2018 GoldWing

Keep it civil
DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

Re: 2018 GoldWing

Post by DevilsFan »

Gradona...I recently traded my NC700 with DCT for a Versys. I had the NC700 for about a month. I just couldn't get used to the DCT.

Let me elaborate...I've owned my CTX700 (manual) for almost 3 years now. Been on that forum the same. Those that have their DCT's claim they will NEVER go back to a manual!
With my NC700 there were 3 modes of the DCT. "D" mode is for cruising and shifts very quickly so I was in 6th gear at 38 - 42 mph. The "S" mode is designed for holding the shift a little longer. It wouldn't shift into 6th until I was above 58 mph. Then there's the "M" mode where you use the "+" and "-" buttons to shift. THAT was the one that I really just couldn't get used to! It just felt too weird.

With that said, the DCT is AMAZING!!! At take-off, it shifts so quickly and I was riding way more aggressively than I normally do. You wouldn't think that an auto shifter vs a skilled manual shifter would make a difference...but I would put up any same-cc sport bike against that DCT!!! It may not beat a sports bike off the line but I bet it will easily keep pace. (Eventually I think the sports bike would get to speed and ride past the DCT.)

Regardless, my best advice to you...GIVE IT TIME!!!! Get used to how it works and all the modes. Once you have that down, you may be one of those previous mentioned "Never going back to manual" riders!
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

Gradona
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour

Post by Gradona »

DevilsFan, Thanks for the insight. At the age of 67 I've done my fair share of shifting. I'm looking forward to getting used to the missing clutch lever. I hope I don't regret it and I don't think I will. I'll post some thoughts through the Spring.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

At 71 over 30 motorcycles and still main means of travel still will take a stick shift in cars and trucks all so if choice. Guess just not a shift less person :lmao: . A few times with a cane or crutch strapped on bike a automatic may have been better? :putput:

Gradona
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Gradona »

It's all mine, Now I'm praying for Spring!!

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Congrats Grant. You'll hate the normal drive, but the sport setting is pretty good. Keep us posted

Gradona
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Gradona »

Finally got it home yesterday. You're right Tim, Tour Mode is pretty lame. I tried Sport Mode for a short time and I think that's where I'll spend most of my riding time. I paired my Sena SMH10 and that was a snap compared to the BMW. I'll post updates later. Right now I'm a kid in a candy store [emoji41] .

KAJUN
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: HARLEY THE BIG MOTHER

Post by KAJUN »

Gradona wrote:Image

Finally got it home yesterday. You're right Tim, Tour Mode is pretty lame. I tried Sport Mode for a short time and I think that's where I'll spend most of my riding time. I paired my Sena SMH10 and that was a snap compared to the BMW. I'll post updates later. Right now I'm a kid in a candy store [emoji41] .

Your images, I presume of your bike are not coming up in your posts........at least not on my puter anyway
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Post by tabasco »

One concern I'd have is the entirely new design front end ... unconventional, for sure. Probably awesome handling, no maint, and bulletproof ... but still ... don't know. I mean, there's no triple tree or forks ... steering neck is hooked to wishbone assembly by tie rods? Is that good? Stand up to pot holes" You tell me, I don't know. Like I say it's probably bulletproof, but a couple years down the road we'll know better. But, I'll bet it handles like a dream and waiting might not be worth it if you like the bike and could be riding it now. I'm tempted ...

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Looks an awful lot the old Girder Front Suspension. There was a lotta Unsprung Weight with that one.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Girder was my though all so. Brit bikes had a lot of them and Indian all so .Indian untill WWII had one with a half leaf spring along with it. The big four was the last one I saw it on Indian. The Chief had them to but went away before the four did. Four was not made again Post War. :putput:

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

BMW has by far the best front end to take away bump and hole feeling I have rode. May be a little too good other wise as feed back may not seem as good . Have not rode one over 100 miles in ride trades but impressed. :putput:

Skipper
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: S83

Post by Skipper »

Hossack suspension. Been around since the seventies, bmw has been using it on their k series since '05? I believe.

Gradona
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Gradona »

I got my first 100 miles in yesterday. It's going to take a while to unlearn shifting but what a joy that process will be. Neither Tour mode or Sport mode shift at the same points that I would but they are both probably more efficient I would be. The new front suspension is, hands down, the smoothest I've ever ridden as is the engine. Even though the bike is about 75 pounds heavier than my K16 was it feels 100 pounds lighter. The only downside I have found so far is that neither the side cases nor the top case are big enough to hold my full face helmet even though they advertise that top case is. I'll post further after riding weather gets here. Bottom line for now is that I'm very happy with my purchase.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Is your head the size of a N.K. leader? [emoji2]

Gradona
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Gradona »

old time rider wrote:Is your head the size of a N.K. leader? [emoji2]

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Grant, my only head shake was the right saddlebag. I think it's actually smaller than the saddle bags on my vision. Actually I know it is. Not a deal breaker for me but some might bulk.
You're correct neither mode shifts where I would either and it takes a few hundred miles to work out when you'll want to button shift it yourself.
I am still on the fence. Size is similar to my kawi, but far more toys on the wing. I see the only advantage as knee bend for the wing. The kawi is great but multiple 400+ mile day's can get to my right knee. On the other hand I only kept my f6b for two weeks before getting back on a sports tour. I will have to go get the wing for a weekend and see what I think.

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Post by tabasco »

Of course, anything other than a C90 is really just settling.

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

Post by DevilsFan »

Gradona wrote:I got my first 100 miles in yesterday. It's going to take a while to unlearn shifting but what a joy that process will be. Neither Tour mode or Sport mode shift at the same points that I would but they are both probably more efficient I would be. The new front suspension is, hands down, the smoothest I've ever ridden as is the engine. Even though the bike is about 75 pounds heavier than my K16 was it feels 100 pounds lighter. The only downside I have found so far is that neither the side cases nor the top case are big enough to hold my full face helmet even though they advertise that top case is. I'll post further after riding weather gets here. Bottom line for now is that I'm very happy with my purchase.

Congrats, and glad you're liking it!

Like I stated, the DCT isn't for everyone. But for those who get used to it, they swear by it.

Most DCT owners told me to use the manual shift as much as possible. Once getting it down the manual paddles should be a saving grace!
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

DF, you and I talked about this a lot last fall and I got in a fair amount of saddle time to figure it out. I like the DCT, and got used to using it and paddle shifting. I am still of the opinion that DCT is good depending upon riding location and road type. Might even be good for someone who mostly meanders. However if you are a rider that enjoys aggressively riding, DCT would piss you off rather quickly. That's not a knock, rather my opinion based on my investigation last year. My next will likely be DCT cause my aggressive riding isn't regular enough for DCT to be an issue.

Gradona
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Gradona »

Yep, My "Aggressive" days are over. [emoji41]