It's Ramond's fault...

Keep it civil
Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 03 FXDWG

Re: It's Ramond's fault...

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

RoadKing wrote:A WHOLE lot of my friends have retired from the building trades with a good retirement and mortgage free... high school diploma only and in California! Harleys in the garage at night and lots of day time rides.

And then, there’s lots of sniveling college degree fools out there with unpaid student loans, got nothing, but think the world owes them something. I’m proud of my friends and the company i keep. Fun loving happy people! :cheers:
I fall somewhere right in the middle of that. Community College; for when you want to be over-qualified for blue collar work, but unqualified for the white collar world [emoji106]
:evil: [emoji56]

I have a lot of opinions, some of them professional, some of them educated, most of them I just pulled out of my @$$

Some of my best stupidity is largely self-inflicted. :roll:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Now a state wants to REQUIRE every HS student apply to a college.

https://www.libertyheadlines.com/nm-bil ... y-college/

"But those state politicians obviously aren’t considering the possibility that too many students were going to college in the past and that the decline reflects better knowledge about the balance of costs and benefits of college seeping into the minds of New Mexicans.

The idea that was current up until about a decade ago—that college is a great investment for nearly everyone—has been fading in the face of reality.

Many young Americans and their families know that college can turn out to be a costly bust and they don’t want to make that mistake.

Writing on Forbes, Preston Cooper points out that about a third of recent college graduates are underemployed.

Choosing not to go to college makes perfect sense if you want to avoid spending years of time and lots of money in college only to end up working in a job you could do without this “investment.”

He points to data compiled by the New York Federal Reserve Bank showing that just having a college degree does not get you a good job."

"This legislation is a new advance for the Nanny State.

It is hard enough for young people to figure out which way to go after high school without the state government forcing them to either apply to college or show that they have some other plan in mind.

If New Mexico colleges and universities see any uptick in enrollments, they will mostly be from students who are not ready for or interested in higher education—the sort of disengaged kids who need a lot of remedial coursework and will still probably drop out after a semester or two.

And even if a few of those marginal students do get their degrees, that just puts them in with the huge throng of others who are trying to signal their employability.

In his new book The Case Against Education (which I reviewed https://www.jamesgmartin.center/2018/01 ... education/), economics professor Bryan Caplan points out that the apparent benefit of college is mostly that it gives graduates a positional advantage in the search for jobs."
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

Herb wrote:
He points to data compiled by the New York Federal Reserve Bank showing that just having a college degree does not get you a good job.

I could not agree more. I have always contended that a college degree might help you get your foot in the door, the rest is up to you. A college degree does show that you are capable of completing something that takes time and effort. But if you picked a worthless major and can't find a 6 figure job in basket weaving, sorry that's on you.
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

JFL Live wrote:
Herb wrote:
He points to data compiled by the New York Federal Reserve Bank showing that just having a college degree does not get you a good job.

I could not agree more. I have always contended that a college degree might help you get your foot in the door, the rest is up to you. A college degree does show that you are capable of completing something that takes time and effort. But if you picked a worthless major and can't find a 6 figure job in basket weaving, sorry that's on you.
Soft people don’t want to ‘work with their hands’ is why so many go to college. They graduate with a worthless degree in sociology and a student loan debt. Then they bitch and moan. Fuck em.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

RoadKing wrote:
JFL Live wrote:
Herb wrote:

Soft people don’t want to ‘work with their hands’ is why so many go to college. They graduate with a worthless degree in sociology and a student loan debt. Then they bitch and moan. Fuck em.
Poor decisions make for a poor life... Paying off school debt while working for McDonald's makes for a lousy life.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Seems to me that some people bitch too much about other people's choices.
Envy? Nose trouble? Regrets?
Sometimes people make a choice and it's a wrong one, sometimes it's right, but regardless it's theirs.
Funny but it's always the self proclaimed conservatives....how could this be?

Anyhow it was an interesting read with folks sharing their views. I am not a religious guy, most know this, but I have never understood why the BB theory and the Christian faith can't coexist?

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

Burfunkle...
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Well if nothing else, we've supported my theory that when faced with the overwhelming beauty and wonder of creation and therefore forced to ponder the infinite, the eternal, and even the existence of God, people will quickly degenerate into political squabbles. Every time. :donno:

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 03 FXDWG

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

jeffcoslacker wrote:Well if nothing else, we've supported my theory that when faced with the overwhelming beauty and wonder of creation and therefore forced to ponder the infinite, the eternal, and even the existence of God, people will quickly degenerate into political squabbles. Every time. :donno:
:lolfall:
I have some "theories" about that, but I don't want to stir the pot.
:OhNo;
:evil: [emoji56]

I have a lot of opinions, some of them professional, some of them educated, most of them I just pulled out of my @$$

Some of my best stupidity is largely self-inflicted. :roll:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Jeffco you got that right and that's why it is Raymond's fault

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Re: It's Raymond's fault...

Post by Cuban »

JFL Live wrote: Back on the purple board whenever someone asked, if you could go anywhere back in time where would you go?

And my response was always, I would go back in time to before the big bang! [emoji106]

And then no one would get it... :donno:

(Raymond is still on Facebook)
[emoji2] I got it, but I was in between alternate universes at the time, so when I tried to answer it got all twisted around and came out like, "Fuck You, you F'kn F'kr!" Sorry.

Tell Raymond Cuban says Hello! [emoji106]

JFL Live wrote: I think what Hawking was alluding to was it would be impossible for us to observe what was going on before the big bang because as he said, time was in a bent shape. There may have been a big event that kicked off our observable universe, but I can't accept that all of everything started with an infinitely small singularity. Gotta be more to it than that... imo.
Agreed. We gots to keep looking... :cheers:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

My only question is who cares? We know that the universe in which we reside was a result of the BB that resulted in our current local. We also know that the universe in which we reside is still expanding. It would make more sense to consider where it's going than where it's been, correct?
Doesn't matter if some diety or natural phenomenon started it billions of years back, it happened. If you want to credit a diety great, if you don't that's fine as well. Funny how faith is selective.

wally w
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 1987 VS700

Post by wally w »

what I find more interesting than how we got here and why is there are bugs that light up.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

wally w wrote:what I find more interesting than how we got here and why is there are bugs that light up.
Weeeellllll...the compound that makes it happen is called Luciferase...so obviously it's the work of Satan.

Yes, I'm well aware that Lucifer means "Light bringer" in Latin :lolfall:

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »

R.I.P. Professor.

wally w
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 1987 VS700

Post by wally w »

jeffcoslacker wrote:
wally w wrote:what I find more interesting than how we got here and why is there are bugs that light up.
Weeeellllll...the compound that makes it happen is called Luciferase...so obviously it's the work of Satan.

that doesn't explain why. maybe I'd like to light up to. Could be a boon to old people walking in the dark.

Yes, I'm well aware that Lucifer means "Light bringer" in Latin :lolfall:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

wally w wrote:

that doesn't explain why. maybe I'd like to light up to. Could be a boon to old people walking in the dark.
Apparently a lot of living things have the potential for it in their genetics. You probably could too, but it would come at the expense of some protein deficiency or something that just doesn't work out well for higher organisms.

It depends what you are, where you live, and how you taste. A tasty proto-human primate that advertises its presence in the dark in a world fulla animal predators isn't going to be very good at survival.

Fireflies taste like shit, apparently. Ever watch a toad try to eat one? :lolfall: You only get to see it once per toad, because after that they never bother again.

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

Cuban wrote:
R.I.P. Professor.

R.I.P Stephen Hawking... I don't read very many books, but I read his.

_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

That's cute JFL. Did you make it? Bet that kind of stuff would E-bay well the next week. :putput: :putput: