jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Re: It's Ramond's fault...

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Prodigal_Sun wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote:
Prodigal_Sun wrote:

But it's a poor reference point. A million years seems like a long time to us, because we know that the universe has existed for billions, but if you follow that second back infinitely at some point in time a second was an eternity.
Time is meaningless and irrelevant if it doesn't describe some action of matter, which is caused by energy in some form or another. The initial form of the energy released was completely and purely incoherent, and matter did not exist in ANY form, so time within that framework is kinda moot (heh, finally got to use it), except MAYBE as a function of the rate of temperature change as expansion took place. But I would think that even if it did have any relevance, as you say it would not be on the scale we're accustomed to.

Until a certain point, no matter, no light, no force carriers (NO, not Midi-chlorians, jeez [emoji2] ), not even the actual LAWS of quantum physics or gravity or electro-magnetism or any of that would exist. The framework upon which they exist could not even exist yet.
Energy can be neither created nor destroyed, so it isn't possible for there to have been a time where there was no energy, and then suddenly there was.

Looking at it from the rate of expansion point of view, you look at time vs distance so as the seconds that have existed become fractionally smaller and smaller so too does the space the Universe occupies. It would have all been contained in fractions of millimeters, going back logically. Just like one "day" an infinite number of years in the future a century, by our measurement, will pass like a millisecond. As long as it's passing through the void of space it will theoretically never stop expanding, unless "dark matter" is found to occupy the depths of space and has a mass to act against the expansion, if so, than one day the expansion will stop. All the stars will have burnt out and the Universe will be still. And dark, but "filled" will these "massive" objects in the space that it expanded to, and beyond that would be nothing, but potential energy expanding out into the void searching for a place to happen.

So, anyway. Towards the beginning, the rate of expansion would have happened rapidly, because of all the stored up energy, but relative to the amount of time that has ever existed, it would have taken all of eternity to happen. Follow? :ahha: :lol:
Mostly agree. But like matter, nobody ever said the energy was "created" by the Big Bang. "Liberated" might be a better word. Anyone who said created was giving their (incorrect) interpretation of the theory.

And actually the endless expansion scenario, if it were to work that way, is even more dismal than what you said. Take a quick read on "Ultimate heat death of the universe" on Wikipedia or anywhere else you can find a decent reference. It describes the timeline for the universe to use itself up (maximum entropy) and spread too thin for anything left to interact with anything else. All the way out to the time that individual atoms finally fall apart and there's nothing left but a kind of haze of photons and weakly energetic sub-atomic particles that can no longer join up to do anything. At that point, gravity would no longer exist, matter could never be created again, and the whole thing just slowly falls apart becoming more and more diffuse until it is essentially gone.

How sad. No trace of what it once was.... :donno:

EDIT: I missed your last post. You are obviously familiar with the heat death scenario [emoji106]

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 03 FXDWG

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

jeffcoslacker wrote:
Mostly agree. But like matter, nobody ever said the energy was "created" by the Big Bang. "Liberated" might be a better word. Anyone who said created was giving their (incorrect) interpretation of the theory.
Just boggles my mind logically. If energy can't be created, where didn't come from.

This is highly illogical captain. [emoji14] :lol:
:evil: [emoji56]

I have a lot of opinions, some of them professional, some of them educated, most of them I just pulled out of my @$$

Some of my best stupidity is largely self-inflicted. :roll:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Prodigal_Sun wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote:
Just boggles my mind logically. If energy can't be created, where didn't come from.

This is highly illogical captain. [emoji14] :lol:
I've found that there are two concepts most people have a lotta trouble wrapping their head around, and to understand any of it, you have to become comfortable with them.

"Infinite" and "Nothing"

You think you understand them, but they generally don't compute for people, except as an abstract. Because in our everyday experience, every single one we've ever had, has shown us that beyond every fence, every wall, every ocean, etc, is something else. Somewhere else.

And there is no place, even in reachable space, that contains nothing. Nothing simply doesn't exist for us, outside of a concept. It doesn't compute.

You have to do a little conditioning to fully accept those two things for what they really are. THEN move forward from there. And a lot of things start to drop into place, that didn't before.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Then you start working on breaking out of 3+1 dimensional thinking, and realize there are other things happening outside of our direct perception...

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Think most all on this so called motorcycle form are ....laymen....We get most our theory's from watching BIG BANG lots of times! :lmao: :putput:

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

jeffcoslacker wrote:Then you start working on breaking out of 3+1 dimensional thinking, and realize there are other things happening outside of our direct perception...
It sounds an awful lot like you're saying 'In the beginning, there was nothing' :lol: Careful quoting the bible is a fast pass to being discredited as an intellectual! You'll get drummed right outta the "smart guy" club
:lolfall: :OhNo; :lmao:

I have a lot of opinions, some of them professional, some of them educated, most of them I just pulled out of my @$$

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

jeffcoslacker wrote: could never be created again, and the whole thing just slowly falls apart becoming more and more diffuse until it is essentially gone.

How sad. No trace of what it once was.... :donno:

EDIT: I missed your last post. You are obviously familiar with the heat death scenario [emoji106]
That's what I mean though, the energy is still there. Exactly the same amount of it, it can only change it's form.

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

old time rider wrote:Think most all on this so called motorcycle form are ....laymen....We get most our theory's from watching BIG BANG lots of times! :lmao: :putput:
I took too many math and science classes at the Community College in my late teens early 20's :cheers:

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

Prodigal_Sun wrote:
old time rider wrote:How can a theory be anything but a guess ? With RK on this.Just the word before any thing means just that! Your guess :putput: :putput:
Maybe in layman's terms. In the scientific community it means something else. What most people refer to as a "theory" would better be described as a hypothesis. Or 'hypothetical" it's an untested idea. Once it's gone through the Scientific Method it can become a Theory, as long as it obeys all the scientific laws ie. the law of gravity, it has been published in a scientific journal and subjected to peer review. Peer review is where all the scientists in the world try and poke holes in the hypothesis and disprove it somehow, if no one can, THEN it becomes a Theory.
OK... hog wash. Laymen? Really? My theory is right but yours is wrong? Even a layman can see through that. Scientific law alone is sacrosanct, the result of incontrovertible empirical evidence AND NOT THE RESULT OF A CONSENSUS OF SO CALLED SCIENTISTS. Laymen? Kiss my arse, brainiac. Theory is the same for a layman such as myself as it is to an elitist science guy such as yourself.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Re: It's Raymond's fault...

Post by Cuban »

JFL Live wrote: I miss arguing with him over the "Big-Bang" theory...
[emoji2] I miss Raymond too. He was another guy who made ya think, and you could tell he liked to laugh and have fun. [emoji106]
JFL Live wrote: ... There may have been an explosion. What I don't believe is that there was nothing before that. Also I don't believe all matter was compressed into an infinitely small point at the moment before the big bang.
[emoji2] I'm with you there brother. I never could accept the Big Bang scenario. Yeah, I saw where Hawking had come out with his new explanation, but like most of the current science, it simply asks too much of me. It asks me to 'believe'. Don't get me wrong, I have great respect for what we're trying to achieve, and amazed at the lengths we're going through in that endeavour. I don't doubt our powers of observation. We've built magnificent tools to help us reach out a great distance... Where I think we're falling down, so far, is with our conclusions. When our calculations won't resolve, well we just make up some new stuff and say there must be this much of it. See! It works now. OK, so 97% of all matter in the entire universe is invisible? OK... We have a habit of finding exactly what we're looking for. I know we'll keep investigating, and that's good, but it seems as though most of the newer ideas being brought forward are using the 'Big Bang' as a given, and that may be a mistake... [emoji41]

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

Yep. Nothing exploded and became something! Do folks accept that ‘theory’ on faith? [emoji2]
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

RoadKing wrote:
Prodigal_Sun wrote:
old time rider wrote:How can a theory be anything but a guess ? With RK on this.Just the word before any thing means just that! Your guess :putput: :putput:
Maybe in layman's terms. In the scientific community it means something else. What most people refer to as a "theory" would better be described as a hypothesis. Or 'hypothetical" it's an untested idea. Once it's gone through the Scientific Method it can become a Theory, as long as it obeys all the scientific laws ie. the law of gravity, it has been published in a scientific journal and subjected to peer review. Peer review is where all the scientists in the world try and poke holes in the hypothesis and disprove it somehow, if no one can, THEN it becomes a Theory.
OK... hog wash. Laymen? Really? My theory is right but yours is wrong? Even a layman can see through that. Scientific law alone is sacrosanct, the result of incontrovertible empirical evidence AND NOT THE RESULT OF A CONSENSUS OF SO CALLED SCIENTISTS. Laymen? Kiss my arse, brainiac. Theory is the same for a layman such as myself as it is to an elitist science guy such as yourself.
I'm just gonna leave this right here.

"The definition of a scientific theory (often contracted to "theory" for the sake of brevity) as used in the disciplines of science is significantly different from the common vernacular usage of the word "theory".[4][Note 1] In everyday speech, "theory" can imply that something is an unsubstantiated and speculative guess,[4] the opposite of its meaning in science."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

You're doin' great though! [emoji106] Keep talking! :fu:

:cheers:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Prodigal_Sun wrote:
RoadKing wrote:
Prodigal_Sun wrote:
I'm just gonna leave this right here.

"The definition of a scientific theory (often contracted to "theory" for the sake of brevity) as used in the disciplines of science is significantly different from the common vernacular usage of the word "theory".[4][Note 1] In everyday speech, "theory" can imply that something is an unsubstantiated and speculative guess,[4] the opposite of its meaning in science."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

You're doin' great though! [emoji106] Keep talking! :fu:

:cheers:
you are correct.

In science, "theory", as you already said I think, follows hypothesis, which is a conjecture that needs to be proven. Which, in regular vernacular, makes hypothesis more along the lines of what non-science types consider "theory". A scientist does not theorize, in posing a question, they hypothesize. The intermediate step between hypothesis and theory is experimentation.

Theory is what you have after the experimentation you preformed appeared to validate your hypothesis. Or more commonly, when many different experiments all seem to validate a single hypothesis.

The actual REASON that the word theory is used is to reflect the idea that science itself should never stand still or be too sure of itself, EVERYTHING should always be questioned and challenged. When a concept is so provable and fundamental that it is essentially unquestionable, it is considered a natural or scientific law, for the sake of that particular field anyway.

A theory, in scientific terms, means that it held up against experimentation designed to both prove and disprove it, and is scientifically useful in that it can be used to accurately predict the outcomes of further experimentation, which doesn't actually mean it it absolutely correct...it just means that it works. But could be replaced if another theory were to show more validity when put to task.

Which is why things such as Relativity remain a theory. It works, it accurately explains what we see, and it holds up again and again to every attempt to come up with a different result, so for now, we accept it as the best we got. Doesn't make it absolute.

wally w
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 1987 VS700

Post by wally w »

Have any of you considered a full time job? It really gives you something to do other than talk about nothing.

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

Sorry if I come across as disrespectful. :HatTip:

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

Cuban wrote:
JFL Live wrote: I miss arguing with him over the "Big-Bang" theory...
[emoji2] I miss Raymond too. He was another guy who made ya think, and you could tell he liked to laugh and have fun. [emoji106]

Back on the purple board whenever someone asked, if you could go anywhere back in time where would you go?

And my response was always, I would go back in time to before the big bang! [emoji106]

And then no one would get it... :donno:

:lolfall:

(Raymond is still on Facebook)
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Prodigal_Sun wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote:Then you start working on breaking out of 3+1 dimensional thinking, and realize there are other things happening outside of our direct perception...
It sounds an awful lot like you're saying 'In the beginning, there was nothing' :lol: Careful quoting the bible is a fast pass to being discredited as an intellectual! You'll get drummed right outta the "smart guy" club
Not at all. I'm saying there was no beginning. Only the one we ultimately became entangled with. That was not an absolute either.

Did you ever see Sagan's flatlanders thought experiment?

If you were a two-dimensional being, perfectly flat and lived in a square house that was perfectly flat, you could describe the interior volume in terms of X-Y measurements. But if your house was actually a 3-D cube, it would be made up of SIX such squares, linked together in a configuration you could not only NOT see, but not even be able to envision. And the actual interior volume would be based on X-Y-Z coordinates, giving a three dimensional volume, again, completely lost to you.

So things transpiring inside that 3-D volume that you can't perceive would be invisible to you, UNLESS they directly intersected your plane of existence. And what you would see and perceive from that event would only be the 2-D sliver or "shadow" effect of what was actually going down (or up, as you have no concept of either).

You could try as hard as you want...you might be able to eventually make some sense of the activity, even describe it usefully and use that knowledge to your advantage to predict what will happen in your world when certain things start happening...but you will never fully grasp the big picture of what is happening in a higher dimension...only describe and predict the effects on your world because of it.

All this stuff you see and hear about force carrying particles and gravity carriers and all that shit is what this is about...attempting to at least quantify not where this energy and forces COME FROM, per se, but just to understand the closest juncture of an effect that comes into our existence. When they say they identified the particle that does this and that, really IT doesn't do that. It is a manifestation of what is doing that. And those relationships could go up (and down) the chain infinitely.

If you follow me this far, kiss everything you know and love goodbye. There's no turning back :uhh: [emoji2]

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

Cuban wrote:
[emoji2] I'm with you there brother. I never could accept the Big Bang scenario. Yeah, I saw where Hawking had come out with his new explanation, but like most of the current science, it simply asks too much of me. It asks me to 'believe'. Don't get me wrong, I have great respect for what we're trying to achieve, and amazed at the lengths we're going through in that endeavour. I don't doubt our powers of observation. We've built magnificent tools to help us reach out a great distance... Where I think we're falling down, so far, is with our conclusions. When our calculations won't resolve, well we just make up some new stuff and say there must be this much of it. See! It works now. OK, so 97% of all matter in the entire universe is invisible? OK... We have a habit of finding exactly what we're looking for. I know we'll keep investigating, and that's good, but it seems as though most of the newer ideas being brought forward are using the 'Big Bang' as a given, and that may be a mistake... [emoji41]

I think what Hawking was alluding to was it would be impossible for us to observe what was going on before the big bang because as he said, time was in a bent shape. There may have been a big event that kicked off our observable universe, but I can't accept that all of everything started with an infinitely small singularity. Gotta be more to it than that... imo.
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

JFL Live wrote:
Cuban wrote: There may have been a big event that kicked off our observable universe, but I can't accept that all of everything started with an infinitely small singularity. Gotta be more to it than that... imo.
You are making the mistake of applying simple concepts of volume and energy and time to a condition where all of that would be completely meaningless.

Just like once you pass the event horizon of a black hole, all bets are off. You can no longer use any kind of mathematics or physics or time to describe it. It is a condition that cannot exist in "normal" space or reality.

As such, they may represent the only way this flatlander universe ever makes physical contact with the interior volume of the cube, so to speak.

Aside from in its beginning, I mean.

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

jeffcoslacker wrote:
Prodigal_Sun wrote:
Not at all. I'm saying there was no beginning. Only the one we ultimately became entangled with. That was not an absolute either.

Did you ever see Sagan's flatlanders thought experiment?

If you were a two-dimensional being, perfectly flat and lived in a square house that was perfectly flat, you could describe the interior volume in terms of X-Y measurements. But if your house was actually a 3-D cube, it would be made up of SIX such squares, linked together in a configuration you could not only NOT see, but not even be able to envision. And the actual interior volume would be based on X-Y-Z coordinates, giving a three dimensional volume, again, completely lost to you.

So things transpiring inside that 3-D volume that you can't perceive would be invisible to you, UNLESS they directly intersected your plane of existence. And what you would see and perceive from that event would only be the 2-D sliver or "shadow" effect of what was actually going down (or up, as you have no concept of either).

You could try as hard as you want...you might be able to eventually make some sense of the activity, even describe it usefully and use that knowledge to your advantage to predict what will happen in your world when certain things start happening...but you will never fully grasp the big picture of what is happening in a higher dimension...only describe and predict the effects on your world because of it.

All this stuff you see and hear about force carrying particles and gravity carriers and all that shit is what this is about...attempting to at least quantify not where this energy and forces COME FROM, per se, but just to understand the closest juncture of an effect that comes into our existence. When they say they identified the particle that does this and that, really IT doesn't do that. It is a manifestation of what is doing that. And those relationships could go up (and down) the chain infinitely.

If you follow me this far, kiss everything you know and love goodbye. There's no turning back :uhh: [emoji2]
I'm aware of that concept. All that does is reaffirm the possibility of "God" or whatever name you want to use for a consciousness that's higher, and greater than our own.

I like bashing people who think that if you entertain the notion of religion that you are automatically intellectually inferior, because I've been there. I went full blown atheist at one point in my life. It was also the most miserable time in my life. Everything was in a constant shambles, and I was probably one of the most superstitious people you'd ever meet.

At the same time I poke fun at people that unquestioningly follow dogma and whatever is spoon fed them by religious authorities, because I was that growing up too, and could very well have never gone beyond that. You can get far in life by just putting on a blindfold and riding the bus, but there's nothing wrong with hopping off and taking a look around and seeing where the other buses are headed.