Really Ruger? Even you guys?

Keep it civil
jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Really Ruger? Even you guys?

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Goddammit I get tired of having to fix new things before I can use them. Do I just have incredibly bad luck, or is everything put together by mouth-breathing astrotards anymore?

:bang:

I bought an LCP .380 and some ammo. Loaded a mag with the Hornady JHP's, pulled the slide back...jam. Lock slide, drop mag, clear stuck round. Try again. Jam. :bang:

Maybe this ammo? I try the Sig ball target ammo. Feed. OK, well, this is...wait. Next one...jam. FUCK. :bang: :hellfire:

Now the slide won't even lock back. WTF? It's not coming all the way to the rear...I can't line the catch to the slide notch. JFC.

So I take it apart.

I WOULD have taken it back where I got it, but I got it from Academy Sports, and they now make you actually sign a friggin' lawyer-created form that says if it doesn't work, it's your problem. Don't bring it back here, we won't take it back. I should have told them to put it back in the display case and left at that point, but hindsight.

Anyway, some dillhole put the inner recoil spring in backwards...it flares out to larger diameter on one end, supposed to be on the muzzle end. They put it in the other way, it was interfering with the outer spring and limiting the travel. Works fine now.

I'm going to send Ruger a bill for the warranty repair :lmao:

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Re: Really Ruger? Even you guys?

Post by YoDude »

Revolvers don't jam.

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Speaking of Ruger and revolvers, you guys know I have the black powder mental defect that makes me be drawn to guns that take forever to load and shoot. But when you speak of the Ruger Old Army, you are talking about the bad boy of them all. I LOVE them. I WANT another one. I held a stainless 1976 bicentennial model earlier today at a gun shop, and I suppose I was like a 35 year old woman holding a baby...my hormones were surging, I felt my biological clock saying if I don't have another one now, it may never happen... [emoji2]

Well they wanted too much for the one they had. It was solid enough, that goes without saying...they are, after all, essentially indestructible. The only thing that ever happens to them is the bore wears out and there's no rifling left, after many decades of continuous use...but who the hell has that kinda time to applying to loading and firing? Rare to see that happen...but it looked rode hard and put up wet. Stainless is hard to screw up, but it had some pitting and some probably permanent gack in the recesses...nope, not gonna buy it.

But I found this one....VERY nice...in my range, money-wise and travel-wise...waiting for a reply. Gonna piss myself... :lmao:

wally w
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 1987 VS700

Post by wally w »

You can't be disappointed with a Hi point since one does not expect much.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

Negativity attracts negativity, Jeffco. I know that doesn’t sound scientific, but neither does blaming bad luck. Shit happens, yeah, but good stuff happens, too. Good with the bad and so on.

By the way, that’s a beautiful piece. Wish it was mine!
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

wally w wrote:You can't be disappointed with a Hi point since one does not expect much.
Actually, those were one of the things I was thinking of when I said fixing new things. I had a Hi Point JCP .40, and it wouldn't feed either, right outta the box. I had to do some modification to get it working right.

But like you said, it didn't really faze me, as I kinda expected as much. How good could a $160 .40 semi-auto be? Well...pretty good actually, once I chased the bugs out.

Just too bulky to be good for anything other than target.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

Had a close to my heart Brother, who passed in recent years, that used to sponsor huge wonderful yearly gatherings at his privately owned wilderness area in N California for the purpose of ‘black powder mental defect’ and love of shooting muzzle loaders. Many wore practical old time frontier garb. It was a hoot. Many bikers and some with felony records that only allowed for black powder shooting. You would have loved it, Jeffco! Wonderful people, proficient men and women in competitive meets and their kids in attendance, it was great fun! My kind of party!
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

RoadKing wrote:Negativity attracts negativity, Jeffco. I know that doesn’t sound scientific, but neither does blaming bad luck. Shit happens, yeah, but good stuff happens, too. Good with the bad and so on.

By the way, that’s a beautiful piece. Wish it was mine!
No, I get that. It's only because of some good fortune that kinda fell out of the sky that I can even contemplate a toy or two right now. [emoji106]

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

RoadKing wrote:Had a close to my heart Brother, who passed in recent years, that used to sponsor huge wonderful yearly gatherings at his privately owned wilderness area in N California for the purpose of ‘black powder mental defect’ and love of shooting muzzle loaders. Many bikers and some with felony records that only allowed for black powder shooting. You would have loved it, Jeffco! Wonderful people, proficient men and women in competitive meets and their kids in attendance, it was great fun! My kind of party!
Yeah that sounds great [emoji106]

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

So are you saying that you loaded a new handgun without first breaking it down and cleaning, lubing, and reassembling? That's a bad practice.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Tbeck wrote:So are you saying that you loaded a new handgun without first breaking it down and cleaning, lubing, and reassembling? That's a bad practice.
Yeah yeah. So is selling guns that aren't ready to use.

I know what you are saying, but there is nothing in the manual of any gun I've ever had that suggests this is necessary or even a good idea. I gave it a cursory look, it was a little heavy on the assembly oil but nothing that would prevent it from feeding. If it fed ok, I would have taken it apart and inspected/mopped it out anyway before firing. Because as you say it, a good practice.

What gets me is MANY people have no concept of that. They buy one like this, load a mag and throw it in their drawer or purse and expect it to function if/when needed. It would be nice if there was a reasonable expectation that it would. But that hasn't been the case...at least not with me....admittedly they were cheap weapons, but the last three I bought (new) would have failed to feed or fire when needed if not for me going through them first... :donno:

That's kinda sad. It's not rocket science. They aren't that complex. There is no reason they shouldn't function reliably from the factory.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Yah I was busting your nuts, but it's a good practice to do the breakdown, clean, lube and reassembling. Might catch something that could blow your nose off.
My sig when bought new got the treatment after which I noticed that the slide pin looked to be a little further out than it should be. Disassembled again and found it would back out very easy, loctited and reassembled. It gets rechecked every time it's cleaned now.

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

COULDA BEEN RIGHT FROM THE FACTORY, BUT DISASSEMBLED ON THE COUNTER, AND ...
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

HARRIS wrote:COULDA BEEN RIGHT FROM THE FACTORY, BUT DISASSEMBLED ON THE COUNTER, AND ...

More than likely that's what happened...... [emoji106] I've seen ir done so many times at Academy it ain't funny....and yes that form sucks..
As soon as the sales person threw it out on the counter I knew right then things aren't exactly right......Now I understand their position on repairs but they could make arrangements with some local gun repairs shops in their areas to take care of this problem.....
Had a similar experience at Academy.... same weapon.....guy behind the counter couldn't bring the receiver back....never did get it to open......when he proposed getting another one ...I said hell no... and left..
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

You all are lost with out that big rough dumb ass guy! What was his name?He could make about any shell fit any gun. :putput:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

old time rider wrote:You all are lost with out that big rough dumb ass guy! What was his name?He could make about any shell fit any gun. :putput:
Jump

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

jeffcoslacker wrote:Speaking of Ruger and revolvers, you guys know I have the black powder mental defect that makes me be drawn to guns that take forever to load and shoot. But when you speak of the Ruger Old Army, you are talking about the bad boy of them all. I LOVE them. I WANT another one. I held a stainless 1976 bicentennial model earlier today at a gun shop, and I suppose I was like a 35 year old woman holding a baby...my hormones were surging, I felt my biological clock saying if I don't have another one now, it may never happen... [emoji2]

Well they wanted too much for the one they had. It was solid enough, that goes without saying...they are, after all, essentially indestructible. The only thing that ever happens to them is the bore wears out and there's no rifling left, after many decades of continuous use...but who the hell has that kinda time to applying to loading and firing? Rare to see that happen...but it looked rode hard and put up wet. Stainless is hard to screw up, but it had some pitting and some probably permanent gack in the recesses...nope, not gonna buy it.

But I found this one....VERY nice...in my range, money-wise and travel-wise...waiting for a reply. Gonna piss myself... :lmao:

That Old Army is a beauty! They remind me of the 1858 Remington Army with Ruger’s added beefiness!
Arthritis sucks!

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Forge wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote:Speaking of Ruger and revolvers, you guys know I have the black powder mental defect that makes me be drawn to guns that take forever to load and shoot. But when you speak of the Ruger Old Army, you are talking about the bad boy of them all. I LOVE them. I WANT another one. I held a stainless 1976 bicentennial model earlier today at a gun shop, and I suppose I was like a 35 year old woman holding a baby...my hormones were surging, I felt my biological clock saying if I don't have another one now, it may never happen... [emoji2]

That Old Army is a beauty! They remind me of the 1858 Remington Army with Ruger’s added beefiness!

That's exactly what they are. Old man Ruger was a cap and ball buff, and wanted to build the best BP pistol you could have. AND he wanted it to be based on an antique design, sharing the same dimensions and operating principles, so that it would always stay classified that way for the purposes of gun laws. So it IS an 1858 Remmy far as the gov't is concerned.

But he used the same metallurgy in the frame and cylinder as is used in the Blackhawk, and they are legendary for their durability and strength. You can routinely overcharge these so much that the ball barely seats below the cylinder opening, and this gun is fine with it.

In fact I read an article where they tried to blow up a badly worn ROA, by loading it with modern SMOKELESS powder and overcharging it as mentioned. It fired loading after loading like this until they became convinced it just wasn't gonna come apart. Then they had the critical parts examined for signs of overstress, and measured for tolerances. still totally in factory spec.

Their conclusion: You can't dangerously overcharge one of these. It's not possible. Oh and they were getting velocities nearing 2000 fps outta the balls with smokeless :eek:

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Jump yes that's the one Jeff. Such a nice person. May be kin to Fred? No Fred is not pro gun. :putput:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Yep ole jump shot 357 in a 38 revolver :lmao: musta learned it in the imaginary spec ops school he attended :x