Hey Travlin

Keep it civil
Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Hey Travlin

Post by Tbeck »

Had the red dot out for some fine tuning yesterday. Have to say I like it for point and shoot. At 25 it drives nails, 50 yards its still very tight and overlapping most poi . At 75 and 100 yards its producing 2.5-3" groups as long as I do my part. I did find I am able to dial the pattern in tightest when the dot is on the lowest intensity. The brighter intensity hides the target too much.
Had a good laugh at myself. I had picked up some federal 38 spec for target and sighting. I had initially asked for some 158gr which is what I'm using in 357 but the sales guy said he had a great deal on the federal. Never occurred to me to look at what grain bullet until I noticed the 357 was 3 inches lower. A couple small adjustments with the 357 corrected that.
Still no issue acquiring the dot, so that doesn't appear to be an issue Ill need to work out, and I definitely like the way they work. Thanks for the article and pointers.

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Re: Hey Navigator

Post by tabasco »

Yo, Dave, wake up!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

I believe you have me confused. :confused:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Navigator, yah sorry bud I typed you in rather than travlin. My bad....

Travlin
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: Ummmmmmmm a 1400

Re: Hey Travlin

Post by Travlin »

Wow just saw this.

Glad it's working out like you had hoped. I figured it might. Dialing it down is where it's at for accuracy, the dot flaring does cover a lot at distance. Sounds like you have about a 2MOA dot so at best it's 2" at 100 yards, without it being fatter than needed.

Kinda fun doing that at distance with a short barrel huh? :cheers:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Travlin, well I screwed up in my title line after reading something navigator wrote, Lol.
I have this on my 6" barrel revolver, and you were close, 3moa. I have found that the lowest intensity setting allows me to more accurately place the dot, less coverage.
So far I have sent around 500 down range, and everything is holding.
I might have to set up another like this :rock:

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

Tbeck wrote:Travlin, well I screwed up in my title line after reading something navigator wrote, Lol.
I have this on my 6" barrel revolver, and you were close, 3moa. I have found that the lowest intensity setting allows me to more accurately place the dot, less coverage.
So far I have sent around 500 down range, and everything is holding.
I might have to set up another like this :rock:
I wonder how that would work on my S&W 500 Mag?
-DBTO

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Should work fine MC. I'd do a search and see what flag's but a friend has one on a 454 cas with no issues.

MadCow
Site Admin

Post by MadCow »

Tbeck wrote:Should work fine MC. I'd do a search and see what flag's but a friend has one on a 454 cas with no issues.
Do you happen to have the manufacturer/model handy?
-DBTO

Travlin
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: Ummmmmmmm a 1400

Post by Travlin »

MadCow wrote:
Tbeck wrote:Should work fine MC. I'd do a search and see what flag's but a friend has one on a 454 cas with no issues.
Do you happen to have the manufacturer/model handy?
One issue dots have had, especially slide mounted on an auto is holding up to the recoil across time.

With the recoil that bad boy has I would be sure to buy one with a killer warenty :bonk:

I have trijicons for the track record and warenty.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

MC, I'm using the fastfire by Burris. Has a lifetime warranty.
Travlin correct me if I'm wrong but with semi's the resulting optic failures are compounded due to the slides actions?
I am not implying that they don't have failures on revolvers, rather the optics are subjected to harsher activity due to slide operation and recoil combined.

MadCow
Site Admin

Post by MadCow »

Tbeck wrote:MC, I'm using the fastfire by Burris. Has a lifetime warranty.
Travlin correct me if I'm wrong but with semi's the resulting optic failures are compounded due to the slides actions?
I am not implying that they don't have failures on revolvers, rather the optics are subjected to harsher activity due to slide operation and recoil combined.
Thanks
-DBTO

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

MC, did some checking and found a couple references/reviews for the Burris fastfire and aimpoint on the 500.