Very cool/strange thing to see today

Keep it civil
jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Very cool/strange thing to see today

Post by jeffcoslacker »

And I was able to capture it for you and upload, as my first youtube video! Woohoo!

This was very odd to see. At least it was a first for me, and I'm pretty observant.

You can read the description on the video for my understanding of what we see here. I'm going to try to upload it again in higher definition so hopefully you can make out the pattern of the exterior of this structure. It's kind of a matrix of small stainless steel plates, in rows. So air can flow through, but there is some measure of protection from the elements for the cars and people inside. And it seemed that today, a totally awesome convergence of unusual weather conditions in the last 24 hours, differing air masses, and lighting angle conspired to produce this eerie effect. I was totally transfixed.

Every time I tried to start my car and drive away, it started getting really good again. I finally got out and asked a passer-by to confirm that they saw it too...I was beginning to wonder if I was having a stroke or flashback or something. [emoji2] :blink:

They too were mesmerized by it once I'd drawn their attention to it. It's the kind of thing you'd initially disregard in your visual field, because at a glance it is patterned like vapor rising from any of a number of sources in a city environment. But there is no vapor here. You are seeing the warm wet air spilling out of the structure and rapidly fogging the cold exterior plating, just on this scale you get the big picture and see the entire air mass moving...un-fricken-real! :rock:

PS, just for a proper perspective, the default "natural" coloration of the building exterior is the silvery grey color. The dark is the moist air spilling out and changing the light refraction as it condenses on the plates. Again, there is no vapor cloud here. Well, actually I suppose there is. But not dense enough to see visibly, without this effect happening.

VRH
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: VS1400GLP - VL1500 C90T

Re: Very cool/strange thing to see today

Post by VRH »

That was very weird. [emoji106]

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

KOOL BEANS
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

You cannot fool me, sir. In spite of your scientific gobbledygook it is plain for all to see that what you recorded was a supernatural event! :eek:
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

Looks a lot like an artificial quantum spacial anomaly...
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

wally w
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 1987 VS700

Post by wally w »

Very cool. We had some heavy fog on the river and all you could see was the very top of a tug going by also there was a large break in the levee from last year and the fog was rolling thru that.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

Yeah that's odd alright...I agree with your assessment of what's taking place....very cool to catch it though...I wonder if you happened to be looking at it from a different angle it would have been missed?
-DBTO

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

MadCow wrote:Yeah that's odd alright...I agree with your assessment of what's taking place....very cool to catch it though...I wonder if you happened to be looking at it from a different angle it would have been missed?
I sent it to the local TV weatherman, he's been great over the years for responding to my questions and commenting on things I send...he agrees with my assessment of the cause as well and found it to be really cool and unusual too...

And yes, I wondered that too about the light, as I said it was a fortunate "perfect storm" of conditions I think, including lighting and viewing angle...I went down to the street over there to get a better look at the cladding on the structure, and you couldn't see the effect at all from street level. Only when I was up in that elevated lot across the street.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

wally w wrote:Very cool. We had some heavy fog on the river and all you could see was the very top of a tug going by also there was a large break in the levee from last year and the fog was rolling thru that.
One of the neatest meteorological effects I ever saw was when I was a kid and we visited a relative in Wyalusing PA. As I remember it, their property was in hills that dropped off sharply to the riverbed, and the terrain across the river was flat as a pancake below, rich farm fields.

Well a very dense inversion layer fog rolled in around daybreak, and it looked like there was an impenetrable white layer just being drawn slowly across that flat landscape from off in the distance, with a leading edge as defined and sharp as a blanket. It obscured everything as it met the river, then slowly started back-building and getting deeper, as we could see some things with some height over there that were still showing above it were slowly being consumed by it...and then suddenly it was even with us, and poured over the hillside we were on. Just like that. One minute perfectly clear, see for 20 miles, then nothing. Complete soup. Really cool. It had all the heaviness and flow characteristic of a dry ice fog, like you described [emoji106]

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »

jeffcoslacker wrote:
[youtube][/youtube]
Well that's very fucking weird... [emoji2]

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Here's a screenshot from google street view of the exterior of that place, if it helps make more sense of how it was happening.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Looks to me like something else we can blame on CERN. Nice video, thanks for posting it. :clap:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:Looks to me like something else we can blame on CERN. Nice video, thanks for posting it. :clap:
Do you think they are God Particles? :shock:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

navigator wrote:
BlacktopTravelr wrote:Looks to me like something else we can blame on CERN. Nice video, thanks for posting it. :clap:
I don't know what they are, but I bet CERN can explain what it is. After all they have admitted more than once they have screwed up. :bonk: These atheist scientist are going to destroy the Earth with their search for the unknown. Let's say they find out what it was like right after the Big Bang, what happens then? The only reason I can see why they would want to know this is so they can (play God) create the universe all over again. Of course on the other hand, more than one CERN scientist has said there is a chance they could make a black hole appear where the Earth is. At least we get to see what is inside a black hole. :lolfall:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:
navigator wrote:
I don't know what they are, but I bet CERN can explain what it is. After all they have admitted more than once they have screwed up. :bonk: These atheist scientist are going to destroy the Earth with their search for the unknown. Let's say they find out what it was like right after the Big Bang, what happens then? The only reason I can see why they would want to know this is so they can (play God) create the universe all over again. Of course on the other hand, more than one CERN scientist has said there is a chance they could make a black hole appear where the Earth is. At least we get to see what is inside a black hole. :lolfall:
Was taken out of context and widely hyped up. Any black hole that could even theoretically be created would have been beyond microscopic and lasted not even milliseconds. Because even at that scale and timeframe, it takes an ENORMOUS amount of power in one very small point to do it. Even CERN doesn't have that ability, or that kind of pinpoint accuracy. If it were to happen, it would be a fluke that would be enjoyed by geeks as patterns in a detector, but nothing that would ever have any effect on anything beyond that little environment...

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

So you know more about what CERN can do than they do? Well, I'll believe and hope you are right and they wouldn't know a black hole if they saw one. [emoji106] [space] :OhNo;

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:So you know more about what CERN can do than they do? Well, I'll believe and hope you are right and they wouldn't know a black hole if they saw one. [emoji106] [space] :OhNo;
Nope, I read the correct articles, not the USA Today "We're all gonna die" tripe.

But even if you understand what a black hole is on even the most basic level, you'd see where it's not possible to just create a dangerously large one with what we got to work with.

Nuclear bombs unleash godawful amounts of energy initially in an implosion that crushes another stage with unimaginable (but calculable) pressure to make it explode gloriously, doesn't come even remotely close to powerful enough to bend physics.

CERN approaches being able to focus that kind of power in one tiny location, but the amount of matter involved in the collision is counted in individual atomic particles. TANSTAAFL, you're not getting a black hole of any consequence out of an exceedingly tiny amount of matter, regardless of how much power you put into it.

Anyone who says otherwise is just amping you up to sell newspapers.

And remember, there were some "physicists" in the 40's that said that an atomic detonation could chain react and burn the entire Earth's atmosphere away.

We lucked out I guess. [emoji2] That never happened.