Keep it civil
Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Incredible,.....A Three MILE Shot.... :-O

Post by Designer »

Civilian Shooter SHATTERS Record With Jaw-Dropping 3-Mile Shot
By Ben Marquis February 12, 2018

Within the realm of the civilian firearm enthusiast world, there are a variety of ways in which shooters can display expert marksmanship, particularly with accurate, long-range shots. According to Wide Open Spaces, a Texas man could very well have set a new, unofficial record for the longest shot with a rifle after he connected with a target positioned some three miles away from him and his custom-built rifle.

The record, which breaks the old, unofficial record of 2.84-miles set in 2017 by retired U.S. Navy SEAL Charles Melton, will likely also be deemed unofficial as well. The Guinness Book of World Records is not expected to recognize it as official because the shooter used special optics on his rifle, a piece of equipment that has been ruled as disqualifying in the eyes of Guinness.

It was first reported by the Abilene Reporter-News that the incredible three-mile shot was made on Jan. 14 by a Tuscola, Texas, man named Bill Poor on a ranch near Midland.

“The last guy (to do this) hit a target up in Utah at 5,000 yards away and it took him 38 shots,” stated Poor. “I hit 5,280 yards in eight shots.”

To make his shot, Poor used a specially built rifle from Virginia-based Vestal Custom Rifles which was chambered in the sniper-specific caliber of .408 Cheyenne Tactical, or CheyTac, a round that weighs in at 390 grains and comes out of the gun at an estimated 3,160-feet per second.

Mounted atop that rifle was a special scope attached to a custom-designed seven-inch tall riser, which allowed for the incredible distance. Even then, Poor had to make his shot from on top of a raised platform and aim significantly higher than the 53-inch target that was three-miles away in order to account for the curvature of the earth and bullet drop, as well as the relative humidity, temperature, wind and even the density of the air that day.

According to The Dallas Morning News, Poor explained that he had been calculating and planning the record-breaking shot for about three years, and stated, “It didn’t happen overnight. It took a lot of homework and a lot of science.”

Unfortunately, that hard work and dedication to his craft likely won’t be paid off with official recognition of his shot by Guinness, just as the organization didn’t recognize the shot by Melton, because they both used scopes.

“They do not recognize shots with optics,” Poor said. “Several guys have tried and sent them in everything, but for some reason they just don’t want to take it.” For its part, Guinness noted the significant variance of different types of optics as the reason why it refuses to accept record shots from marksmen utilizing rifles with that particular accessory, in order to keep the playing field level for all potential record-breaking shooters.

As for the shot itself that Poor took, it actually traveled through the air for 14 seconds after being fired prior to hitting the target three miles away, and required the assistance of two separate spotters who helped Poor make adjustments with his aim until he hit the sweet spot.

“It’s a 14-second flight time,” explained Poor. “It’s 10 seconds before the spotter downrange can hear the boom of the rifle going off, and another four before the bullet hits the target. You have that much time and you’re thinking ‘This is it.'”

Though Poor’s record will likely remain unofficial, it also may not even last for very long, as the former SEAL he just bested for the longest shot has since stated that he intends to reclaim the unofficial record for himself again soon.

“Stand by,” Melton told the Dallas Morning News. “We are about to do 6,000 (yards).”

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Re: Incredible,.....A Three MILE Shot.... :-O

Post by RoadKing »

Not official. Not recognized. Well, in the world of sniper warfare success such as this is damn sure official and recognized! [emoji106] Hell of a shot sez me!
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

I say if you want it to be official and recognized go over seas to the middle east and kill a few ISIS snipers and you'll get all the recognition you want. Still that is an amazing shot. [emoji106] :clap:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

I GOT A GUN THAT CAN SHOOT AROUND CORNERS !
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

If I were the determining agency regarding such a phenomenal shot ...My first rule of thumb would be that the shooter in question would have to make that amazing shot in one try and one try only......He or she could practice all they want to in any conditions they so desire but the shot would have to be a one time thing and on the date that my agency would decide upon.........
What I'm saying is that given enough ammunition and time I would think anyone with the basic knowledge of ballistics could EVENTUALLY make that shot.......May take them several thousand rounds but sooner or later the averages will catch up...
I can only assume that the wind, relative humidity, temperature and density of the air were all at optimum perfect conditions for his attempt.
The previous record holder had 38 chances at 2.8 miles......this guy had 8 shots at 3 miles........

It's still very amazing that a shot like that could even be considered possible .....14 seconds travel time for the projectile to reach it's target...WOW....that's a mile every 5 seconds...or there about...tad bit faster but who's counting. [emoji106]

I've shot both the M-1 Garand and the US M-14 rifles and both are excellent weapons of choice.....except the M-1 is more accurate at longer ranges..
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

wally w
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 1987 VS700

Post by wally w »

I qualified with the M1, M1A1 and M14 and have always felt that scopes are cheating.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

All of the successful Military Sniper shots of such a great distance I have read about have a Spotter and took more than one try. Where the first shot lands gives important feedback as to the prevailing atmospheric conditions to the target, how powerful The Load is and such at the moment.
Thus the Sniper makes adjustments to his trajectory to Dial-in the next shot more accurately.

Without the immediate feedback of the momentary and changing conditions over such a long distance, such shots would just be a Blind Guess and not really a test of the Prowess and Learned Skills in Knowing Your Rifle, it's Capabilities and what are likely corrections that will result in a Hit.

They don't just shoot willy-nilly endlessly until they score. It is much a thinking/experiential process as it is a physically challenging one.

As long as they are successful in Hitting the Target,....what could be the issue?

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Designer wrote:All of the successful Military Sniper shots of such a great distance I have read about have a Spotter and took more than one try. Where the first shot lands gives important feedback as to the prevailing atmospheric conditions to the target, how powerful The Load is and such at the moment.
Thus the Sniper makes adjustments to his trajectory to Dial-in the next shot more accurately.

Without the immediate feedback of the momentary and changing conditions over such a long distance, such shots would just be a Blind Guess and not really a test of the Prowess and Learned Skills in Knowing Your Rifle, it's Capabilities and what are likely corrections that will result in a Hit.

They don't just shoot willy-nilly endlessly until they score. It is much a thinking/experiential process as it is a physically challenging one.

As long as they are successful in Hitting the Target,....what could be the issue?
Yep. All of above verifiable by anyone who has qualified at a military rifle range and/or used a Barrett 50 in combat. Spot on.

It’s flashback time as I think about this. In 1963 I qualified with 50 cal. machine gun. Adjustments to the target were easy... included in the belt were tracers that guided the way. What a trip that piece was!
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 03 FXDWG

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

HARRIS wrote:I GOT A GUN THAT CAN SHOOT AROUND CORNERS !
I loved the m249 I carried, but if it was up to me I'd have rather had the m60 it replaced. It was a few pounds heavier, but I'd gladly trade the weight for the 7.62 round. With the 5.56 you need to be able to shoot around corners, :bang: with the 7.62 you can shoot through them. :rock:
:evil: [emoji56]

I have a lot of opinions, some of them professional, some of them educated, most of them I just pulled out of my @$$

Some of my best stupidity is largely self-inflicted. :roll:

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

That SAW was an awesome weapon in the hands of an experienced shooter......
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

wally w wrote:I qualified with the M1, M1A1 and M14 and have always felt that scopes are cheating.

On what range did you qualify with the M-1......a KD range or a transition range?

I've had the pleasure of shooting both the M-1 Garand and the US M-14 ...using peep sights at 500 yards is quite the chore....there is no cheating [emoji106]

wally w
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 1987 VS700

Post by wally w »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:
wally w wrote:I qualified with the M1, M1A1 and M14 and have always felt that scopes are cheatin
On what range did you qualify with the M-1......a KD range or a transition range?

I've had the pleasure of shooting both the M-1 Garand and the US M-14 ...using peep sights at 500 yards is quite the chore....there is no cheating [emoji106]
MI and MIA1 the targets were KD sharpshooter on those. M14 marksman KD. I was just a kid and I think I could do better now.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Nice shot but I get why it will remain unofficial.
A friend was showing me pics of his military issued rifle. It's all electronics now. As soon as he sets the trigger the scope adjusts for distance. So he has little to nothing to compensate for. To hear him explain it, if the cross hairs are on the objective, it's down.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Tbeck wrote:Nice shot but I get why it will remain unofficial.
A friend was showing me pics of his military issued rifle. It's all electronics now. As soon as he sets the trigger the scope adjusts for distance. So he has little to nothing to compensate for. To hear him explain it, if the cross hairs are on the objective, it's down.
What you describe would be a guided projectile? I don’t believe that. If the crosshairs are on the target and the target is moving how does he lead his shot? Adjusting for distance is the easy part compared to leading a moving object a mile away. The electronics accounts for motion?
Signifying nothing”

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

RK, there's actually an armed forces update on these types of rifles on YouTube. You can Google electronic rifle scopes to find out more. I am just not knowledgeable enough to attempt explaining it for you.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Tbeck wrote:RK, there's actually an armed forces update on these types of rifles on YouTube. You can Google electronic rifle scopes to find out more. I am just not knowledgeable enough to attempt explaining it for you.
Electronic rifle scopes. Got it. Get back to ya. Thanks.

OK. These scopes are basically the same as used by a seperate spotter who verbally instructs the rifleman EXCEPT THE NEWSCOPES ARE MINIATURIZED AND ATTACHED TO THE RIFLE illiminating need for the second man. The electronics is unreal and amazing. A game changer in battle. Calculates range, wind, drop, earth curvature then places crosshair on the target. The shooter still has to lead a target in motion.
Signifying nothing”

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

I saw those on a show a year or two ago. They had people with NO experience with scopes or precision shooting making half mile+ shots with ease.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

RoadKing wrote:OK. These scopes are basically the same as used by a seperate spotter who verbally instructs the rifleman EXCEPT THE NEWSCOPES ARE MINIATURIZED AND ATTACHED TO THE RIFLE illiminating need for the second man. The electronics is unreal and amazing. A game changer in battle. Calculates range, wind, drop, earth curvature then places crosshair on the target. The shooter still has to lead a target in motion.
However, at these Distances,..those said-same Electronics will ever supplant the knowledge that the shooter has of his weapons individual capabilities,...nor calculate the effects of any possible Heated Air rising between the shooter and the target,....nor know the Power available within the The Load inside the Casing of the Bullets,...nor know the Varibilities of Wind Gusts between the Target and the Shooter.

While such Technology can be a boon in this specific situation (and similar),....it will never supplant the Hands-on, Momentary Sensation Input and Evaluations of an Experienced, Capable Shooters Senses and his Prowess and Experiences Learned in Finalizing the Results as you mentioned in your previous Posting.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

No doubt that these guys go to great lengths to make these shots, BUT if you look at the technology they're using it definitely raises the odds.
Melton's scope set up alone is extremely high tech.
That's not taking anything away from what they are doing, but I agree with the rules for official benchmark shots. It evens the odds.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Tbeck wrote:No doubt that these guys go to great lengths to make these shots, BUT if you look at the technology they're using it definitely raises the odds.
Melton's scope set up alone is extremely high tech.
That's not taking anything away from what they are doing, but I agree with the rules for official benchmark shots. It evens the odds.
Sporting rules are what they are. A sniper has rules. Hitting the target. I agree that these guys have to have great skills and understanding of the environment and their weapon and with the addition of tech they gain the advantage. My knowledge of snipers comes from reading and films, no first hand. But the more I learn the more I see these people as a type of super heros.
Signifying nothing”