Picked Up a Valkyrie Interstate

Keep it civil
Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Picked Up a Valkyrie Interstate

Post by Forge »

I found a deal on a 1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate 1500. The Valkyrie and Intruder have been my dream bikes and now I have one of each. She only has 10,700 miles on her but had a significant drop about a year and a half ago. The previous owner was cruising on 2001 vintage tires that he thought looked good, but they are rock hard. He lost traction in a turn and she slid at 50 to 60 mph and has significant road rash. The guy broke his pelvis and back in 2 places, but is ok and said he is done with 2 wheel riding.

The Valk has been sitting for a year and a half. Yesterday, I changed the oil and filter, put a battery in her (the original would not take a charge), cranked on her to make sure she made oil pressure, and pulled the fuel tank and used starting fluid to get her to run. The gas in the tank didn't smell bad but I drained it anyway and put a gallon of fresh gas in her and installed a new fuel feed line and an inline filter. We got her to run, but she's very sputtery. I knew the carbs would have to be rebuilt when I got her, but I'm not afraid of carbs, especially after owning an S83!

She sits tall for me, being 5'4" tall with a 29" inseam. I am on the balls of my feet, so I will be lowering her about an inch to an inch and a half. She sounded pretty damn badass initially when started with the starting fluid because of the 6 into 6 aftermarket exhaust and I'm pretty sure she wasn't rejetted judging by the ridiculously purple headers. Luckily I got the stock exhaust with her and that will be going back on since I don't want to rejet and lose mileage. These bikes are already known for 33 mpg, but at least it has a 5.3 gallon tank. I love the forest green and tan color combination, but that road rash... The right side foot peg is broken but I already have one on the way. Also the crash bar is ugly, but it did it's job and saved the engine. She needs work, but what do you think? I only paid $2150 for her and will be doing the carbs and desmog myself. She absolutely needs tires and I will also do the bodywork myself. I will also be doing a popular mod that enables you to remove or replace the trunk assembly in about 5 minutes.

Arthritis sucks!

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Picked Up a Valkyrie Interstate

Post by Designer »

What a BEAUTY! :rock: good for you! :clap:

I too love the colors. And WELL worth what you paid.

The Rash doesn't seem as bad as I thought it might crashing at 50 MPH. Being that a greater percentage of crashes seem to damage the left side, perhaps finding used parts for the right side might be easier.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Flat black her and ride a lot! One good friend has one and like me rides motorcycles far more than more than two stuff.His has well over100,000 and runs like new.He has a first year 1800 that he rides in below 45 temps most the time.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

His is not the tour valk but think same motor.

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Forge »

old time rider wrote:His is not the tour valk but think same motor.
The 1500 Standard, Tourer, and Interstate all have the same motor. All Valkyries have 6 carbs instead of what comes on the Goldwings as well as the Valks have lumpier cams. I believe the Interstate has a slightly larger fuel tank and heavier duty rear shocks to compensate for the hard trunk, bags, and fat bottom girl!
Arthritis sucks!

Marauder03
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder 1400vs

Post by Marauder03 »

Very nice looking bike, sounds like you got a deal on it. Best of luck with it. Oh and before you change the exhaust please make a sound clip on of what’s on there, I’ve never heard a Valk with aftermarket pipes. Thanks

wally w
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 1987 VS700

Post by wally w »

Valks seem to hold their value and one bike I always wanted but would like it better if it was 200 lbs lighter. Nice ride.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Before you go tearing into carbs do yourself a favor. Pick up some marvel mystery oil at the auto parts store. Dump a half cup into the fuel tank and top the gas off, shake it up well and start the bike up for a good 10 minutes. That will get the MMO into the bowl's. Let it sit for 24-48 hour's so the MMO can do it's thing and then take a long ride and vary throttle input. By the time you run the tank out she should be running better. May take a couple more ride's to work all the guns out, but it beats rebuilding carbs on that bike.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

:rock: :rock: :rock:
-DBTO

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

Post by DevilsFan »

Great find! Glad you're happy and found the bike that you always wanted!

Can't wait to see you "pretty her up" and I hope you can salvage those colors! They look sharp! [emoji106]
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

DevilsFan wrote:Great find! Glad you're happy and found the bike that you always wanted!

Can't wait to see you "pretty her up" and I hope you can salvage those colors! They look sharp! [emoji106]

Yeah I like that color combo as well...normally I wouldn't...I prefer black bikes.
-DBTO

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

It's a good thing the crash bars and panniers took the impact - otherwise it would have ground into the head and possibly written off the motor.

That should clean up nicely - always wanted a Valk as well :cheers:

Do as T said with the carbs - SeaFoam works also if you cant find MMO. Rebuilding 6 carbs sucks - I've done it a few times on my Z1300 :shock:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Perhaps this should be on the Tech Board,...but, ;IDunno: ...As did hillsy mention Sea Foam,..I have had better results using Sea Foam.

Used it many a time before working on other guys Carbs (and mine, of course), and it has often made noteworthy improvements in the poor running symptoms before tearing into them.

If you can, you might benefit from running Two Treated Tankfulls of Fuel through before disassembly. :bow:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

IT'S A WONDERFUL BIKE ! I HAVE A 98 TOURER. THE SMOOTH POWER AND BALANCE IS FANTASTIC.
HERE IS A SITE THAT WILL ANSWER ALL YOUR QUESTIONS AND ONES YOU DIDN'T KNOW THAT YOU'D ASK

http://www.valkyrieforum.com/bbs/index. ... 5387ef8019&
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

What a steal of a bike for someone who can do their own maintenance ...Congrats on the purchase...
I've rode a touring Val and I was really impressed with the ride and needless to say the power...Hope you get many more good miles out of her.. [emoji106]
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Yah seafoam will work as well, I just always keep a can of MMO around for keeping EVERYTHING in the bike clean. A half cup in a full tank of gas, no jet/float buildup. A 1/4 cup in the motor 100 miles before an oil change and no slipping clutch plates.

But choice is all yours....

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

I could never pick up a Valkyrie. However, on warm days I am able to pick up the lawn mower.

Serious, tho, that is an intriguing looking machine, my kinda ride. I picture it black and gold. Don’t say this often, but I’d ride it.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Unlike the 1500 Wing they need valve adjustments don't they? :putput:

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Forge »

old time rider wrote:Unlike the 1500 Wing they need valve adjustments don't they? :putput:
Yes, they have solid lifters, so periodic valve adjustments are needed. Thankfully, I believe they are the screw type tappets. These bikes are rated for 100 horsepower and 102 foot pounds of torque as both are measured at the rear wheel. It’s basically the Honda Factory’s hot rodded Goldwing 1500 engine with 6 carbs and lumpier cams, hence the solid lifters.
Arthritis sucks!

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Forge »

My brother took her around the block yesterday. Here’s a clip so you can hear the 6 into 6 pipes. Carburetion is still off.
Ignore the comment about him leaving his Vette running. The second link is him coming back around. He doesn't rev it up as high, but you hear the idle when he pulls up into my driveway.

Arthritis sucks!