OODA Loops

Keep it civil
Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 03 FXDWG

Re: OODA Loops

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

RoadKing wrote:I disagree, to a degree. :lolfall: Serious, many decisions are not made using OODA Loop. A fool may look at me, observe, and mindlessly decide to act by attacking me. By not using proper orientation he has reduced his decision to linear and foolish. I properly react as tho he was acting within a OODA Loop even if that is not the case and he doesn’t have a chance. The key is respecting an adversary as tho he is using OODA even if it may not be the case. My fear of getting hurt has always forced me to see a potential adversary as having a perimeter that I must breach before he breached mine. I look back and realize that most of my adversaries never saw me as having a perimeter nor did they have awareness even subconsciously of their own. They can be faster and stronger to no avail. For me fear has been a great motivator, a great teacher.

One of the cop videos I watched, the instructer completely destroys the adversary OODA Loop by simply extending his arm with palm open in the adversary’s face and creating a new OODA, no superior speed needed. And I’m not talking about making choices that may be wrong but can work if they are fast. I’m talking about DECISIONS that penetrate the adversary perimeter no matter how fast he may be. If your actions are fast, so much the better.

The worst problem with OODA Loop is that you may make a decision followed by action that wrongly hurts someone. Such are the hazards of survival. But that can be avoided... don’t invade another’s space and always have an aura/perimeter/OODA of your own that is easy to read. Works for me.
You have the right to disagree. My source is The United States Marine Corps Warfighting Guide for Gunnery Sergeants

The Observe and Orientate phases are instant. Untrained people get caught up Deciding what to do next. Actions are also quick. I amend my statement, I was lent a copy in 1999 and my memory is less than perfect. It could have said that whoever makes the correct decision faster, I do recall for a fact that the only wrong Action is inaction.
:evil: [emoji56]

I have a lot of opinions, some of them professional, some of them educated, most of them I just pulled out of my @$$

Some of my best stupidity is largely self-inflicted. :roll:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Prodigal_Sun wrote:
RoadKing wrote:I disagree, to a degree. :lolfall: Serious, many decisions are not made using OODA Loop. A fool may look at me, observe, and mindlessly decide to act by attacking me. By not using proper orientation he has reduced his decision to linear and foolish. I properly react as tho he was acting within a OODA Loop even if that is not the case and he doesn’t have a chance. The key is respecting an adversary as tho he is using OODA even if it may not be the case. My fear of getting hurt has always forced me to see a potential adversary as having a perimeter that I must breach before he breached mine. I look back and realize that most of my adversaries never saw me as having a perimeter nor did they have awareness even subconsciously of their own. They can be faster and stronger to no avail. For me fear has been a great motivator, a great teacher.

One of the cop videos I watched, the instructer completely destroys the adversary OODA Loop by simply extending his arm with palm open in the adversary’s face and creating a new OODA, no superior speed needed. And I’m not talking about making choices that may be wrong but can work if they are fast. I’m talking about DECISIONS that penetrate the adversary perimeter no matter how fast he may be. If your actions are fast, so much the better.

The worst problem with OODA Loop is that you may make a decision followed by action that wrongly hurts someone. Such are the hazards of survival. But that can be avoided... don’t invade another’s space and always have an aura/perimeter/OODA of your own that is easy to read. Works for me.
You have the right to disagree. My source is The United States Marine Corps Warfighting Guide for Gunnery Sergeants

The Observe and Orientate phases are instant. Untrained people get caught up Deciding what to do next. Actions are also quick. I amend my statement, I was lent a copy in 1999 and my memory is less than perfect. It could have said that whoever makes the correct decision faster, I do recall for a fact that the only wrong Action is inaction.
"Analysis Paralysis"

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

jeffcoslacker wrote:
"Analysis Paralysis"
Hit first. Hit hard. Hit fast.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 03 FXDWG

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

RoadKing wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote:
"Analysis Paralysis"
Hit first. Hit hard. Hit fast.
Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.
:evil: [emoji56]

I have a lot of opinions, some of them professional, some of them educated, most of them I just pulled out of my @$$

Some of my best stupidity is largely self-inflicted. :roll: