Well... this is not good.

Keep it civil
JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Well... this is not good.

Post by JFL Live »

I hope the guy who bought my Harley sees this...

Harley-Davidson recalling 250,000 motorcycles because their brakes might fail

Harley-Davidson is recalling 250,000 motorcycles around the world to fix an issue that can cause their brakes to fail.

U.S. safety regulators pressured the company to take the action, which overs 30 different bikes from the 2008-2011 model years.
The recall notice says that "deposits may form on components within the brake system if the DOT 4 brake fluid is not replaced for a prolonged period of time beyond the 2-year maintenance schedule specified in the Owner’s Manual.”

The deposits can cause a valve in the antilock brake control unit to stick. The recall service involves a full flush of the brake fluid, but no parts need to be replaced.
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Well... this is not good.

Post by navigator »

Standard maintenance.
Harley people don't do this?
:evil:

It's like recalling them for bald tires because you didn't replace them. :bonk:

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Lots of owners of all brands don't do that.That's why the super low mile bikes with age I buy get looked over really good.. :putput:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Any vehicle with ABS is prone to problems if the fluid is neglected for a long time BUT at least in the case of cars and trucks, the problem is limited to ABS operation, not service brake effectiveness. In other words, the brakes work just fine. The anti-lock aspect may not. ABS is a completely separate system from service brake hydraulics until the system is activated when sensing different wheel speeds while braking. Until then, the service brakes function the same as a non-ABS system, and only that part of the hydraulics is doing anything.

So you'd have to look a little deeper into the claims of problems and injuries "caused" by the issue. If the brakes work similar to how they do in cars, then the problem the owners are claiming would actually be not that the brakes failed, but that the ABS failed to work as expected.

That would make sense.

In cars they pretty much took care of the problem by having the ABS valve body do a kind of "shudder" when the car is started periodically. If you've ever been aware of a kind of hollow crunchy noise that happens for a split second right as the car starts, seemingly coming from the dash/firewall, that's the ABS valve assembly doing a "roll call" and de-crudding of its valves and seats by making all the solenoids chatter/buzz to cycle all the valves rapidly. That dislodges any slight deposits before they get to be a problem, and tells the ABS module that everybody is functioning and ready for action.

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

jeffcoslacker wrote:
If the brakes work similar to how they do in cars, then the problem the owners are claiming would actually be not that the brakes failed, but that the ABS failed to work as expected.

My Harley didn't have ABS thank goodness! [emoji2]
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

The recall notice says that "deposits may form on components within the brake system if the DOT 4 brake fluid is not replaced for a prolonged period of time beyond the 2-year maintenance schedule specified in the Owner’s Manual.”

So, even though it spells it out in the owners manual...people don't do the maintenance like the manual tells them to, causing a failure due to not maintaining said item *as specified in the Owners Manual" ...and that's H-D's fault? Am I missing something here?
-DBTO

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

"U.S. safety regulators pressured the company to take the action, which covers 30 different bikes from the 2008-2011 model years.

Documents show Harley wanted to do a field service campaign instead of a recall, but the government refused.

The company says it cooperated with NHTSA and began a thorough evaluation of the issue. "Complex, ongoing discussions regarding what was ultimately identified as a maintenance issue continued with the agency through January 2018," Harley-Davidson said in a printed statement."

Government mandated. :bonk:
Perhaps they feel entitled...Perhaps they were offended. :evil:

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Not to sound too cautious or suspicious...... but this sounds like a promotion for a maintenance cash cow for Harley dealers...
....not all owners do their own maintenance.....this is going to give pause to the ones that do not......
I've seen the Harley maintenance schedule for new bikes......it's a treasure strove for Harley dealers ...just to keep the 2 year warranty valid
The first oil and filter change and overall check can run you 600.00+ :bonk:
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

It's not a good idea to neglect the brake fluid on any bike...the volume of fluid is so small compared to other vehicles that it rapidly becomes contaminated. All brake systems draw moisture, regardless of how new they are. It's not much, but when the vehicle only uses a small amount to begin with, the severity of the contamination snowballs quickly. I've noticed that even on newer bikes you can replace the fluid entirely and it will darken and show high moisture content on a test strip within a year or so.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Change it yearly and you will have no issues.
A can of brake fluid will set you back $3. ;IDunno:

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:Not to sound too cautious or suspicious...... but this sounds like a promotion for a maintenance cash cow for Harley dealers...
Interestingly enough, I just recently made a comment to my wife that apparently there's very good money for dealerships in doing recall fixes. A local dealership has been bombarding me postcards informing me to bring my truck in for an air bag recall for the past two years. I may get around to it one of these days. [space] :lmao:
lovineveryminuteofit

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

SuzyRidr2 wrote:
Suzuki Johnny wrote:Not to sound too cautious or suspicious...... but this sounds like a promotion for a maintenance cash cow for Harley dealers...
Interestingly enough, I just recently made a comment to my wife that apparently there's very good money for dealerships in doing recall fixes. A local dealership has been bombarding me postcards informing me to bring my truck in for an air bag recall for the past two years. I may get around to it one of these days. [space] :lmao:
We just got a 3rd recall notice on our Outlander to fix a possible fault with the windshield wiper motor. The other two were for the harness on the indicator unit and a flywheel pulley. None of the recalls cost us anything. They just did the work and didn't check anything else or suggest any other repairs.

Unless you are suggesting the dealers are pocketing a profit from the manufacturers for doing the recall work?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

SuzyRidr2 wrote:
The airbag recall falls across several models and can be a serious issue.
You can get hit with shrapnel instead of a life saving airbag.
The work should be performed for free, with no pressure to fix any other issues.

The problem with the Harley recall is that its not a safety issue caused by faulty equipment...it's a maintenance issue, that the government should not be forcing them to perform.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

hillsy wrote:
SuzyRidr2 wrote:
We just got a 3rd recall notice on our Outlander to fix a possible fault with the windshield wiper motor. The other two were for the harness on the indicator unit and a flywheel pulley. None of the recalls cost us anything. They just did the work and didn't check anything else or suggest any other repairs.

Unless you are suggesting the dealers are pocketing a profit from the manufacturers for doing the recall work?

That might very well be the case.....but what I was suggesting is that .........just put an idea into someone's head that his/her brake system might be faulty because of lack of regular maintenance and dealers profit from useless unnecessary work done on their bikes.....
I change my brake fluid every two years....whether it needs it or not....
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

I don't know anything about bike ABS systems but with 4 wheel vehicles, changing the fluid in the ABS side of the system is tricky and beyond the capability of the DIYer. Like I said, that side of the hydraulics is separate until the system is activated. You generally need a scan tool with ABS and higher diagnostic functions to get the system to co-operate during a fluid change. If you just changed the fluid as always, you didn't even touch the ABS side's fluid.

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Post by tabasco »

Give me a brake! I mean break!

Elsie rider
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: HD Triglide

Post by Elsie rider »

the brakes would not fail if people followed the maintenance schedule.... they have the schedule so you know what to do and when . Those saying they do their own wrenching seem to just do R&R and oil change but neglect some of the items in the maintenance schedule.

How many remember those not changing the clutch fluid and experience issues in high heat with the clutch not working right ...same issue..those not changing the clutch fluid periodically....not one made Suzuki do a recall , so why when someone does not do proper maintenance does HD have to do a recall .

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Agree big time. [emoji106] Even if scared to fool with brakes at least take a blub or baster of some kind and take fluid out of master and fill with fresh. If this is done a few times in a row in few days of riding you will have lots better than before done fluid. My 1400 had never given me any troubles till around 15,000 at a big meet and inching along. All at once clutch lever went limp. Pulled it over and a half hour later ok. From that time on changed and bled every time the fluid stated to look like ice tea. No more troubles even in hot slow places in the 45,000. I did get a bubble in the front till I held it up to let it get by when changing fluid once. Just the one time and still have no idea why just that one time? :putput:

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

All hydraulic fluids swapped out every other season ... never had a problem with clutch or brakes in any temperature ... the fluid in my sight glass is never the color of tea. [space] :cheers:
lovineveryminuteofit

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

Short story. Maintain. End of story.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.