Big heart but short

Keep it civil
Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Big heart but short

Post by Tbeck »

We take our rescue Cane Corso to the dog park at the shelter daily, so no surprise that we sometimes look at other rescues.
About two weeks back the girls at the rescue asked us to have a look at Remi, a 100 pound American bulldog. Beautiful boy but after some time we concluded that Remi would do best as an only dog, and since we currently have a 120lb Corso that we better not adopt him.
Well a couple adopted him on February 2 but obviously they didn't have the foggiest idea of how to best acclimate him to his new home, had him off lead near woods, and hadn't done any bonding. Remi ran off into the woods and hasn't been seen since.
I have been absolutely sick over this and spent hours out looking for him. The weather is frigid cold, he's very disoriented I'm sure, and it isn't likely he will survive if someone hasn't taken him in.
On the one hand I am thankful people have big heart's in adopting these dog's, it's just a shame that this dog which was already traumatized, is having to experience this additional trauma because his new owners didn't have the knowledge of how to integrate him into his new home safely.
I will keep you all posted if he's found.

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

Re: Big heart but short

Post by DevilsFan »

That sucks. I hope he is found and OK. I'd like to think this dog will have the instincts to find warm shelter. Definitely, keep us posted.
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

T, maybe the shelter needs to give a few pointers on how to properly handle a rescue dog when first taken home and/or for the first couple of weeks. :confused:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:T, maybe the shelter needs to give a few pointers on how to properly handle a rescue dog when first taken home and/or for the first couple of weeks. :confused:
I’m studying and working towards being certified dog trainer, John, and what you suggest is a good thought. But rehabbing behavior requires more than a few pointers other than they should never have left that dog off leash. I feel really bad because a Pit Dog isn’t made for cold and I relate to Tbeck out searching for that beautiful creature. It hurts.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Not knowing the complete history of the dog before it was adopted there is no way to know if it's instincts will take over and it will find shelter once he has exhausted itself.....hunting food may be a problem for it in the long run....
There are ( I'm guessing here) thousands of dogs that are astray throughout the United States with no owners and they make due with what is available to them...they been doing just that for thousands of years too.... Don't sell them short...

.Some folks are so ignorant when it comes to rescue animals...
they need a period of adjustments to their new surroundings and a bonding process with it's new owners...what a shame they didn't figure this out before hand..... I blame the adoption agency as well as the new owners...
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

I am going to guess here and say that someone has taken Remi into their home. Remi is 3 years old and an American bulldog can't take these temps for very long and would have tried to find some warmth. Since he hasn't been seen since the day lost, someone had to have or there would have been a sighting.
One can only hope

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Tbeck wrote:I am going to guess here and say that someone has taken Remi into their home. Remi is 3 years old and an American bulldog can't take these temps for very long and would have tried to find some warmth. Since he hasn't been seen since the day lost, someone had to have or there would have been a sighting.
One can only hope
If I may comment,....There is very good reason to have this hope, Tim. [emoji106]

Even though a he is a Rescue Dog, and might have been abused/maltreated before,...he has had Human Contact pretty much his life.

I have personally seen,..and heard several stories from other Animal Rescue Workers,...of other abused animals (some terribly) who have taken a chance on humans and approached them for help when they were in dire straights.

It has happened to me Thrice....each time the Animal needed to "read" me before approaching ever closer. Patience with knowing "where they were" and Love made ALL the difference. [emoji106]

Let's 'Keep the Faith' and hope for Good things to come from this. :bow:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Designer, in this instance the dog wasn't abused, the owner just had to give him up. STILL he's endured the loss of everyone he's known, stuffed in a strange place with stranger's and other dog's, and then taken from that to another strange place and people. Very traumatic for him.
Still I have to believe his fear would be overcome by the need to warm up and eat.
Still no sightings, so hoping that I am correct.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

:clap: great news! Remi was found in a barn he had taken shelter in. He was thrilled to be back at the animal shelter awaiting his new owners arrival to pick him up.
Needless to say he was equipped with a collar and harness by the shelter before he was permitted to go home.
Happy ending I am thrilled to report

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Tbeck wrote:great news! Remi was found in a barn he had taken shelter in. He was thrilled to be back at the animal shelter awaiting his new owners arrival to pick him up.
Needless to say he was equipped with a collar and harness by the shelter before he was permitted to go home.
What STUPENDOUSLY GOOD NEWS! :clap: :cheers:

You were Spot On to hope for Remi to seek shelter and/or human contact and get out of the Woods.

Good to know he wasn't an abused creature too. ;)

And that you for the Update. :bow: ........This makes my day. [emoji106]

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

Post by DevilsFan »

:clap:

So they gave him back to the new owners?!?!
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Just as I surmised.... [emoji106]
I love happy endings....
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

BoDog
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: None anymore

Post by BoDog »

Great news! :smile:

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Tbeck wrote::clap: great news! Remi was found in a barn he had taken shelter in. He was thrilled to be back at the animal shelter awaiting his new owners arrival to pick him up.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

DevilsFan wrote::clap: So they gave him back to the new owners?!?!
I would think so.

Their hearts are in The Right Place, and after this experience I am confident that they would be more aware of the need to Bond with Nemi making more sure he feels a part of a New Family.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Designer wrote:
DevilsFan wrote::clap: So they gave him back to the new owners?!?!
I would think so.

Their hearts are in The Right Place, and after this experience I am confident that they would be more aware of the need to Bond with Nemi making more sure he feels a part of a New Family.
Good news. :clap:

I'm not sure they know how long and tough it can be to bond, especially since they turned him loose after just a few hours the last time. I can only hope the Rescue Center gave them some pointers on how to treat this new member of the family before turning him loose the next time. I hope that new collar has a radio transmitter in it. [emoji106] [space] :uhh:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Yes he's back with his adoptive family. I wouldn't think he'll be off lead for a while and after some very good bonding.
I can't even tell you how many folks like myself were out looking for Remi for that week he was lost.
Happy ending for all....

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Tbeck wrote:Yes he's back with his adoptive family. I wouldn't think he'll be off lead for a while and after some very good bonding.
I can't even tell you how many folks like myself were out looking for Remi for that week he was lost.
Happy ending for all....
Humane. Humans. We really are good people for the most part, we humans. In truth I believe we treat one another, for the most part, as well as we treat, for the most part, our canine friends. I admit that dogs are much better people than humans, but the fact that we love doggies so much gives me hope for us.
Signifying nothing”