Falcon Heavy to launch today

Keep it civil
jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Falcon Heavy to launch today

Post by jeffcoslacker »

http://www.spacex.com/webcast

Webcast will start in an hour. Weather looks good. Aside from technical problems, we should have a launch today. Whether it comes apart and explodes, or returns all three boosters intact with a payload (Elon's red Tesla Roadster) headed for Mars, it's gonna be interesting and historic.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Re: Falcon Heavy to launch today

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Less than 5 mins to launch now

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Unbelievable. Flawless. The side booster landings looked like a coordinated ballet. It was hard to even see the differences in the camera views, their control thruster firings and points of view were so similar. Seeing the "Starman" figure at the wheel of the Roadster in the full sunlight once the fairing deployed gave me chills.

They lost video signal from the droneship so they don't know for sure if the center booster stuckt he landing or not yet. Even if not, an amazing display of tech.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

If only I had enough money to buy a Tesla...
Let alone enough money to send it to Mars.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

UNFREAKINGBELIEVABLE!!!!!!! Beyond words! Watching the two rockets return flawlessly together with unreal precision is mind blowing!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Watched on Fox as the stock market window bottom corner rocketed up simultaneously and analogously nearly 600 points!!! We are living in very exciting times!!! Yeah!
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »

jeffcoslacker wrote: Unbelievable. Flawless. The side booster landings looked like a coordinated ballet. It was hard to even see the differences in the camera views, their control thruster firings and points of view were so similar. Seeing the "Starman" figure at the wheel of the Roadster in the full sunlight once the fairing deployed gave me chills...
AWESOME! [emoji106]

If that don't look futuristic, I don't know what does. I wasn't ready for that perfectly co-ordinated landing shot... still waiting to hear how the center core made out...

lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by lonerider »

Don't know much about Spacex. If it's a private company who's funding them? Those rockets must be very expensive.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

Cuban wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote: Unbelievable. Flawless. The side booster landings looked like a coordinated ballet. It was hard to even see the differences in the camera views, their control thruster firings and points of view were so similar. Seeing the "Starman" figure at the wheel of the Roadster in the full sunlight once the fairing deployed gave me chills...
AWESOME! [emoji106]

If that don't look futuristic, I don't know what does. I wasn't ready for that perfectly co-ordinated landing shot... still waiting to hear how the center core made out...

Yup, my jaw dropped as well watching that pair land together... :rock: :rock:
-DBTO

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

lonerider wrote:Don't know much about Spacex. If it's a private company who's funding them? Those rockets must be very expensive.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

This launch is already an outdated exercise in SpaceX's agenda. They will now use the Falcon Heavy for some revenue missions, but they are already producing assemblies for the BFR next-generation system. If Falcon Heavy impresses you, the BFR is gonna blow you away.

In fully recoverable booster config, it will be able to put 330,000 lbs of payload into Earth orbit, and if used as a disposable booster system it could put something closer to half a million pounds into space. The manned section will be about 30 feet in diameter.

They have plans for this system that are straight outta sci-fi. Used as a sub-orbital Earth-to-Earth transport, it can put you in any destination in the world in under an hour. Most common flight routes would be in the 30 minute range or less. That would be like LAX to Tokyo, or NYC to London, etc.

But they also intend to build fueling platforms in orbit, giving spacecraft a way to use heavy boosters to "jump off" out of Earth orbit and go to other planetary destinations. This almost MUST happen if we are ever to go to Mars in any kind of regular crewed missions with infrastructure on Mars. The largest penalty of getting anything to space is the fuel used to get you off the ground and into orbit. But if you could tank up and then leave orbit with your boosters intact and still with you, you now have the means to fly direct at much higher speeds, with much larger payloads. It's very exciting stuff.

Currently we have to whittle away at the vehicle until all that makes it to space is a small payload stage with a single small rocket motor and limited fuel for propulsion, imagine what could be done if you can put the equivalent of 12 semi-truckloads of payload directly into a Mars transfer? Amazing...

And then there's the ITS, their concept for regular transport between Earth and Mars.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Cuban wrote: still waiting to hear how the center core made out...
It had some kind of problem, info is sketchy at this point. First time they ever tried it from so high up though, so it was not totally unexpected. They are absolutely pleased with the performance of every part of the vehicle.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

The Starman cam is producing some of the most absurd, yet beautiful space/automotive images ever. Seeing a man figure just chillin' with the top down and the Earth in the background...man, who woulda ever thought? :bow:

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Truly amazing, indeed. But I have questions, Jeffco. The tech for launching a large craft that can travel to Mars is unfolding, but my question is a simple one which I would like answered with a simple answer... why go to Mars? Just because we can? Just so we can say we did? What in hell (literally) is the reward on Mars? The tech this day gives visual delights beyond belief! A hundred thousand on the Canaveral Beach cheering a Super Bowl of science. Early science fiction played out beautifully before our eyes. But what is the reward for the money spent... an extravagant ad for an extravagant automobile? Just asking and am truly interested in answers. Tell ya what, I’m a cynic as concerns humans and their use of high tech and science... you know what I saw today? A very beautiful military tool, oxymoronic to the max.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

RoadKing wrote:Truly amazing, indeed. But I have questions, Jeffco. The tech for launching a large craft that can travel to Mars is unfolding, but my question is a simple one which I would like answered with a simple answer... why go to Mars? Just because we can? Just so we can say we did? What in hell (literally) is the reward on Mars? The tech this day gives visual delights beyond belief! A hundred thousand on the Canaveral Beach cheering a Super Bowl of science. Early science fiction played out beautifully before our eyes. But what is the reward for the money spent... an extravagant ad for an extravagant automobile? Just asking and am truly interested in answers. Tell ya what, I’m a cynic as concerns humans and their use of high tech and science... you know what I saw today? A very beautiful military tool, oxymoronic to the max.
There is no "we" here. Elon wants to go to Mars. He has the money to do it. He has said he intends to die on Mars.

Often time the reward comes after the deed is done. What aftershock and ones like him could never seem to grasp is that an exploratory space program is to high-tech and sometimes the trajectory of humankind what racing participation is to vehicle makers. Why go around a track fast? What's the point? So it thrills a few gearheads, so what?

You know the answer to that. Racing is the eternal quest for just a little more speed. But to do that, over and over, year after year, everyone involved needs to make parts that are lighter, more efficient, more reliable, more robust, etc. To do that, processes have to be tightened and new materials incorporated. Racing is not just an idle waste of time on Sundays...it's how these industries move forward, in no small part. To the car manufacturer the most immediately tangible value used to be brand recognition, but that is really not anything like it was. They stay involved because it is direct competition and where innovations happen.

A space program that pushes boundaries is like racing...it creates a demand for things that don't currently exist, and makes them happen...then all that innovation filters down through industry, as new or improved products and processes and materials, which then make possible things we as consumers would never have seen, based on Earth-bound necessity, at least for many years. And we use those things to do even greater things. It moves us forward as a race of beings.

Not to mention the sheer joy and pride involved. And it will employ SO many people. Tricky space missions are not done by one company. Whole tech sectors are involved in design and production.

And having to produce to spec for a PRIVATE company, rather than burn taxpayer money like there's no end to it, will bring new levels of efficiency and accountability, I'm betting.

lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by lonerider »

Jeffco, nicely written answer to the "Why?" of things. [emoji106]

Cuban
Bike out of hock

Post by Cuban »

jeffcoslacker wrote: It had some kind of problem, info is sketchy at this point. First time they ever tried it from so high up though, so it was not totally unexpected. They are absolutely pleased with the performance of every part of the vehicle.
[emoji2] I read that only one of the three engines it needed to land fired, and it hit the water close to the drone ship @ 300 mph. Bits of shrapnel damaged the ship. Also the later burn sent the Roadster off on the wrong tangent...

This is cool...

Cuban
Bike out of hock

Post by Cuban »

lonerider wrote: Jeffco, nicely written answer to the "Why?" of things. [emoji106]
[emoji2] Jeffco has a way with words.

The current model, which we saw displayed yesterday, proves that they can lift twice the payload at about a third of the (up 'til now) cost, so they should be able to make money. Depends on customers, obviously, but he has said they have them lined up, so...

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

jeffcoslacker wrote:
RoadKing wrote:Truly amazing, indeed. But I have questions, Jeffco. The tech for launching a large craft that can travel to Mars is unfolding, but my question is a simple one which I would like answered with a simple answer... why go to Mars? Just because we can? Just so we can say we did? What in hell (literally) is the reward on Mars? The tech this day gives visual delights beyond belief! A hundred thousand on the Canaveral Beach cheering a Super Bowl of science. Early science fiction played out beautifully before our eyes. But what is the reward for the money spent... an extravagant ad for an extravagant automobile? Just asking and am truly interested in answers. Tell ya what, I’m a cynic as concerns humans and their use of high tech and science... you know what I saw today? A very beautiful military tool, oxymoronic to the max.
There is no "we" here. Elon wants to go to Mars. He has the money to do it. He has said he intends to die on Mars.
Well, so far he is on his way to orbit the sun! :lolfall: There is no ‘we’ here? Yes there is, despite Elon’s egocentric fantasy. He is hardly alone in his quest for space. I left out the rest of your answer to why because you did not answer my questions, so now let me succinctly ask again In another way, why launch yourself into orbit around the sun in an effort to die on Mars? :lmao: That may have been his own self centered vision, but what about my question that overall in the scope of human deed I see a tool of war. Mars is God of War, my friend.

Hope Bailey is well.
Signifying nothing”

Cuban
Bike out of hock

Post by Cuban »

[emoji2] Snippet from another site I frequent...

[space] "Yesterday was a remarkably profound day for humankind. After years of delays, SpaceX has successfully launched its FALCON HEAVY rocket, defying the force of gravity to send it's payload into an elliptical heliocentric orbit near Mars. Elon Musk’s personal red Tesla Roadster, with a dummy named Starman, wearing a SpaceX space suit in the driver seat, playing David Bowie’s Space Oddity on repeat, with “Don’t Panic” (Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy reference) on the screen. This car could be in orbit for a billion years.

[space] Since 1969 and the Apollo mission to the moon, there has been little for the public to cheer on, with regards to NASA and space travel. However, SpaceX has given our generation a voice. It has given our generation a profound meaning. Many of us will witness the day when humans set foot on Mars, and many will witness the moment when humans first begin to colonize the red planet. Our generation has something unbelievable to stand behind - not only as a very proud nation, but as a world united. Curiosity and knowledge connects people all over the world, and traveling the cosmos and becoming an interplanetary species will have a uniting effect far greater than any of us can imagine. We are living in a very special time.

[space] Days like today will be remembered in history, demonstrating the amazing capability of determined humans when curiosity strikes. Lastly, it is also a reminder that many creations today were once rendered as impossible - having a Tesla flying throughout the solar system launched by the most powerful rocket currently in the world is a giant middle finger for all the thousands who have sworn that both Tesla and SpaceX would never ever be able to make it. Both began as startups with a small team of determined workers, and today we witness a cherry red Tesla heading into space playing David Bowie. If that’s not motivating, I don’t know what is."

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

RoadKing wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote:
Well, so far he is on his way to orbit the sun! :lolfall: There is no ‘we’ here? Yes there is, despite Elon’s egocentric fantasy. He is hardly alone in his quest for space. I left out the rest of your answer to why because you did not answer my questions, so now let me succinctly ask again In another way, why launch yourself into orbit around the sun in an effort to die on Mars? :lmao: That may have been his own self centered vision, but what about my question that overall in the scope of human deed I see a tool of war. Mars is God of War, my friend.

Hope Bailey is well.
I'm not sure what you're talking about. This demonstrated the vehicle can reach Mars, this was an exercise in power, not navigation.

You seem to misunderstand the nature of the orbit it is being put into.

And usually when people say "we" with regards to space endeavors, they are referencing the United States, usually while whining about the 1/10th of a percent of their taxes that go to it. Sorry if I misread your intent by using that word. Conditioned response on my part.

But you DO understand you don't just go to Mars or anywhere else on the first shot, right? Remember the first mission that put man on the Moon? Apollo 11? You are aware that meant it was the 11th in a series of missions building up to it, yes? We tested the Saturn V to see if it would even work, launched things into the Moon that just crashed there, to see if we could even reach/hit it, then put things in a free-return orbit to see if we could get back, then sent guys around that orbit without landing, to see if the life support systems work, and all the bugs were worked out, THEN we did it for real. Come on, you know this stuff.

Mars has been traditionally hard to reach, or rather to land correctly on. 60+% of everything that tried to land there has failed. It's not easy.