Falcon Heavy to launch today

Keep it civil
RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Re: Falcon Heavy to launch today

Post by RoadKing »

Starman was supposed to orbit Mars, not the sun. He fucked up! I understand the nature of the orbit well! :lmao:
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

RoadKing wrote:Starman was supposed to orbit Mars, not the sun. He fucked up! I understand the nature of the orbit well! :lmao:
No, you don't. Might wanna get the story straight. It was never intended to orbit Mars. Mars isn't currently even in the vicinity of the direction of launch. You, and whomever you are getting info from, apparently misunderstand the mission objective.

Yes, the final engine burn had an error, and since the payload is a dead weight, it has no course correction ability. That's one of the many reasons that actual probes that would be sent this way DO have engines and maneuvering thrusters. Because the launch vehicle is just a giant throwing a rock into the sky...it gets the hard work done but course correction burns are done by the spacecraft itself at several points along the way.

Anyhow, if you go back to December, Elon said the roadster was to be launched into an eliptical orbit around the Sun that will take it to Mars' orbit and beyond. That was the objective, it always was, and that has been done.

You can't put an object with no braking thrust and no maneuvering ability into orbit around another planet. That was never the objective. It is not possible.

Not sure what you're on about. :confused:

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

jeffcoslacker wrote:
RoadKing wrote:Starman was supposed to orbit Mars, not the sun. He fucked up! I understand the nature of the orbit well! :lmao:
No, you don't. Might wanna get the story straight. It was never intended to orbit Mars. Mars isn't currently even in the vicinity of the direction of launch. You, and whomever you are getting info from, apparently misunderstand the mission objective.

Yes, the final engine burn had an error, and since the payload is a dead weight, it has no course correction ability. That's one of the many reasons that actual probes that would be sent this way DO have engines and maneuvering thrusters. Because the launch vehicle is just a giant throwing a rock into the sky...it gets the hard work done but course correction burns are done by the spacecraft itself at several points along the way.

Anyhow, if you go back to December, Elon said the roadster was to be launched into an eliptical orbit around the Sun that will take it to Mars' orbit and beyond. That was the objective, it always was, and that has been done.

You can't put an object with no braking thrust and no maneuvering ability into orbit around another planet. That was never the objective. It is not possible.

Not sure what you're on about. :confused:
It’s simple. I’m just funnin ya! I’m not really all that hung up on the great adventures of Musk. His rocket ship is wondrous for sure, takes me back to the early sci-fi film era, I love the human imagination and spirit and adventure and desire for exploration. However, buried on the Forbidden Planet? :lolfall:
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

jeffcoslacker wrote: A space program that pushes boundaries is like racing...it creates a demand for things that don't currently exist ...
I'd suggest the need that currently doesn't exist is the technology and know how that will make it possible for mankind to travel to and survive on a new rock after we've outgrown this one or if this one becomes uninhabitable. It make take many thousands of years for us to outgrow this planet, but a natural event like a meteor strike or volcanic eruption large enough to render this planet unable to sustain human life is a real possibility and could happen at any time. An exit strategy is never a bad thing. [space] [emoji106]
lovineveryminuteofit

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »

[emoji2] Here's another image that kinda snapped my head back a bit. Actual visuals have always spoken to me more clearly than numbers and shit...

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

SuzyRidr2 wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote: ...but a natural event like a meteor strike or volcanic eruption large enough to render this planet unable to sustain human life is a real possibility and could happen at any time. An exit strategy is never a bad thing.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: OIC!!! An exit strategy that could take us to a planet that IS able to sustain human life, a planet that has all the comforts of home, a planet such as, um, er um, that is, such as, OH, YEAH, MARS! Yeah, that’s it, Mars! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Do you guys think about this crap? :lmao: Maybe that’s the problem, you think too much about it! What my dad used to call walking around with your head in the clouds. :lmao:

A volcanic eruption! :lmao: Humanity has survived untold thousands of years of volcanic kablooey! :lmao: A METEOR IS COMING! Quick, let’s take the Starman Express to Mars! :lmao: Maybe we’ll end up in the asteroid belt! :lmao:
Signifying nothing”

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

RoadKing wrote:
SuzyRidr2 wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote: ...but a natural event like a meteor strike or volcanic eruption large enough to render this planet unable to sustain human life is a real possibility and could happen at any time. An exit strategy is never a bad thing.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: OIC!!! An exit strategy that could take us to a planet that IS able to sustain human life, a planet that has all the comforts of home, a planet such as, um, er um, that is, such as, OH, YEAH, MARS! Yeah, that’s it, Mars! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Do you guys think about this crap? :lmao: Maybe that’s the problem, you think too much about it! What my dad used to call walking around with your head in the clouds. :lmao:

A volcanic eruption! :lmao: Humanity has survived untold thousands of years of volcanic kablooey! :lmao: A METEOR IS COMING! Quick, let’s take the Starman Express to Mars! :lmao: Maybe we’ll end up in the asteroid belt! :lmao:
I never mentioned Mars. But this type of endeavor is one more step in the direction of long distance space travel and the future colonization of planets that could sustain human life is most definitely being studied.

Some scientists predict a large enough volcanic eruption could very well make human life unsustainable due to the inability to grow food. In fact, some say it's happened before - an eruption so powerful that 75% of earth's species were eradicated and was so gigantic that it pulled apart North America and Africa. No question a large enough meteor strike could erase us all.

Have another toke, close your eyes and visualize it man. [space] [emoji106]
lovineveryminuteofit

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

SuzyRidr2 wrote:
RoadKing wrote:
SuzyRidr2 wrote:

I never mentioned Mars. But this type of endeavor is one more step a step in the direction of long distance space travel and the future colonization of planets that could sustain human life is most definitely being studied.

Some geologists predict a large enough volcanic eruption could very well make human life unsustainable due to the inability to grow food. In fact, some say it's happened before - an eruption so powerful that 75% of earth's species were eradicated and was so gigantic that it pulled apart North America and Africa. No question a large enough meteor strike could erase us all.

Have another toke, close your eyes and visualize it man. [space] [emoji106]
I did visualize doomsday and it ain’t pretty. Humans crave dairy products and McDonald burgers. Cows, too many. They fart, creating methane. Too much methane. Not good. They’re gonna ignite, mark my words.
Signifying nothing”

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »

"Holy flying fuck, that thing took off." [emoji2]

[youtube][/youtube]

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Cuban wrote:"Holy flying fuck, that thing took off." [emoji2]
His attitude towards these things is always so chill and funny. Before the launch he was saying something about 50/50 chance it actually flies, and said he was impressed by all the people who showed up to see it. Said they will either see a historic rocket flight, or one helluva fireworks show, but either way it was gonna be amazing [emoji2]

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

The dude has sold out flame throwers that haven’t even been made yet I have heard. I would like to have one of those bad boys to clear away ice and snow!
Signifying nothing”