Contractor's

Keep it civil
Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Contractor's

Post by Tbeck »

I hear all the time about contractor's not being able to find enough work and all I have to say about that is "RUBBISH"!!!
We had some damage as I have previously posted due to the ice and snow. One contractor hasn't gotten back with us for a quote in 3 weeks. Another has provided two quotes but neither of them are for the whole project we described. A third wanted to give me some BS line about replacing just piece's of siding, when asked to quote for the total back replacement, and the pieces quote was equivalent to what it should cost to do the entire back. The fourth was SO high on his quote his siding and gutter's must cost three times the local rate.
I don't get it, simple quote. I asked for a quote to replace the gutters and fascia, wrap and reside the back of the house, and replace the capping on one window. Seems pretty straight forward to me, and yet I get all kinds of stupid excuses. One even said insurance companies won't normally pay for total replacement. What's that matter if I am asking for a quote for the whole back? Sheeeez!

Travlin
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: Ummmmmmmm a 1400

Re: Contractor's

Post by Travlin »

T, if you can swing a hammer you can be a contractor. You don't even have to be able to read a tape (ask me how I know that).

Lots are working toward the next joint/rock/30 pack. We couldn't find a handful of decent subs to back us up.

I suppose this is why my son is always swamped in high end work.

Tell them the way it is going to be and straw boss the job. Get it in writing along with payment schedules with milestones. Be sure the warranty conditions are in the too.

Good luck man.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Thanks! We went through this the last job I contracted out. Shame it has to be this way. I wouldn't have ever when I was in the trades. Guess times change.

PCC
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: GW TRIKE + 1300 Yamaha V Star

Post by PCC »

Ya had a disappointing time with contractors this last insurance paid repair from hail damage to my house.
I got a contractor but will never hire him again. He lead me believe he would be doing the job. Then he contracted with subcontractors. :bonk:
The gutter people were supposed to put on guards but put them on wrong so now I am going to have to put them on the right way myself because nobody can be found & taking legal action will be more costly that what it will be worth. :sad:
Read My Daily Musings On Numerous Topics
Especially Riding Motorcycles & Camera Captures
Of My Meanderings...

https://pcove99.wixsite.com/website

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

Ya get what ya pay for. Money talks. Or just damn do it yerself.

I can’t speak for any one particular town, but overall construction is booming, rural and urban, and skilled quality people are in demand and you are going to have to pay for them, they are where the shortage is like it or not. When an old dog like me gets calls to return to California to run jobs you know there is a shortage of skill. Young people today are getting into apprenticeship and construction vocational schools, many of them minorities and women because pussy ass city white boys don’t want to get their lazy weak hands dirty.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

I would take the highest bid, turn it into the insurance then do the work myself.
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

VRH
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: VS1400GLP - VL1500 C90T

Post by VRH »

Ask your friends and neighbors who did work for them and how they liked it, and ask to see the workmanship. Ask the contractors how they plan to do the work. Look em up on Yelp or BBB, or one of the other contractor web sites you see on TV. Hold out for one with a good reputation if you can. If something does not sound right when you are talking to the contractor, trust your instinct. Get a few references from the contractor and call on those people.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

JFL, I would do it myself but unfortunately the back won't allow that type of work anymore. I have resorted to only doing inside projects like kitchens, bathrooms, and bedroom remodeling.
VRH, yep! I use to work in the trades, HVAC, plumbing, so I have a pretty good idea of who is worth hiring, and who I should stay away from. Still very good advice.
Looking like one we contacted, and I had to call back to get him on MY page is sending me a new quote with the work I requested. I have two others that are coming out to give me a quote as well.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

You can also check with your local BBB.....they usually will have a list of complaints from different consumers who have been scammed by unreliable contractors...it's the same story when unforeseen damage are done to homes or businesses....especially after hurricanes , tornadoes , flood damages and high winds.........those areas will be inundated with fly by night contractors who have scrupulous working practices.
I was also into the trades for 45 years...sheet metal worker HVAC... first 20 years a s a worker and the last 22 years as a supervisor.....
Got to know lots of folks..... some are still in the business....

I'm sure you're familiar with some of the folks in your area T.........try and contact one of them...
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

When we bought our house I knew the chimney was in bad shape because it was disclosed that there had been a flue fire at some point...I got many estimates and none of them made any sense or agreed, and all seemed really high, although I don't know anything about that kind of work.

Then one guy I called came out, old man with his grandson. They got on the roof and ran a video camera down the stack, showed me that all the sections of liner were damaged, said he'd have to break the cap, knock out all the liners, drop and cement new in, and rebuild the cap. Nobody else had said anything about work that extensive.

And his bid was LESS than the cheapest one I'd gotten. Quite a bit less, in fact. So I hired them. They came out a few days later, made a lotta noise and a lotta dust, ran the camera back through so I could see what they did, everybody happy, paid them, nice experience.

I've pointed a lot of people their way since. Keep looking, they are out there. As was said, you gotta wade through the fly-by-nights and tweakers and drunks and crackheads. :bang:

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

I don't know how it works in your state, but if you lived here I'd say don't contact an independent sub-contractor directly. Some of these guys advertise themselves as subcontractors just because they own a hammer and purchased liability insurance. Call a reputable home improvement company who's stood the test of time and is a licensed general contractor. They may sub out the work, but they are in the business and know who is dependable and does good work. Be prepared to pay more and wait longer too. Companies that do good work are busy. [space] [emoji106]
lovineveryminuteofit

Elsie rider
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: HD Triglide

Post by Elsie rider »

you need to ask around... when we bought this house we asked several people and found Joe, he gives decent quotes and does awesome work. He had done several projects for us and people seeing the work wants his number.
He never has to advertise or be without work as his prices and work speak for themselves ...

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

We finally got one of the contractors we contacted to get us an estimate for what WE asked to have done. We told him to just set up a date when the weather is looking better because we aren't in any major hurry. He's a contractor I have worked with when I was in the trades so I am familiar with his work quality.
I still am going to need to cut the shrubs down that were crushed and pull the trunks/roots. Looks like maybe the one furthest from the house will survive. I plan to pull the others, install a privacy fence and plant some skyrockets on that side to replace what was lost.
Snowing here again so I don't think Ill be tackling this job for a while yet [emoji2]

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Post by tabasco »

Here's my latest experience with a contractor ... unbelievable in this day and age ...

You wrote a review for Four Seasons Roofing
One week ago
5.0 star rating
2/6/2018

I called from work yesterday ... I had a problem with pieces covering the peak ridge blew off ... and needed a small (but very important repair). Oscar called me at work at 8:45 am today that he was there and already made the repair. He was professional and courteous on the phone, and did not charge for the fix ... and said he used good cement and it should be good ... and gave me a recommendation if other areas on the peak come loose (was installed by another now defunct company when house was damaged by falling tree in '10).
Anyway, service this prompt and professional should be acknowledge. I will definitely keep in mind for recommendations and/or future needs. I'm just sorry I forgot the name of the woman that took the call, as she was very professional as well. You can tell they care about their customers.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

tabasco wrote:Here's my latest experience with a contractor ... unbelievable in this day and age ...

You wrote a review for Four Seasons Roofing
One week ago
5.0 star rating
2/6/2018

I called from work yesterday ... I had a problem with pieces covering the peak ridge blew off ... and needed a small (but very important repair). Oscar called me at work at 8:45 am today that he was there and already made the repair. He was professional and courteous on the phone, and did not charge for the fix ... and said he used good cement and it should be good ... and gave me a recommendation if other areas on the peak come loose (was installed by another now defunct company when house was damaged by falling tree in '10).
Anyway, service this prompt and professional should be acknowledge. I will definitely keep in mind for recommendations and/or future needs. I'm just sorry I forgot the name of the woman that took the call, as she was very professional as well. You can tell they care about their customers.
In the past, I have encountered Contractors who did similar things as did this Fellow. He is, as you mention, an exception to be sure.

However, they don't last long.

A big part of why is that he should have charged you for his Work. Without doing so, they all-too-soon end up Out Of Business.

A Crying Shame because Experienced, Knowledgeable and HONEST Tradesmen are really needed.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Unfortunately a lot of the long standing reputable contractor's I worked with have since retired or their kid's took over the business and aren't of the same reputation. Still there's some very good one's still to be found.