The Harley Experience

Keep it civil
wally w
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 1987 VS700

The Harley Experience

Post by wally w »

Load your washer in an unbalanced way after it's filled turn it to spin now sit on it and save yourself 20,000 bucks.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: The Harley Experience

Post by Designer »

Oh Man! :blink: Now ya dunnit! :uhh:

I'd duck if'n I wuz you! :OhNo;

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

Yep, that's exactly what it's like!

_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

wally w
Passed the Circle Test

Post by wally w »

Designer wrote:Oh Man! :blink: Now ya dunnit! :uhh:

I'd duck if'n I wuz you! :OhNo;
I've owned over the years 11 Harleys just speaking from experience.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

Been riding HD for 51 years. I’m experienced.

Bought my first washing machine two years ago. Works pretty good.

Be pretty stupid to overload or operate either unbalanced. Whatever turns yer crank.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Most my over 50 years with no breaks of riding had at least one Harley in the stable and not down to only one motorcycle since the 60s. Only six Harleys and still have one. None of these were rubber mount or balanced but really never bothered me that much as it does some.As any just don't do a death grip and move around a lot. My old 66 shovel as most had a sweet spot at about 45 mph [emoji2] About any other speed was just a bunch of colors in the rear view. Like jeeps a Harley will all ways sell at or above book but sad thing bottom has fell out of motorcycles again and as low as I have ever saw them :tongue: .
Harley not the best our the worse I ever owned but all were fun.If you enjoy it no matter the brand that's what counts.Have rode so many motorcycles .Un like a few that never ride someones bike I jump at it! Trade rides often and old friends let me ride about any new Harley they buy.Many of them rode my Harley's as the first they ever sat on. About half bought a new one later or when they got back in to bikes after a long break like most do.Wally's bad ass sportster was the meanest looking harley ever made at the time and was the fastest stock one made at the time.The two carbs out the right side looked so bad ass and got to ride one after a friend got it new. Man it did some shak'in but so fun! :cheers:
Most that bad mouth them the most have never rode one. Way back when not on my sport bikes and on one of my old hog's the ones that bad mouthed them the most would ask to trade rides if by our self. All ways they had a big kid looking grin when we traded back and a few even got one soon after. Fast?Hell no. Fun? For sure............ :putput:

Marauder03
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder 1400vs

Post by Marauder03 »

I had a 1985 sportster that was stroked and had cams, for a Harley that thing would run! I don’t have anything against them. I just can’t see spending money on something that has no performance compared to the cost, they do sound good though as I go by them.

wally w
Passed the Circle Test

Post by wally w »

Marauder03 wrote:I had a 1985 sportster that was stroked and had cams, for a Harley that thing would run! I don’t have anything against them. I just can’t see spending money on something that has no performance compared to the cost, they do sound good though as I go by them.
I had an 82 with ported and polished heads sifton barracuda cams and S&S Super B topped out close to 120. Had two sweet spots one around 65 the other about 90 watched the rear view mirror spin around and fly off at about 100.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

I'd probably own a HD except for the fact that A) I cant afford one and B) over here the seemingly vast majority of people that do own them are fuckwits.

I went on a ride day at a local HD dealership (my brother booked us in) not long after I bought my LC and was vastly under whelmed by the performance (or lack thereof) of the bikes they gave us. I rode a Softail Slim and some pseudo bagger thing that shook like a paint mixer at idle. And when we got back to the shop, the sales guy was asking me if I was going to buy one today, as if it was some sort of foregone conclusion. I don't think he appreciated it when I laughed at his face.

I remember riding home on the LC thinking I already had a much better bike that was about a quarter of the price. I understand the heritage and all that, but I really just don't get what makes people want them.

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Post by MattSunn »

I have a 2005 Softail Standard with a counterbalanced 88 motor that is pretty damned smooth. Doesn't shake at all. ;IDunno:

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Marauder03 wrote:I had a 1985 sportster that was stroked and had cams, for a Harley that thing would run! I don’t have anything against them. I just can’t see spending money on something that has no performance compared to the cost, they do sound good though as I go by them.
:lmao: As you go by them. :lmao: Where? On your way to the thrift store? :lmao: Sure as hell ain’t out on the highway running interstate! Only thing goes by me out there is other Harley. Come to think of it, Harley is about the only other bike I see out there. [emoji2]
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

hillsy wrote:I'd probably own a HD except for the fact that A) I cant afford one and B) over here the seemingly vast majority of people that do own them are fuckwits.

I went on a ride day at a local HD dealership (my brother booked us in) not long after I bought my LC and was vastly under whelmed by the performance (or lack thereof) of the bikes they gave us. I rode a Softail Slim and some pseudo bagger thing that shook like a paint mixer at idle. And when we got back to the shop, the sales guy was asking me if I was going to buy one today, as if it was some sort of foregone conclusion. I don't think he appreciated it when I laughed at his face.

I remember riding home on the LC thinking I already had a much better bike that was about a quarter of the price. I understand the heritage and all that, but I really just don't get what makes people want them.
Ain’t gonna mince words here. Your story is typical bullshit served up on a bed of rice. :lolfall: No shit, man, I think you guys are the worst damn rookie story tellers in the world! :lmao:
Signifying nothing”

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

RoadKing wrote: Ain’t gonna mince words here. Your story is typical bullshit served up on a bed of rice. :lolfall: No shit, man, I think you guys are the worst damn rookie story tellers in the world! :lmao:
That's how it happened. I know - I was there :cheers:

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

BETTER YET, PLACE A BABE ON THE WASHER, AND PLACE YOURSELF IN HER FOR A RIDE ....
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Why are so many folks envious of the Harley experience?????.......... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Almost find it comical when someone mentions that the Harley's cost too much......well how many are riding around in 45,000 dollar cages???
or 4 wheel drive pick ups with those humongous tires that makes your truck look like it belongs in a truck show???

Other than the obvious consider these facts and decide for yourself....

Over 1,000,000 people own Harley Davidson motorcycles in the United States. Not only are Harley Davidson bikes among the most popular motorcycles, they have been contracted for use among several police departments and the armed forces,

There are 32 models to choose from with 5 different frame families..........name one other motorcycle manufacturer that has that many choices...

Harley Owners Group
The Harley Owners Group is a sponsored community marketing club, operated by Harley-Davidson for enthusiasts of that brand's motorcycles. Wikipedia
Founded: 1983
Affiliation: Harley-Davidson
Type of business: Company-sponsored club
Abbreviation HOG
Formation 1983
Type Company-sponsored club

Membership 1,000,000+

Affiliations Harley-Davidson
Website http://www.hog.com

There are 857 dealerships in the USA according to http://www.harley-davidson.com dealer locator by state all 50 2007. This number can change as there are new dealerships being built.

According to Hoovers Profiles: Harley Davidson offers 35 models of touring and custom Harleys through a worldwide network of more than 1,500 dealers. Florida alone has 46 dealerships

A. D. Farrow Co. Harley-Davidson in Columbus, Ohio, was founded in February of 1912 and is recognized as the oldest continuously operating Harley-Davidson dealer in America by the Harley-Davidson Motor Company. You can visit A. D. Farrow Co.'s website (http://www.adfarrow.com) to see a video made by Harley-Davidson documenting the claim. Furthermore, in response to a letter to the editor with the same question, the Enthusiast magazine, the official magazine of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co., wrote "A.D. Farrow in Columbus, Ohio, is recognized as the oldest continuously operated H-D dealer in the world,

there are currently 137 authorized Harley-Davidson dealers in Japan, as well as 202 authorized Harley-Davidson product outlets. Harley-Davidson motorcycles are quite desirable and well-respected in Japan. One of the very first motorcycles ever made in Japan was an exact copy of Harley-Davidson's flathead. Starting in the early Thirties, these were built by Sankyo under license from Harley-Davidson and named "Rikuo," which loosely translated means "King of the road" in Japanese. They were built until 1958.
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

MattSunn wrote:I have a 2005 Softail Standard with a counterbalanced 88 motor that is pretty damned smooth. Doesn't shake at all. ;IDunno:

Sure its smooth Paul its a balanced motor. I was just saying that all six of my no balance no rubber mounts were ok if rode right and know how to ride them. Did break some top motor mounts right in two after high miles but even if they did not hold up as good as most my Japan bikes they were better to make parts for and work on .They resold a lot better. :putput:

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:Why are so many folks envious of the Harley experience?????.......... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Almost find it comical when someone mentions that the Harley's cost too much......well how many are riding around in 45,000 dollar cages???
or 4 wheel drive pick ups with those humongous tires that makes your truck look like it belongs in a truck show???

Over 1,000,000 people own Harley Davidson motorcycles in the United States. Not only are Harley Davidson bikes among the most popular motorcycles, they have been contracted for use among several police departments and the armed forces,

There are 32 models to choose from with 5 different frame families..........name one other motorcycle manufacturer that has that many choices...

Harley Owners Group
The Harley Owners Group is a sponsored community marketing club, operated by Harley-Davidson for enthusiasts of that brand's motorcycles. Wikipedia
Abbreviation HOG
Formation 1983

Membership 1,000,000+

There are 857 dealerships in the USA according to http://www.harley-davidson.com dealer locator by state all 50 2007. This number can change as there are new dealerships being built.

According to Hoovers Profiles: Harley Davidson offers 35 models of touring and custom Harleys through a worldwide network of more than 1,500 dealers. Florida alone has 46 dealerships

A. D. Farrow Co. Harley-Davidson in Columbus, Ohio, was founded in February of 1912 and is recognized as the oldest continuously operating Harley-Davidson dealer in America by the Harley-Davidson Motor Company. You can visit A. D. Farrow Co.'s website (http://www.adfarrow.com) to see a video made by Harley-Davidson documenting the claim. Furthermore, in response to a letter to the editor with the same question, the Enthusiast magazine, the official magazine of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co., wrote "A.D. Farrow in Columbus, Ohio, is recognized as the oldest continuously operated H-D dealer in the world,

there are currently 137 authorized Harley-Davidson dealers in Japan, as well as 202 authorized Harley-Davidson product outlets. Harley-Davidson motorcycles are quite desirable and well-respected in Japan. One of the very first motorcycles ever made in Japan was an exact copy of Harley-Davidson's flathead. Starting in the early Thirties, these were built by Sankyo under license from Harley-Davidson and named "Rikuo," which loosely translated means "King of the road" in Japanese. They were built until 1958.
Thanks for the cut and paste history lesson - jeez, I never knew they were that popular :roll:

For the record I don't own a $45K SUV - ours is a 10 year old Outlander that is probably worth $6K. It's just a family car and it means nothing to me.

I probably could afford a HD if push came to shove but I wouldn't spend that kind of money on that type of bike when I can get something I feel is far superior for far less. Most of the reasons I see over here for people buying them makes me wanna puke (image, badassery, pirate life, etc).

Having said that I do have a few friends with HD's but they are almost embarrassed to talk about the whole image thing and they seem to be the exception to the rule when it comes to HD ownership. They also own other makes and have no delusions about HD being any better than any other brand.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

hillsy wrote:
Suzuki Johnny wrote:Why are so many folks envious of the Harley experience?????.......... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Harley Owners Group
Abbreviation HOG
Formation 1983

Membership 1,000,000+

Thanks for the cut and paste history lesson - jeez, I never knew they were that popular :roll:

For the record I don't own a $45K SUV - ours is a 10 year old Outlander that is probably worth $6K. It's just a family car and it means nothing to me.

I probably could afford a HD if push came to shove but I wouldn't spend that kind of money on that type of bike when I can get something I feel is far superior for far less. Most of the reasons I see over here for people buying them makes me wanna puke (image, badassery, pirate life, etc).

Having said that I do have a few friends with HD's but they are almost embarrassed to talk about the whole image thing and they seem to be the exception to the rule when it comes to HD ownership. They also own other makes and have no delusions about HD being any better than any other brand.

That's the kicker....Harleys aren't any better than any other major bike manufacturer .....So why are they so popular???
And just for the record...you're not getting anything more superior than Harleys, modern day bikes are dependable as your car or truck
It may cost less when you first purchase a Metric ..but try and buy parts for it..very little difference on either brands
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:

That's the kicker....Harleys aren't any better than any other major bike manufacturer .....So why are they so popular???
And just for the record...you're not getting anything more superior than Harleys, modern day bikes are dependable as your car or truck
It may cost less when you first purchase a Metric ..but try and buy parts for it..very little difference on either brands
My interpretation of superior is better performance (power, weight, handling). Something which metric and Euro bikes have had over HD for decades.

Not 100% sure about parts over here - I know having contacts in a Metric dealership means I can get whatever I want for trade prices, but comparatively HD appears to be more expensive for a lot of stuff. Also I believe they stopped selling genuine HD parts on-line from the US a few years back and now you can only buy through a dealer over here.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

My 67 Shovel. Stroked 10 over. Don’t shake, ain’t supposed to, well tuned. I kick down a gear directly into 2800 rpm and cruise past and it sounds so smooth not even a cop knows by ear that I’m running straight pipes. Geared for the highway and cruises 90 plus effortlessly in desert heat. Superior? Hell, I don’t know, don’t care. But sometimes I wonder if I’m reading stupidity or ignorance. Experienced multi- brand motorcycle enthusiasts? Then why all the bull crap?
Signifying nothing”