Movies

Keep it civil
RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Movies

Post by RoadKing »

Have enjoyed movies since I was a kid. A whole bunch of movies. I mention a few. Recommend even fewer.

Acts of Violence.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Re: Movies

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

I like watching old movies. The music was always in the background with the old movies. With today's movies, I can't hear what's being said half the time for the sound effects and music. I especially like looking at movies with lots of cars. Love looking at the old cars.
lovineveryminuteofit

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

I agree with Suzyrider......music that accompanies modern day movies is deafening....instead of using the scenery has an enhancement they use music
LOUD MUSIC.....that's why I haven't been to the movies in ages..
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Same here, haven’t ‘been to movies’ in ages. No need to. Watch new flicks at home, on demand. Loud music has always existed in movies.

Once again, name of the movie...

Acts of Violence

You won’t even notice the loud music. It’s a gooder.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I've found that the movies I like best are usually ones that are NOT a linear story, as in having a lot of jumps in timeline, where you are intentionally lost, knowing an outcome but not what led up to it, and then the story starts to backfill. And movies that bump back and forth between different groups or individuals, and having them intersect at different points.

I also like the use of the jump cut to show what a character is talking about, making them go from character talking to voiceover narrator while showing you what they are discussing. I only recently learned this is known as "hyperlink theater" when used.

Anyway, the kinds of movies that people who can't read between the lines and can't stand to feel lost for even a moment won't be able to follow or appreciate, as in "STOP ASKING ME WHO WHAT WHY AND WATCH THE GODDAM MOVIE...you're SUPPOSED to be lost here...sheesh...."

Nope, if you need it spoon-fed in a straight line of plot, let's not watch movies together. No good will come of it. [emoji2]

Some one of the kind I like:

Crash
Pulp Fiction
Snatch
Smokin' Aces
Chronicles of Riddick
Memento

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Oh sweet! I LOVE Bruce Willis movies.

His roles are getting more complex as he ages, but I always liked the simplicity of his comfort zone.

I wrote out a kind of "mad-lib" type Bruce Willis movie plot generator long ago, and it almost always works to at least some degree.

"A boozy, washed-up [policeman, detective, soldier, gunfighter, mercenary, bodyguard, etc] is tasked to [kill, return, save, locate, steal, etc] a [kidnap victim, criminal, evil force, enemy, demon, secret weapon, etc] by a(n) [old friend, faceless corporation, former commander, etc) who will double-cross him in some way. But he will rise to the challenge and save the [universe, world, town, day, victim, etc] while getting his revenge on the double-crosser."

Nothing wrong with that formula. It worked well for Clint Eastwood with much more narrow parameters. [emoji2]

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

Twelve Monkeys rocks! Not sure I have seen Looper though, need to check it out.

Here's an old classic I like...

Where Eagles Dare
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

It's a Chopper baby!" :putput:

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

jeffcoslacker wrote:Thanks, I'll check it out.

I've found that the movies I like best are usually ones that are NOT a linear story, as in having a lot of jumps in timeline, where you are intentionally lost, knowing an outcome but not what led up to it, and then the story starts to backfill. And movies that bump back and forth between different groups or individuals, and having them intersect at different points.

I also like the use of the jump cut to show what a character is talking about, making them go from character talking to voiceover narrator while showing you what they are discussing. I only recently learned this is known as "hyperlink theater" when used.

Anyway, the kinds of movies that people who can't read between the lines and can't stand to feel lost for even a moment won't be able to follow or appreciate, as in "STOP ASKING ME WHO WHAT WHY AND WATCH THE GODDAM MOVIE...you're SUPPOSED to be lost here...sheesh...."

Nope, if you need it spoon-fed in a straight line of plot, let's not watch movies together. No good will come of it. [emoji2]

Some one of the kind I like:

Crash
Pulp Fiction
Snatch
Smokin' Aces
Chronicles of Riddick
Memento

The technique you site is awesome and used frequently in literature as well as film. My first awareness of it was as a kid back in the 50’s when I first saw Citizen Kane, considered the greatest film ever by many. The technique you describe, Jeffco, is used in Citizen Kane in a mesmerizing manner! I don’t know anyone who is opposed to this style nor do I know anyone who needs to be spoon fed. However, the movie that I recommend here is totally linear, fast moving, gets the job done. As far as watching movies together, Jeffco, forget it. :lolfall:
Signifying nothing”