Handlebar Muffs!

Keep it civil
DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

Handlebar Muffs!

Post by DevilsFan »

Rode the NC700 up to Eustis in mid-50's today (70 miles one way). For you Northerners you may think that's nothing, but when your blood thins here...it's somethin'!!!

Had my layers on and...these! ($20) on Amazon.

Sorry for the night picture. I rode up in windy conditions and temps in the low 50's. I used my normal, everyday riding gloves and threw my hands in these "Handle bar Muffs". Kept my hands fine all the way up.
On the way back I could feel it getting colder so I put on my winter riding gloves then stuck my hands in. TOTALLY WARM!!! To the point my hands were getting sweaty.

Overall impressions of the "Handlebar Muffs" - definitely worth the $20!!! They're supposed to be waterproof. They may be until the rain get's in through the holes. Either way, they can definitely help with a pair of gloves.
As for performance, since you can't physically see the buttons (with the DCT ya got the "D", "S" and everything else!) it was a little difficult trying to feel with gloves on for them, especially the turn signal. But once I got a mental picture where everything was...easy peasy!

I do plan to sew a set as I bought the fabric. Just wanted to see a pair close up and personal so $20 wasn't going to sting me.
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Re: Handlebar Muffs!

Post by MattSunn »

I like those. [emoji106] Any issues with the brake lever?

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Had Hippo Hands and some others that I used a lot when below 35 on 97 mile work ride to IBM. Lots of my old friends have them now one has a set that are like yours. Two have the kind that look like a box! If less than 20 miles has to be in the teens before I use my elc. gloves. My big mittens or thick winter gloves are ok for short rides. :putput:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

A company called wunderlich makes a pair with little clear windows so you can see the control buttons, they are also waterproof and a lot more expensive than the $20 pair you have.
So what am I getting at? Keep your $20 pair, you'll get use to not seeing the buttons.
I did a post on the old board about using muff's, option's, and the cheapest place to get them. Bottom line is that the ones you have are as good as anything else out there. My daughter has the same one's as you that I got on eBay for $12.
I don't wear gloves when I use mine since I find gloves unnecessary except when temps get below freezing.

Mattsunn, they can hang levers a little until they soften some with use. I run mine for rain and cold so they got weathered quickly. They don't hang on applying brake or clutch, if they hang some it's on release.

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by DevilsFan »

Again, since I plan to sew a pair with my new sewing machine and "sewing skills" (notice the 'k-i-l-l' in that word! ) I didn't want to buy the high-end pairs.
As for grabbing the clutch handle...I don't have to worry about that on my DCT!!! [emoji106]

Seriously, because my fingers are always on the levers there's plenty of room (at least for the Honda's) where it's not grabbing the levers. Even when I was stopped and took my hands out of the muffs to adjust my visor there was no grabbing.

$20 well spent, as far as I'm concerned. Maybe I can make my pair that I plan to sew a little wider.
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

PCC
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: GW TRIKE + 1300 Yamaha V Star

Post by PCC »

Now that is the ticket! [emoji106]
Read My Daily Musings On Numerous Topics
Especially Riding Motorcycles & Camera Captures
Of My Meanderings...

https://pcove99.wixsite.com/website

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I had a pair of them that I paid $2.50 for at a yard sale. They were lined and made of the same material as my heavy Bilt jacket. Did the job well in 20 deg and up weather, never rode in temps lower than 20.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

DF, curious, why are you making a pair?
I'm only asking because I know that my daughter has the same or very similar one's as you posted. Hers are 5-6 year's used with no real wear to speak of.
They do make a HUGE difference in both cold and rain

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by DevilsFan »

Tbeck wrote:DF, curious, why are you making a pair?
I'm only asking because I know that my daughter has the same or very similar one's as you posted. Hers are 5-6 year's used with no real wear to speak of.
They do make a HUGE difference in both cold and rain

Because I have a brand new sewing machine and want to experiment!!! [emoji2]

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Gotcha [emoji106] .
My wunderlich pair is made with 5 or 600 denier textile, pretty stiff but waterproof.

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by DevilsFan »

Tbeck wrote:Gotcha [emoji106] .
My wunderlich pair is made with 5 or 600 denier textile, pretty stiff but waterproof.

I bought some "pleather" like material at Walmart, alligator grey no less. Plan to line it with some fleece. Hopefully by this weekend I'll have something put together.

I sewed my little pup a jacket yesterday. It works, she hates wearing anything, and it looks like something out of the "flawed material" bin...but I'm learning! [emoji106]

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

DF, used to use a sewing machine when in my teen's, but I probably couldn't set one up if I had to anymore, long since forgotten. Enjoy your learning and playing, it's useful.

PCC
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: GW TRIKE + 1300 Yamaha V Star

Post by PCC »

Might try my hand at it since I have more time now days.

Oh wait... my daughter has my sewing machine. I might get her to sew it up for me. :ahha:
Read My Daily Musings On Numerous Topics
Especially Riding Motorcycles & Camera Captures
Of My Meanderings...

https://pcove99.wixsite.com/website

lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by lonerider »

When I was a kid my mom taught me how to use a Singer sewing machine with a treadle. Once you got the hang of it it was pretty easy, and I'm sure I could operate one today if I tried. :smile: