How to exterminate Asian giant Hornets

Keep it civil
Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

How to exterminate Asian giant Hornets

Post by Fred »

Whilst cutting down a bunch of bananas from the garden yesterday I got attacked by these bastards, believe me they bring a whole new level to the meaning of pain. These Asian Giants about 30mm long kill Elephants. I was suffering with acute pain on my ear and belly for 10 hours. It finally subsided enough to sleep --kinda.

Today is extermination day

--any Ideas- The nest is about the size of a small coconut. I am thinking of a can of WD 40 and a lighter and make a flame thrower. Thing is I am terrified of this happening again, they seem to know who I am and go for me --no one else.

I think I might get the vacuum cleaner in reverse and blow smoke at them. The are inside a thorn bush,--smart bastards are'nt they.

The internet says wait till dark and bag them,-- Oh yeah sure.

Now if a still had my shot gun I could don my crash helmet and some UK winter clothes and sneak up on them. Hope the nieghbours are'nt looking.

Actually I have no Idea what to do with them.

Digger
Learning My Moped
My Bike: Road Star

Re: How to exterminate Asian giant Hornets

Post by Digger »

I used Wilson One Shot Wasp and Hornet Killer from Home Depot. Seals off the opening so none can get out and just sprayed 'til the nest was soggy and falling apart. All dead, none escaped and no further problems.

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

How much would it cost there in Thailand to have a professional take care of this for you? I prefer to do most of my own work when I can, but this sounds like one of those jobs that I would be happy to sub out!
Arthritis sucks!

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Starting fluid has a lot more reach than WD-40, and since it has ether it will start to paralyze them instantly. Spray it on and when/if they start to appear put a lighter to the stream and you have a glorious flamethrower.

You are correct, their memory for smells is very acute, if they've dealt with you as a hive threat before they will collectively remember you as a threat when they get wind of you.

Best to attack from downwind and at night, if possible. Wasps/bees/hornets aren't good night flyers. Vision is not good in low light. But they can see into the ultraviolet range. Light colored clothing washed in most good detergents absolutely glows in the ultraviolet spectrum, so....I'd go all ninja-style, personally.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Bastards

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Forge »

I watched a documentary on those Asiatic giant hornets years ago and they are one bad ass hornet. There are many fatalities every year from them and the stingers are up to 6mm and dump a lot of venom.
Arthritis sucks!

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Some seriously good advice here, I hav'nt done anything yet as the guy next door wants the nest to eat, Yep I don't know just what bit but apparently he wanted that bit. I don't really care what delicacy this nest may hold but he is welcome to it.

I was looking forward to watching him but hes chickened out.

Maybe he might get hungry tomorrow.

The photo by jeff is pretty spot . How the hell do you take a photo of one on your hand.

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club

Post by Forge »

Hire a professional. I generally like to do my own work, but this is one case where I woudn’t mind subbing it out.
Arthritis sucks!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Fashion a suitable flamethrower, many propane versions out there utilize a 20 lb. tank.
Afix said flamethrower in the bucket of an excavator with an enclosed cab.
Works every time.

Travlin
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: Ummmmmmmm a 1400

Post by Travlin »

jeffcoslacker wrote:Starting fluid has a lot more reach than WD-40, and since it has ether it will start to paralyze them instantly. Spray it on and when/if they start to appear put a lighter to the stream and you have a glorious flamethrower.

You are correct, their memory for smells is very acute, if they've dealt with you as a hive threat before they will collectively remember you as a threat when they get wind of you.

Best to attack from downwind and at night, if possible. Wasps/bees/hornets aren't good night flyers. Vision is not good in low light. But they can see into the ultraviolet range. Light colored clothing washed in most good detergents absolutely glows in the ultraviolet spectrum, so....I'd go all ninja-style, personally.
Something I got to personally witness with a wasp and staying fluid, funny as hell although my buddy didn't think so. He shot a wall with it and as advertised knocked it down. Apperantly doesn't kill just stuns them. Several minutes later I see the wall coming out of it and was PISSED. It came up of the ground with one thing in its head and proceeded to rock his assailant's world.

Ranks right up there with some of the funnier things I have watched. I swear it flipped him off as it flew off.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Fred wrote:
The photo by jeff is pretty spot . How the hell do you take a photo of one on your hand.
I just found the pic online. I wouldn't have that on my hand even if it were dead a year. :uhh:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Travlin wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote:Starting fluid has a lot more reach than WD-40, and since it has ether it will start to paralyze them instantly. Spray it on and when/if they start to appear put a lighter to the stream and you have a glorious flamethrower.

Something I got to personally witness with a wasp and staying fluid, funny as hell although my buddy didn't think so. He shot a wall with it and as advertised knocked it down. Apperantly doesn't kill just stuns them. Several minutes later I see the wall coming out of it and was PISSED. It came up of the ground with one thing in its head and proceeded to rock his assailant's world.

Ranks right up there with some of the funnier things I have watched. I swear it flipped him off as it flew off.
Yeah I should have mentioned but I figure people know how ether works. If any drop to the ground you gotta torch them, or they will shake it off and come back to life. Or at least keep spraying them. It is lethal to them when they get soaked in it.

A while back I watched a youtube vid where a guy was dealing with an enormous paper wasp nest. He set up a pitch-soaked rag torch on a long pole near it and then came back with a 12 gauge loaded with light birdshot. Fired point-blank and turned it into confetti, which then flared instantly off the torch. It was epic :rock:

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Ok -just to finish the story, donned with Anarak plastic poncho and beach towel wrapped around the waist I taped a blo lamp to a 8foot stick, lit it and stuffed it into the 1/2 inch hole.

None were there , it was a weak build and incinerated in seconds. A few flew back to find nothing, checked thier flight approach and still found noting. I expect this to be over.

Im sure the mug of E20 2 days ago was what did em in.

If some one chucked 50 gallon of petrol through your bedroom window you too would start to look for alternative accommodation.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

And that was what I was going to suggest.... gasoline or as you people call it petrol. :OhNo;
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:And that was what I was going to suggest.... gasoline or as you people call it petrol. :OhNo;

Well it is short for petroleum and is a petroleum derivative, gasoline does not really exist.

Its not in gas a form --its liquid.

The French have never deep fried slices of potato either.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Actually, gasoline is refined from petroleum. Petroleum is the base of all oil products.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Herb wrote:Actually, gasoline is refined from petroleum. Petroleum is the base of all oil products.
Almost word for word for what I found on google too.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Fred wrote:
Herb wrote:Actually, gasoline is refined from petroleum. Petroleum is the base of all oil products.
I didn't have to google it, I learned that when I first started working on cars, age 10 0r 11.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Herb wrote:
Fred wrote:
I didn't have to google it, I learned that when I first set fire to myself when working on cars, age 10 0r 11.
Were you boy or girl at that age.

Why such a late start. I could drive when I was 2

BoDog
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: None anymore

Post by BoDog »

And this thread was going so good............