Keep it civil
Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

We've received 114" of snow for the month of December. Our usual ANNUAL snow fall is 100".
It's snowing again after a brief break yesterday, only got about 6" overnight, but the weather forecast looks like more lake effect snow lasting through Tuesday.
Great record breaking month, but nothing like the lake effect snow storm that shut down Buffalo NY in 77.
Still we got blasted

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: 114

Post by navigator »

Any snow shovels left at Lowes?

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

How does your roof not collapse?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

The roofs are built to take the weight, but fortunately the wind keeps the resting snow down to about 1-2'.
Every house around here has huge snow drifts hanging over the roof and down a good foot or so. Looks like a big snow wave until the weight becomes to much and gravity kicks in.
The destructive item is hanging ice, aka icicles. I have a lot of 5-6' icicles hanging that I need to knock down.

Nav, everyone is sold out of shovels and snow blowers.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

I guess if someone's insulation was poor, the ice from melt would tear stuff apart pretty quick.

I remember one house I had, one day I noticed there was a stripe of bare roof, the rest covered with snow. And a big ice sculpture hanging off the gutter. A whole section of insulation had fallen down out of the frames up there.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Jeffco, it sounds rather opposite of what you'd expect but the attic area or above a dormer doesn't get insulated on the roof side, and the eaves are open as well. These area's actually balance inside with the outside. Most 2 stories here have end roof vents as well. Newer homes use a roof ridge vent. You are going to lose heat through any roof, heat rises and as such you are going to get icicles.
Of course if your home is losing an excessive amount of heat you probably need to look at the insulation separating the attic from your ceiling.
Looks like they are now forecasting a week before this event goes by and temperature gets back to normal.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Tbeck wrote:Jeffco, it sounds rather opposite of what you'd expect but the attic area or above a dormer doesn't get insulated on the roof side, and the eaves are open as well. These area's actually balance inside with the outside. Most 2 stories here have end roof vents as well. Newer homes use a roof ridge vent. You are going to lose heat through any roof, heat rises and as such you are going to get icicles.
Of course if your home is losing an excessive amount of heat you probably need to look at the insulation separating the attic from your ceiling.
Looks like they are now forecasting a week before this event goes by and temperature gets back to normal.
It was an old house and I don't think they had any idea what they were doing with it...it had some nasty blown-in crap that was where you'd expect good insulation, and it was not enough. Then they had rolled out fiberglass and stapled it to the underside. Which crushes it, and kinda ruins the whole idea of trapped air to begin with. But apparently made enough difference to see it in the melt...That was in the open section, about a third of the attic had been made into a room, and the roof above it was always bare. that house sucked. Everything was wrong. Thank God it was a rental.

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

Post by DevilsFan »

I rode 200 miles today...in the sunshine...and it was nice! :evil:
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

We rode 100 miles in half way drizzle and cloudy skies.....51 degrees ...ideal riding weather for the deep south in late December [emoji106]
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Tbeck wrote:We've received 114" of snow for the month of December. Our usual ANNUAL snow fall is 100".
It's snowing again after a brief break yesterday, only got about 6" overnight, but the weather forecast looks like more lake effect snow lasting through Tuesday.
Great record breaking month, but nothing like the lake effect snow storm that shut down Buffalo NY in 77.
Still we got blasted
has your state applied for federal aid?
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

BoDog
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: None anymore

Post by BoDog »

I wish we could take some of that off your hands. It's dry, dry, dry here. :sad:

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

BE VERY HAPPY IT'S SHOVELABLE SNOW RATHER THAN RAIN ....
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

1sttightwad
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2008 Suzuki s83

Post by 1sttightwad »

114 inches of snow... What's that...... Last time we had snow here was 1987. Dave

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

We got our share December the 8th of last year .....I'm so glad it doesn't show it's ugly head around here but every 10 years or so

duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Herb, I don't believe so. The dumping we got was local and limited. I should explain. Erie is sandwiched between lake Erie and I 90. I 90 is the high point about 5-10 miles from the lake. So when we get lake effect snow it hits either the lakefront, that 5-10 mile area, or south of I90. So it's a stretch 5-10 miles north to south and a good 30-40 miles east to west.
South of 90 got snow, but only about 1/3 of what we got north of 90.
They did declare a snow emergency which is a local thing; stay off roads, no 2wd vehicles without snow tires and/or chain's, no roadside parking.
Regardless we're still digging out. When you get this much (128" last I read) in one big dumping, and it's this cold, getting rid of the snow you're removing from the roadways is the big issue. All kinds of environmental regulations to prevent harming the waterway's.
Thanks for asking though

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Tbeck wrote:Herb, I don't believe so. The dumping we got was local and limited. I should explain. Erie is sandwiched between lake Erie and I 90. I 90 is the high point about 5-10 miles from the lake. So when we get lake effect snow it hits either the lakefront, that 5-10 mile area, or south of I90. So it's a stretch 5-10 miles north to south and a good 30-40 miles east to west.
South of 90 got snow, but only about 1/3 of what we got north of 90.
They did declare a snow emergency which is a local thing; stay off roads, no 2wd vehicles without snow tires and/or chain's, no roadside parking.
Regardless we're still digging out. When you get this much (128" last I read) in one big dumping, and it's this cold, getting rid of the snow you're removing from the roadways is the big issue. All kinds of environmental regulations to prevent harming the waterway's.
Thanks for asking though
Is LE snow usually powdery or slop?

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Jeffco, there's not a set type. This time it started with the big dime sized flakes, turned to the wet flakes, then back to what I call normal snow (medium sized flakes not real wet). Today we're getting the real tiny mist type.
To give you an idea my back yard has 2' of lite slow resting on 2' of snow heavy enough to hold my 120 pound dog up.
Like I was saying it's the cold that is the biggest problem at this stage, because it hampers the cleaning up.
It's going to get REALLY wet when temps warm up. That's also when damage to homes and such is likely.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Tbeck wrote:Jeffco, there's not a set type. This time it started with the big dime sized flakes, turned to the wet flakes, then back to what I call normal snow (medium sized flakes not real wet). Today we're getting the real tiny mist type.
To give you an idea my back yard has 2' of lite slow resting on 2' of snow heavy enough to hold my 120 pound dog up.
Like I was saying it's the cold that is the biggest problem at this stage, because it hampers the cleaning up.
It's going to get REALLY wet when temps warm up. That's also when damage to homes and such is likely.
When I was a kid we had a freak storm that dumped about 3' in two closely spaced events. It was layered like you described. When you mentioned the dog it reminded me. In the back yard the snow had drifted about 4-5' high, with a semi-circular clear area. It kind of ramped up to full height on the outer ends.

I let our boxer out. She was pretty amazed. She was able to gingerly walk on top of it and get up where she was looking down at me. At that moment I realized that the snow probably drifted right over the fence, and being a runner, she would bolt as soon as she noticed it.

So I did that move where you abruptly spread your arms and make a sound that to dogs makes them instantly crouch into the ready to play/fight stance, knowing when she did she'd probably break through.

She did. Disappeared like through a trap door. :lmao: A few moments of quiet rustling and she burst out through the face of the vertical part of the drift, covered in snow, with a "WTF was that?" look on her face. It was priceless. [emoji2]

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Jeffco, one of my boxer's did that at the lake. Fell right through the ice doing that stupid front down rear up posture.