omfg

Keep it civil
jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Re: omfg

Post by jeffcoslacker »

MadCow wrote:
Cuban wrote:[emoji2] If you can find a way to watch the 3 part documentary called Orbit: Earth's Extraordinary Journey, I'd highly recommend it. [emoji41]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00xztbr/episodes/guide
Any idea where I can go to watch these? Looks very interesting!
Everything is on youtube, somewhere

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ode+1+full+

meh...those are pretty awful, format wise. I'll keep looking

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Wow...I've always liked the Vsauce videos, and this one is excellent if you want a little perspective on Earth's relative motion to everything else, what causes it and what it means for us as far as timekeeping. It makes some difficult to envision concepts pretty clear.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

This thread makes me happy that I reside in the deep south......high today was 40 degrees [emoji106]
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 03 FXDWG

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:This thread makes me happy that I reside in the deep south......high today was 40 degrees [emoji106]
40 eh? :putput:
:evil: [emoji56]

I have a lot of opinions, some of them professional, some of them educated, most of them I just pulled out of my @$$

Some of my best stupidity is largely self-inflicted. :roll:

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Prodigal_Sun wrote:
Suzuki Johnny wrote:This thread makes me happy that I reside in the deep south......high today was 40 degrees [emoji106]
40 eh? :putput:

Yep.....high today is 45.....tomorrow and Friday p/c and 54 and Saturday p/c and 58 [emoji106]
someone has to carry the load and live in Gods Country....might as well be Moi

Although next week isn't going to be so balmy.....winter has finally reached Cajun Land

“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

jeffcoslacker wrote:Mon
Jan 1
HIGH 2°F / LOW -14°F

Last time I remember a day like that was over 20 years ago when I was in Chicago. Bullocks. :blink:
WE'RE WAITING FOR U IN SUNNY FLA ... BIG BOY!

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 03 FXDWG

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

It's supposed to get up to 14 today, I might go streaking! :lolfall:
:evil: [emoji56]

I have a lot of opinions, some of them professional, some of them educated, most of them I just pulled out of my @$$

Some of my best stupidity is largely self-inflicted. :roll:

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

After my ten degree ride to Danville to meet old coots this AM my thunb nails were last thing to feel good again. Should have used my heated gloves but under 30 miles thought of how many times going to Lexington in the 80s/90s with no heated gear for all most 50 miles each way. Now remember I am 71 now and on BP meds last three years :bonk: :bonk: . Did get bragging rights as the other 11 did not ride in. Did not make the thumb nails hurt less :tongue: Coming back sun out and raised a few degrees. Just that little was much,mo,better! :cheers: :putput: Have seen no other bikes out the last three days.
Stop at the dealer on ride yesterday and did a double take at a new 900Z kaw! Retro that has the colors that look so much like the first year 1973 KZ 900. It was the only year with a black motor. 1977 KZ 1000 replaced the 900.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

old time rider wrote:After my ten degree ride to Danville to meet old coots this AM my thunb nails were last thing to feel good again. Should have used my heated gloves but under 30 miles thought of how many times going to Lexington in the 80s/90s with no heated gear for all most 50 miles each way. Now remember I am 71 now and on BP meds last three years :bonk: :bonk: . Did get bragging rights as the other 11 did not ride in. Did not make the thumb nails hurt less :tongue: Coming back sun out and raised a few degrees. Just that little was much,mo,better! :cheers: :putput: Have seen no other bikes out the last three days.
Stop at the dealer on ride yesterday and did a double take at a new 900Z kaw! Retro that has the colors that look so much like the first year 1973 KZ 900. It was the only year with a black motor. 1977 KZ 1000 replaced the 900.
You magnificent old bastard. [emoji2]

Coldest ride I ever took I think was just around town trying to find a store open one Thanksgiving when it was about 19 out. That was with the big VN1500C and it did NOT like those temps. Kept wanting the choke to idle right after moving for a while. Then it would get a little heat soak going while waiting for the light to change, and I could run it lean again. Think I probably still didn't have the jetting quite right for the pipes at that point.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Put over 82,000 on my 1500 Kaw twin in less than four years.It had same factory battery when sold with no jumps,charges or tender ever.All ways started even in single temps with the Fi but was rode every day but maybe five in that time. Slowest big bike I ever owned.At 103mph and pulling good it just would come to a stop on pulling? My friends 1500 vulcan with carb would run away from it on big end and had less less hp.Nomad would take it in 1/4. It all so drink gas big time next to the heavy Nomad 1500? :putput:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

old time rider wrote:Put over 82,000 on my 1500 Kaw twin in less than four years.It had same factory battery when sold with no jumps,charges or tender ever.All ways started even in single temps with the Fi but was rode every day but maybe five in that time. Slowest big bike I ever owned.At 103mph and pulling good it just would come to a stop on pulling? My friends 1500 vulcan with carb would run away from it on big end and had less less hp.Nomad would take it in 1/4. It all so drink gas big time next to the heavy Nomad 1500? :putput:
the FI models probably had a speed governor and made it lay down at that speed. Yeah mine was slow too, but the power just kept coming across the whole range. I had it well above 115 a couple of times, seemingly with more to go. Had more handle left anyway.

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »

MadCow wrote: Any idea where I can go to watch these? Looks very interesting!
[emoji2] Well, I have it on my DVR here, recorded from BBC-Earth. I've watched it through twice. They get the information across very well... [emoji106]

BoDog
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: None anymore

Post by BoDog »

66 degrees here today, incredible.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

12 degrees last night...a little warmer tomorrow...and then back down to well, it could hit zero here at the house....the Colonial Pipeline kerosene pipe should hook right to my furnace!

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

jonnycando wrote:12 degrees last night...a little warmer tomorrow...and then back down to well, it could hit zero here at the house....the Colonial Pipeline kerosene pipe should hook right to my furnace!

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

That would do the trick!

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

jonnycando wrote:That would do the trick!
I thought it was a pic of your furnace.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Any rocket geeks here? No? Didn't think so. But since it's my thread I can hijack it and go rogue.

See the big pipe on the left with the nozzle belching sooty smoke? That makes this an example of an open-cycle rocket engine. That kero (or whatever you're using for fuel) and liquid o2 has to get to the engine in major volume, so rocket engines use pre-burner driven turbines to spin the pumps for fuel and LOX.

The black soot here says this is what they call a fuel-rich pre-burner, which is to say it wastes a lotta fuel, unfortunately. Up to 20% of the engine's potential thrust is lost here. When you see a rocket launch, many times you'll see flames sporadically appearing and licking the outside of the thrust nozzles, and it makes you wonder if there's something going wrong. It's not. As the airflow around the vehicle bends the pre-burner exhaust back into the thrust nozzle flame, there's moments of back-burn where it ignites and tries to self-sustain...but it can't really. Too rich, too much turbulent air. It can't burn back into the pipe because the o2 has been used in the pre-burner so until it exits the system, it has no source.

The Russians blew everybody's socks off in the 60's by creating closed-cycle rocket engines, which were considered impossible at the time. They route the by-products of the pre-burner back into use in the thrust section, which sounds like a no-brainer, but materials and engineering-wise is actually pretty difficult. Wrong temp, wrong pressure, wrong ratio, etc. Plus you generally need two pumps with complex cross-feeds, more complexity and headaches. But doing so gives you a nice boost in power and efficiency.

The Russians were building the best designed rocket engines in the world in the 60's and 70's...I said best DESIGNED because while they were elegant and brilliant engineering solutions, they also tended to explode or fail semi-regularly, due to materials flaws and inconsistencies, and poor build quality. Unlike our facilities where everything had to spec and fit perfectly or be rejected, and materials science was top-notch for the times, the Russian factory workers had pretty much free reign to modify parts to fit if made incorrectly, weren't terribly concerned with details like torque specs and such, and the high temp alloys used often weren't very good quality.

So the BEST rocket engine, if you've got millions in equipment or even your butt sitting on top, is the one that's most likely to work right without blowing up or quitting. In that respect, WE built the best rocket engines of the time. [emoji106]

Oh I was gonna mention...the turbopumps on the Space Shuttle's main engines (not the solid boosters) produce around 80,000 hp to deliver the fuel and LOX to the engines. :eek: ...that's serious fuel delivery.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

80000hp just to pump fuel? Defying gravity is not easy business!

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

jonnycando wrote:80000hp just to pump fuel? Defying gravity is not easy business!
nope. That's why it currently costs $1000/lb to put something in space. Elon's got a plan, though. :rock: