Know what I miss?

Keep it civil
RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Know what I miss?

Post by RoadKing »

I miss Jerry and the boys performing Bird Song live.

I miss Calvin and Hobbes.

I miss five dollar foot long subs.

I miss Sears and Roebuck.

I miss sticks of red licorice for a penny.

What do you miss?
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Re: Know what I miss?

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Wing vent windows and rain gutters on cars

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Gillette Blue Blades and Friday Night Fights.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

Something I miss mostly about my childhood was waking up on our farm early on an overcast November day and the whole family would go pick up Pecans by the 5 gallon bucket full. We had quite a few pecan trees...it was our secondary source of income on the farm.

Of course, us kids would last about an hour or so of picking up pecans before we would end up just goofing off running around the pecan trees chasing squirrels with our dog (German Shepard) and trying to dig up moles. We had so much fun!
-DBTO

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

MadCow wrote:Something I miss mostly about my childhood was waking up on our farm early on an overcast November day and the whole family would go pick up Pecans by the 5 gallon bucket full. We had quite a few pecan trees...it was our secondary source of income on the farm.

Of course, us kids would last about an hour or so of picking up pecans before we would end up just goofing off running around the pecan trees chasing squirrels with our dog (German Shepard) and trying to dig up moles. We had so much fun!
Ah, the endless wonderful childhood memories,

From my childhood, two Florida race car drivers. Fireball Roberts and Big Daddy Garlits.
Signifying nothing”

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

RoadKing wrote:
MadCow wrote:Something I miss mostly about my childhood was waking up on our farm early on an overcast November day and the whole family would go pick up Pecans by the 5 gallon bucket full. We had quite a few pecan trees...it was our secondary source of income on the farm.

Ah, the endless wonderful childhood memories,

From my childhood, two Florida race car drivers. Fireball Roberts and Big Daddy Garlits.
Don Garlits' spectacular clutch explosion was the reason they started taking scatter shields seriously. He lost half his foot.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

All so rear motor rails. Big Daddy was a small guy. He all so pulled the motor out of his Hemi Mopar wagon that he was pulling the rail with at a meet after the rail motor went bad. He ran them after that eye opener! [emoji2] The first time he went to Cal and ran they beat him bad but he made up for it many times over. :cheers:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

I miss dial phones tethered to the wall....NOT.
Why do they still call that hum a dial tone?

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

Miss my dog of 60 years ago. I swear he understood every word I said to him. Miss every one of the lots after him but a ten year old farm boy with a dog beside him and big help getting the cows in is hard to beat. Big collie mix dog would lay on him and both nap sometimes in a field. All so good at furry tail hunting. Walk like a cat till he spotted one.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

RoadKing wrote:I miss Jerry and the boys performing Bird Song live.

I miss Calvin and Hobbes.

I miss five dollar foot long subs.

I miss Sears and Roebuck.

I miss sticks of red licorice for a penny.

What do you miss?
There is nothing like a Grateful Dead concert. [emoji106]
Early '70's where certainly a much happier time. :cheers:

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

Bench seats in automobiles. Chrome grilles and hood ornaments. Drive-in restaurants with pretty, flirtatious waitresses who would hang a tray on your car window and serve you a bottle of beer to go with your burger as you sat in your car. Service stations.
lovineveryminuteofit

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

navigator wrote:I miss dial phones tethered to the wall....NOT.
It indicates that the exchange is working and is ready to initiate a telephone call. That hum came from the phone company PBX which sends that tone when an off the hook is detected which tells the end user it is ready to receive ...as soon as you send that first digit of the phone number the PBX halts the tone once it recognizes that digit. More or less it's telling you everything is working and to dial your number, hence the "dial tone". When you got no dial tone, you were not connected to the PBX and your line is not working.

You asked.

**sheepish grin**
-DBTO

lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by lonerider »

Drive-in movies. Cruising up and down the main boulevard on Saturday night. Watching the submarine races. Stopping at McDonald's for a 15cent burger. Nickel candy bars. Getting an eraser thrown at me by the nun for not paying attention. Sneaking my dad's 55 Buick out for a ride when he was at work and I was 14. Watching Ozzie and Harriet on a black and white TV. Riding downtown on the 'el train for a dime. And I miss my parents, they were good folks.

:smile:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

MadCow wrote:
It indicates that the exchange is working and is ready to initiate a telephone call. That hum came from the phone company PBX which sends that tone when an off the hook is detected which tells the end user it is ready to receive ...as soon as you send that first digit of the phone number the PBX halts the tone once it recognizes that digit. More or less it's telling you everything is working and to dial your number, hence the "dial tone". When you got no dial tone, you were not connected to the PBX and your line is not working.

You asked.

**sheepish grin**
Thanks for that technical answer. Just seems like an outdated phrase to me. [emoji41]

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

navigator wrote:
MadCow wrote:

You asked.

**sheepish grin**
Thanks for that technical answer. Just seems like an outdated phrase to me. [emoji41]
So is "hang up" but we still use it.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

I miss spending summers with my grandparents way out in the country ( although we did live in the country , their farm was 17 miles south )
...drinking water out of the deep well in their back yard
.....sleeping in a goose down bed
.......drinking coffee au lait and cornbread breakfast every morning noon and night
Chasing black birds in the fields of tall grass, there were thousands of them everywhere
.....my grandmother singing to me while she gave my cousin and I our daily baths every evening
.....shooting grandpas .410 single shot shotgun....
going to church on Sunday mornings at St Patrick's on the big highway.......

And helping my Dad milk the jersey cow every morning of my youth
I miss my parents and my grandparents terribly
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

lonerider wrote:Drive-in movies. Cruising up and down the main boulevard on Saturday night. Watching the submarine races. Stopping at McDonald's for a 15cent burger. Nickel candy bars. Getting an eraser thrown at me by the nun for not paying attention. Sneaking my dad's 55 Buick out for a ride when he was at work and I was 14. Watching Ozzie and Harriet on a black and white TV. Riding downtown on the 'el train for a dime. And I miss my parents, they were good folks.

:smile:
Drive-in story.

Me and my girlfriend wanted to go see a new movie there, but didn't have enough for both of us as adults. She was young looking and only 4'10" anyway, so she took her makeup off and put her hair up in some silly-looking pigtails. Could easily pass for 12-ish.

So when we rolled to the ticket booth, I told the dude my sister was 12, got the under 13 half price.

Movie turned out to be pretty boring so halfway through we stopped watching and now we're focused on each other, goin' at it hard.

That same dude walked by, picking up trash on the lot. He saw us and did a double take and got the strangest look on his face... :eek: :lmao:

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »

Y'all a buncha old f'krs. :lolfall:

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

A buncha of tall old f'krs. :lmao: :XmasTree: :XmasTree: :putput: