Post by Skipper »

Actually this forum isn't even bad.

Are (our) is another one.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Re: Drivel

Post by MadCow »

My pet peeve word that irks me is irregardless.

The negative 'ir' and 'less' cancel each other out...how can that even be a word? But it is.

DRIVES ME NUCKIN FUTS!

:bang: :bang: :bang:
-DBTO

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

MadCow wrote:My pet peeve word that irks me is irregardless.

The negative 'ir' and 'less' cancel each other out...how can that even be a word? But it is.

DRIVES ME NUCKIN FUTS!

:bang: :bang: :bang:
You are correct, it doesn't make sense if you understand prefixes and suffixes and what they mean. It's redundant. But it is somehow an actual word. That doesn't mean you don't sound dumb using it. [emoji2]

One time I heard a black athlete say "Disirregardless" and my head nearly exploded.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

One of the things I hate is "these ones". Even the tv newspeople use the term.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

If you just own a motorcycle half the ones around see you as not at all normal! If you ride one,nut case! Jeff is nuts for sure just by reading his post! JFL ,are you even thinking any other way! Wally may be? Rest of board most likely!!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Is it Flammable or Inflammable?
either it flams or it doesn't. [emoji2]

The worst one is when they claim that they axed (asked) them.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

old time rider wrote:If you just own a motorcycle half the ones around see you as not at all normal! If you ride one,nut case! Jeff is nuts for sure just by reading his post! JFL ,are you even thinking any other way! Wally may be? Rest of board most likely!!
Been riding for 61 years, since age 14. I’d have to go back an awful long ways to be who I was at age 13 and try to understand the mind of a non rider. Too long ago, too many years as a rider to even go there, OTR, to even try to relate to what others think. Maybe they think we are nuts, but let me just put it this way...

Sometimes I feel like a nut (when not riding)
Sometimes I don’t (when I’m riding!)

[emoji106]
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Normal?
It's all relative.
What's normal for the spider, is chaos for the fly.
--Morticia Adams.
:cheers:

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

navigator wrote:Normal?
It's all relative.
What's normal for the spider, is chaos for the fly.
--Morticia Adams.
:cheers:
Yes, but what is normal for me matters most. I ride, for me that is totally normal. If that is chaos to someone else? They’re just nuts! [emoji106]
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

I don't know if the problem is as bad as I perceive it to be, but whenever I converse (not conversate dammit, that's not a word) with people under say 30 anymore in print, they seem to have absolutely no grip on the whole "their they're there" or "to too two" type things.

But I suspect a lot of it is not as bad as I think, it's just their reliance on talk-to-text and predictive word selection that picks the wrong form and just pukes it out there, and they don't notice or care.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

jeffcoslacker wrote:I don't know if the problem is as bad as I perceive it to be, but whenever I converse (not conversate dammit, that's not a word) with people under say 30 anymore in print, they seem to have absolutely no grip on the whole "their they're there" or "to too two" type things.

But I suspect a lot of it is not as bad as I think, it's just their reliance on talk-to-text and predictive word selection that picks the wrong form and just pukes it out there, and they don't notice or care.
I’m thinking that the problem for you is conversing with the owners of the ugly mug shots on your other thread, a thing of beauty that thread. Try conversing with normal folks instead of nut cases. :lolfall:
Signifying nothing”

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

RoadKing wrote: I’m thinking that the problem for you is conversing with the owners of the ugly mug shots on your other thread, a thing of beauty that thread.
See? You CLAIM that you don't wanna see it, and yet you looked anyway. Hmm. [emoji2]

It's like a train wreck, I tell ya. Nobody can resist.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

jeffcoslacker wrote:
RoadKing wrote: I’m thinking that the problem for you is conversing with the owners of the ugly mug shots on your other thread, a thing of beauty that thread.
See? You CLAIM that you don't wanna see it, and yet you looked anyway. Hmm. [emoji2]

Yeah, I clicked but had no idea the thread would yield a bunch of your local fellow citizens. Good grief!
Signifying nothing”

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

RoadKing wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote:

Yeah, I clicked but had no idea the thread would yield a bunch of your local fellow citizens. Good grief!
"I think I tried it once, but I didn't inhale...." :lmao:

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

jeffcoslacker wrote:
RoadKing wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote:

"I think I tried it once, but I didn't inhale...." :lmao:
Hell, I forgot to exhale!
Signifying nothing”

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Jeffco, maybe you are assuming "drivel" when the author meant dribble? Careful what you correct, you could be mistaken

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Tbeck wrote:Jeffco, maybe you are assuming "drivel" when the author meant dribble? Careful what you correct, you could be mistaken
Maybe he needs to read the author sloooooowly? :lolfall:
Signifying nothing”

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Tbeck wrote:Jeffco, maybe you are assuming "drivel" when the author meant dribble? Careful what you correct, you could be mistaken
No, I don't think so. When one makes pronouncements like "sick of reading your dribble" or whatever, they just were unaware of the word that is used in that context. As I said, one gets directly to the point (silly or idiotic statements), where the other, like the death "nail" has a kind of vague imagery that makes people assume that was the word they'd heard used in that context, because it created a mental picture that worked for them. So yeah, it could make you imagine some drooling idiot making inane statements or something. Because it works for one doesn't make it correct, however, and it cheapens the insult you were going for when you use it incorrectly.

Like I said, there's a huge list of commonly used expressions that are used incorrectly, most of them because we heard it as a kid and didn't recognize the words used, and went with what made sense to us. There's no shame in that. Just don't get aggravated when offered some insight into the error.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

jeffcoslacker wrote:
No, I don't think so. When one makes pronouncements like "sick of reading your dribble" or whatever, they just were unaware of the word that is used in that context. As I said, one gets directly to the point (silly or idiotic statements), where the other, like the death "nail" has a kind of vague imagery that makes people assume that was the word they'd heard used in that context, because it created a mental picture that worked for them. So yeah, it could make you imagine some drooling idiot making inane statements or something. Because it works for one doesn't make it correct, however, and it cheapens the insult you were going for when you use it incorrectly.

Like I said, there's a huge list of commonly used expressions that are used incorrectly, most of them because we heard it as a kid and didn't recognize the words used, and went with what made sense to us. There's no shame in that. Just don't get aggravated when offered some insight into the error.
As a kid I heard Grandpa speak Sicilian in between bites of Grandma’s homemade noodles. Didn’t notice any dribble.
Signifying nothing”

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Jeffco, in your example both "drivel" and "dribble" are applicable. You may "prefer" drivel, but that doesn't mean dribble is incorrect. Just saying!