Re: Drivel

Post by Tbeck »

The nonsense dribbled out of his mouth like crap from a gooses butt

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Tbeck wrote:Jeffco, in your example both "drivel" and "dribble" are applicable. You may "prefer" drivel, but that doesn't mean dribble is incorrect. Just saying!
Because you say so. Got it. As always. Thanks! [emoji106]

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

Tbeck wrote:Jeffco, in your example both "drivel" and "dribble" are applicable. You may "prefer" drivel, but that doesn't mean dribble is incorrect. Just saying!
In other words, it’s possible for someone to both drivel and dribble at the same time? If so, would that be considered a double dribble?
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Definition of dribble
dribbled; dribbling play \-(ə-)liŋ\
transitive verb
1 : to issue sporadically and in small bits
2 : to let or cause to fall in drops little by little
3 a : to propel by successive slight taps or bounces with hand, foot, or stick

dribble a basketball

dribble a puck

b : to hit (a ball) without much force so that it bounces slowly along the ground
intransitive verb
1 : to fall or flow in drops or in a thin intermittent stream : trickle
2 : to let saliva trickle from the corner of the mouth : drool
3 : to come or issue in piecemeal or desultory fashion
4 a : to dribble a ball or puck
b : to proceed by dribbling
c of a ball : to move with short bounces

It's a stretch, but if you were using it to indicate a broken flow of ideas being issued slowly a bit at a time, you could conceivably use dribble, in that instance. Otherwise, no dice.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Tbeck wrote:The nonsense dribbled out of his mouth like crap from a gooses butt
This is a viable example, but you quantified with a second statement. That's the difference.

See when I see it used here, it's always "dribble" that is the descriptor. "I'm sick of your dribble" or "nobody wants to read your dribble" etc.

You used it above as a verb to describe what the nonsense is doing. That's a completely different concept than the usage I'm talking about here. The common misuse is to use the word "dribble" as the noun to stand in place of the implied "nonsense". I've never seen anyone make a statement using it as you did above.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

jeffcoslacker wrote:
This is a viable example, but you quantified with a second statement. That's the difference.
And so that too is a double dribble infraction.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

wally w
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 1987 VS700

Post by wally w »

As Mr. D. Duck would say " what a bunch maroons"

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

RoadKing wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote:
And so that too is a double dribble infraction.
If it pleases you, yes. :bow:

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

wally w wrote:As Mr. D. Duck would say " what a bunch maroons"
I agree. The drivel that dribbles from these quacks is M. Mouse.
Signifying nothing”

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

Reminds me of my last trip to the dentist. Got home with my mouth all numbed up and I tried to eat soup.
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

JFL Live wrote:

Reminds me of my last trip to the dentist. Got home with my mouth all numbed up and I tried to eat soup.
Should have used your bat teeth! Don’t tell me the dentist yanked them! :eek:

Ya know, that begs the question... is BatMan, I mean are YOU a vampire? :eek:
Signifying nothing”

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

I heard a guy on TV the other day refer to child sexual offenders as PREVERTS (at least that is how he pronounced it).

Oh and he had a THICK IN THE HEAD southern, uneducated, poor white trash vibe about him. Go figure.
-DBTO

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

When I was a kid a bunch of kids used to pronounce a certain VD as Gungeria.
Signifying nothing”

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

I have never driveled a basketball.
But I have been called a fargin' sneaky bastage, a lousy corksoaker, icehole, and a dirty son-a-ma-batch.......Once.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

navigator wrote:I have never driveled a basketball.
But I have been called a fargin' sneaky bastage, a lousy corksoaker, icehole, and a dirty son-a-ma-batch.......Once.
Well I'll be a son-of-a-pitch me out a hotel winder!
-DBTO

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

:funnylast: :funnylast: :funnylast:
RoadKing wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote:I don't know if the problem is as bad as I perceive it to be, but whenever I converse (not conversate dammit, that's not a word) with people under say 30 anymore in print, they seem to have absolutely no grip on the whole "their they're there" or "to too two" type things.

But I suspect a lot of it is not as bad as I think, it's just their reliance on talk-to-text and predictive word selection that picks the wrong form and just pukes it out there, and they don't notice or care.
I’m thinking that the problem for you is conversing with the owners of the ugly mug shots on your other thread, a thing of beauty that thread. Try conversing with normal folks instead of nut cases. :lolfall:
We do like you Jeff....You are special! :eek: :lmao:

wally w
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 1987 VS700

Post by wally w »

Let me axe you a question. Where can I get some magnolium I want to make my lawnmower lighter so it be easier to push.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

I think one of my pet peeves is when people write where instead of were? It happens a lot more than you would think it should. I even responded to one guy who said a college football kneeler used an eighth grade level education but the flamer used the word know in place of known and spelled football as foot ball. I then asked him if he was getting out of the eighth grade next year? :lolfall:

I may use the wrong word or misspell a word now and then, but you have to remember the last year I was in school was 1969. So I have forgotten more those most of this young whipper snappers have known. :lolfall:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

I think that a lot of stuff we see on the net gets auto-filled and the author of said posts just didn't check before submitting.
Some is just bad spelling, but to be honest I don't proof before submitting. If I am posting on the net it's play time and I can't be bothered to check.
I also assume that when I see errors in someone else's post's, it's the same. Who hasn't misspelled something, right...

lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by lonerider »

Verbal misusages are one thing, but written ones are another, and they are a direct result of using abbreviations via texting which are becoming more and more common, one example of such is using numbers for words, ie, the number "2" for "to" or "too", or the number "4" for "for". Another example is using one letter in place of a word, like "C" for "see", or "U" for "you.' I don't doubt that this new "shorthand" will become the norm, and the old norm will be ... simply, wrong.