RUDE AWAKENING THIS AM WE HAVE SNOW

Keep it civil
BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Re: RUDE AWAKENING THIS AM WE HAVE SNOW

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Actually, I think he has a point. Why can't every house have it's transformer put under ground? The power people put it on a pole. ;IDunno: [space] :OhNo; [space] :XmasTree:
Oh and there are some housing additions that have the power boxes on the ground so they don't have overhead wires. :blink:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:Actually, I think he has a point. Why can't every house have it's transformer put under ground? The power people put it on a pole. ;IDunno: [space] :OhNo; [space] :XmasTree:
Oh and there are some housing additions that have the power boxes on the ground so they don't have overhead wires. :blink:
How much are you willing to pay extra in a power bill or taxes to get all the lines underground?

Not only that but it isn't all that great an idea for flood-prone areas. It costs about 5 times as much as overhead, is harder and more expensive to repair, and requires special permits and EPA studies for rural areas.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/14/us/underg ... index.html

"After a 2002 snow storm left about 2 million customers in North Carolina without electricity, a disaster preparedness task force studied the option of undergrounding the state's entire power distribution system.
Replacing overhead lines, the task force found, would take a quarter century and $41 billion, increasing average residential customer bills by 125%. Though less likely to fail in a snowstorm, routine repairs to buried lines would take as much as 60% longer, since problem areas are harder to find and the work requires digging equipment.
Ultimately, the task force opposed converting the state's entire system but urged utilities to research isolated pockets where undergrounding might be cost-effective."

Edit: I forgot to add that transformers on poles are much cheaper because on/in the ground they require specialized cooling systems. They are also much easier to replace than those on the ground.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

"It's very handy to say, 'Let the utility pay for it.' But what people forget is that utilities don't pay for anything,"
"It's the customers that pay for the expenses."
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Herb wrote:Freddie has no idea about the size of the USA.

Thailand isn't even as big as Texas and it's people are much closer together, it's population is better than twice what Texas is. The USA is more than 19 times the size of Thailand. the distances in the USA are so much more than the little country he is used to, he can't comprehend it.

Again our geographically challenged, brain damaged, leftist is showing his ignorance.
I shall repeat again for poor old herb. I said Uk has been underground 60 years or more . I also said that Thailand are Now moving to underground. I don't have underground yet where I am.

Flooding makes no difference, it is armored wiring that lasts for year not just some cotton bound twin.

The point is to embrace technology when you have it. Transformers never blo when housed in a dry shed and feeds houses underground.

I have never ever seen power go off in UK.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Fred wrote:
I also said that Thailand are Now moving to underground. I don't have underground yet where I am.
SOooo, :shock: :shock: You still have power transformers up sticks in the street in Thailand?
:lmao:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:
navigator wrote:Congrats!!, you just had what we call a dusting. :cheers:

What you call dusting is just about all we can take [emoji2] ....21,000 households were without electricity for the better part of 12 hours...
They are never prepared for emergencies such as these....most of the power outages were from limbs of trees breaking off and causing power lines to snap or in our case to pull down the whole pole with the transformer laying on the ground.......took them 24 hours to repair..
And as always..hospitals, fire stations and police stations are attended to first less chaos erupts.......all those agencies have emergency generators for back up but it's never as good as the real thing....
I was trying to figure out why 2 inches of snow would cause so much power problems. I guess that makes sense. Your trees are not used to any extra weight. I shudder to think what would happen there if you ever got anything like the good ol' midwest ice storm. :eek: You'd all be in the dark ages forever [emoji2]

There was one here years ago that pretty much wrecked every tree. Power was out for two weeks. Even years after you could still see the asymmetry in all the big trees, and in places still heaps and rows everywhere of broken limbs stacked as high as a loader can reach, waiting to be burned.

That was like 3/4' of ice I think. But even a 1/8th coating makes things happen. It's kinda cool. The weather the next day is always clear and brightly sunny. You look outside and it looks like a crystal kingdom, everything coated and throwing prismatic rainbows in the sun. Usually very quiet, but occasionally a crack, followed by a cascading shattering noise, and if you're lucky you get the witness the branch falling and the shower of sparkly ice fragments. It's surreal. Very destructive, but beautiful...

This dude caught a lotta limbs falling. The sound here in the country is better though. It sounds like a gunshot followed by glass breaking.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

navigator wrote:
Fred wrote:
I also said that Thailand are Now moving to underground. I don't have underground yet where I am.
SOooo, :shock: :shock: You still have power transformers up sticks in the street in Thailand?

YES I SAID THAT WE DON'T --NOT YET FULLY. But my elecy bill is 30 dollars per month and that is 240 elecs per minute not 110.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Fred wrote:
navigator wrote:
Fred wrote:

YES I SAID THAT WE DON'T --NOT YET FULLY. But my elecy bill is 30 dollars per month.
So is mine, and my feed is underground.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

navigator wrote:
Fred wrote:
navigator wrote:
Fred wrote:

YES I SAID THAT WE DON'T --NOT YET FULLY. But my elecy bill is 30 dollars per month.
Ohh you are so lucky --many people will be very envious of you.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Fred wrote:
navigator wrote:
Fred wrote:
navigator wrote:
Fred wrote:

I appreciate your envy.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

navigator wrote:
Fred wrote:
navigator wrote:
Fred wrote:
navigator wrote:
Fred wrote:

I appreciate your envy.
Yes all those poor people in USA and Afganistan that have to run out and cover up elecy bits when it rains. Terrible.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Fred wrote:
navigator wrote:
Fred wrote:
navigator wrote:
Fred wrote:
navigator wrote:
Fred wrote:

I appreciate your envy.
Yes all those poor people in USA and Afganistan that have to run out and cover up elecy bits when it rains. Terrible.
You are so misinformed. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Fred wrote: I have never ever seen power go off in UK.
1. Power outages see big jump in UK shows research Antony Savvas (April 21, 2016, 5:04 pm

The number of power outages in the UK rose dramatically last year, resulting in widespread productivity losses across industry.
The latest Blackout Tracker report, from power management company Eaton, says there were 640 outages in 2015, a marked increase on the 537 incidents recorded in 2014.
The report also found that a total of 2,564,827 people were affected by the outages, which lasted for an average of 50 minutes.
The statistics in the Blackout Tracker highlight the problem of unreliable electricity supply at a time when the UK’s ageing energy infrastructure is coming under increasing pressure.
United Kingdom: Power outages in Wales June 6

Moreover, strong winds and heavy rain have resulted in power outages. Some 450 homes lost power overnight June 5-6 in Monmouthshire county. Outages have also been reported in Rhondda Cynon Taff, Caerphilly, Newport, and Powys counties.

2. Power Outage – Europe – United Kingdom 2012/04/05

North London had a major power cut on Thursday afternoon. "Supplies were initially lost to 88,000 customers at 3.11pm," UK Power Networks said in a statement. "Power supplies to 19,000 customers were restored within three minutes, to another 38,000 customers by 3.34pm and to another 20,000 by 3.57pm, so 80,000 customers had power restored within 46 minutes. The final supplies were restored at 4.21pm and we are working with the emergency services on site." Twitter was flooded with reports of power outages across the capital

3. Storm Angus Slams United Kingdom with Flooding, Power Outages November 21 2016

4. Major power outage incidents to UK grid
4a. August 2003 incident
The first case was in 2003, and related to the condition of National Grid's assets. National Grid was implicated in a power cut affecting 10 per cent of London in August – see 2003 London blackout
4b. May 2008 incident
What happened first, was that two of Britain's largest power stations, Longannet in Fife and Sizewell B in Suffolk, shut down unexpectedly ('tripped') within five minutes of one another

A More Reliable U.S. Electric System

5. The average U.S. customer loses power for 114 minutes per year. That compares to 70 in the United Kingdom, 53 in France, 29 in the Netherlands

[emoji41]

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Designer wrote:
1. Power outages see big jump in UK shows research Antony Savvas (April 21, 2016, 5:04 pm

The number of power outages in the UK rose dramatically last year, resulting in widespread productivity losses across industry.
The latest Blackout Tracker report, from power management company Eaton, says there were 640 outages in 2015, a marked increase on the 537 incidents recorded in 2014.
The report also found that a total of 2,564,827 people were affected by the outages, which lasted for an average of 50 minutes.
The statistics in the Blackout Tracker highlight the problem of unreliable electricity supply at a time when the UK’s ageing energy infrastructure is coming under increasing pressure.
United Kingdom: Power outages in Wales June 6

Moreover, strong winds and heavy rain have resulted in power outages. Some 450 homes lost power overnight June 5-6 in Monmouthshire county. Outages have also been reported in Rhondda Cynon Taff, Caerphilly, Newport, and Powys counties.

2. Power Outage – Europe – United Kingdom 2012/04/05

North London had a major power cut on Thursday afternoon. "Supplies were initially lost to 88,000 customers at 3.11pm," UK Power Networks said in a statement. "Power supplies to 19,000 customers were restored within three minutes, to another 38,000 customers by 3.34pm and to another 20,000 by 3.57pm, so 80,000 customers had power restored within 46 minutes. The final supplies were restored at 4.21pm and we are working with the emergency services on site." Twitter was flooded with reports of power outages across the capital

3. Storm Angus Slams United Kingdom with Flooding, Power Outages November 21 2016

4. Major power outage incidents to UK grid
4a. August 2003 incident
The first case was in 2003, and related to the condition of National Grid's assets. National Grid was implicated in a power cut affecting 10 per cent of London in August – see 2003 London blackout
4b. May 2008 incident
What happened first, was that two of Britain's largest power stations, Longannet in Fife and Sizewell B in Suffolk, shut down unexpectedly ('tripped') within five minutes of one another

A More Reliable U.S. Electric System

5. The average U.S. customer loses power for 114 minutes per year. That compares to 70 in the United Kingdom, 53 in France, 29 in the Netherlands

[emoji41]

Edwena---watch my lips very carefully,----"I have never seen power go off in UK" There,-- did you get it that time.

Now go away and do some more cut and paste that no one gives a shit about.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

As I said, you are so misinformed.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

navigator wrote:
Thank you for your picture . Im not sure if it came out right --it seems to be a hole on the sand and some one has left you a PM

You are entitled to your opinion and thankfully that is all it is.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Fred wrote:
navigator wrote:
Thank you for your picture . Im not sure if it came out right --it seems to be a hole on the sand and some one has left you a PM
You are entitled to your opinion and thankfully that is all it is.

Nope! What Navigator said isn't "opinion"....it is Spot On FACT!

You ARE so misinformed. [emoji2] And here's a partial list that PROVES he is Right:

TABLE-UK power station outages

Reuters Staff
Oct 31 (Reuters) - The following table lists current outages at Britain's larger power
stations. Data is sourced from a National Grid website (http://www.bmreports.com)

CURRENT OUTAGES
PLANT CAPACITY DURATION OWNER TYPE
Dungeness B21 555 Sept 22-? B.Energy nuclear
Hartlepool 1 605 Sept 23-? B.Energy nuclear
Hartlepool 2 605 Sept 21-? B.Energy nuclear
Hinkley Point B7 610 Sept 22-? B.Energy nuclear
Hinkley Point B8 610 Oct 19-? B.Energy nuclear
Hunterston B7 600 July 17-? B.Energy nuclear
Hunterston B8 600 Oct 20-? B.Energy nuclear
Wylfa 4 250 July 29-? BNFL nuclear
Connah's Quay 1 345 Oct 13-? E.ON UK gas
Damhead Creek 825 Oct 18-? Scot Power gas
Didcot A1 485 May 19-? RWE coal
Didcot A3 485 Aug 18-? RWE coal
Fiddlers Ferry 1 485 March 31-? SSE coal
Ironbridge 1 500 Oct 30-? E.ON UK coal

:lmao: [space] [emoji41]

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

I really hate to stick up for Fred, but none of the info that has been posted proves HE has ever saw a power outage in the UK. Big difference from him seeing a power outage and there being a power outage. :bonk:

Oklahoma has it's share of ice storms every year, I just hope I have moved to an area that doesn't have any. :OhNo;

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:I really hate to stick up for Fred, but none of the info that has been posted proves HE has ever saw a power outage in the UK. Big difference from him seeing a power outage and there being a power outage. :bonk:

Oklahoma has it's share of ice storms every year, I just hope I have moved to an area that doesn't have any. :OhNo;
That what Im trying to tell them,--- hard work init.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

You just have to overlook some things in life. :lolfall: