RUDE AWAKENING THIS AM WE HAVE SNOW

Keep it civil
Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

RUDE AWAKENING THIS AM WE HAVE SNOW

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

This morning bright and early at 4:15 am a loud sound woke me up...it was the transformer on the power line about a block away blowing it's top....
Then our electricity went out.....Knew right away this was bad news..
.heading to bed last night there was a slight prediction of snow flurries for the early morning hours for our area.....again our super intelligent weather guru missed it .......we awoke to this scene at 4:30 am this morning...
it was really coming down....now before you Yankees jump into this thread..please be advised that we see the white stuff in limited editions about every 8 to 10 years.....and usually not in early December for Pete's sake :eek: :eek: This is an oddity for us southern folks
it finally stopped snowing about a half hour ago and coincided with the electricity coming back on.....

My fig tree has only seen this kind of weather twice since we've been here in 1997

According to the national weather service we received 2.1 inches....making this the snowiest December on record.
No bad considering we are situated just 40 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico

we usually do not run our electric heating unit at night depending on our free standing fireplace in the den to warm our home enough for a near comfortable sleep.......... got that fire box lit up like a Christmas tree right now... [emoji106]

It's melting rather quickly now but most likely will not see any appreciable sunshine today so some will linger around overnight
We have a ride tomorrow but the temps gonna be in the high 20's come sunup ..it's gonna be a hard decision for me whether to go or not .. :confused:
.it's been raining for the last 3 days straight and this cabin fever is about to take hold of me ....

You'll stay warm ya hear!
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Re: RUDE AWAKENING THIS AM WE HAVE SNOW

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

That's odd, we didn't get any of that stuff and we missed the rain also. :clap: [space] :lolfall: Stay warn Johnny. [emoji106]
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

It was moisture coming out of Mexico from the Pacific ocean....stayed mostly in the south from Brownsville , TX to South Carolina
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by lonerider »

Haven't seen snow in more than 40 years. When we moved South my number one wish was to live where it never snowed, and we succeeded!

But I do have sympathy for y'all, and have seen more than my share of winter for the first 34 years of my life.

Cheers. :cheers: From somewhere south of Georgia.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Congrats!!, you just had what we call a dusting. :cheers:

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

San Antonio got 2.5” officially. Same thing here. There were major power outages all over town. We got home from my wife’s company holiday party about 9 last night and we were noticing the lights in the neighborhood were out. Well they finally got our neighborhood’s power back on about noon today. The snow was a nice treat, but nothing like the record 13.5” we got back in 1985!
Arthritis sucks!

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

DO THEY MAKE SNOW TIRES AND CHAINS FOR HD'S ....
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

HARRIS wrote:DO THEY MAKE SNOW TIRES AND CHAINS FOR HD'S ....
Sure do...but it's a bitch putting them on and taking them off [emoji106]

Didn't have any appreciable rain fall last night so the roadways should be clear and dry enough so our snow chains to work properly :lmao: :lmao:

It's 30* out now........37* by our 9 am departure time and 50* by noon....

high of 56* by 3 o clock......we'll be on the way home by then..

Dressing in layers and leaving two compartments...one saddle bag and the trunk open for extra clothes I'll be peeling off as the temps warm up

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

navigator wrote:Congrats!!, you just had what we call a dusting. :cheers:

What you call dusting is just about all we can take [emoji2] ....21,000 households were without electricity for the better part of 12 hours...
They are never prepared for emergencies such as these....most of the power outages were from limbs of trees breaking off and causing power lines to snap or in our case to pull down the whole pole with the transformer laying on the ground.......took them 24 hours to repair..
And as always..hospitals, fire stations and police stations are attended to first less chaos erupts.......all those agencies have emergency generators for back up but it's never as good as the real thing....

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

We are having a couple inches....not gonna slow anyone around here down. I gotta go to Walgreens and get my meds, and I might do some Bdubs this evening!

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

When I was staying with my brother at Fort Detrick in Frederick, Md one winter night it snowed and he tried to take my pickup to work at the Pentagon the next day and never got it out of the parking lot. He even got the truck hot from all the wheel spinning he did. After he told me what he did I had to tell him he would have never made it since the rear was so light. :bonk: I guess he figured that out when he couldn't get it out of the parking lot. :lolfall: [space] :XmasTree:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

10 degrees on my ride to Danville this AM. Stopped at motorcycle shop on way back as Santa was taking pics with kids and love to watch the face panting and ones brave enough take a pic with Santa. Three of my riding friends from 80s and 90s got to see with grandkids. One still big in to speed with old street rods and see him some at meets.He broke his back way back and had to give up bikes but when we had drag bikes he got his hopped up 83 GS1100 in to the 9s.Thats still fast. One of the others still rides but most with his wife. Lots of miles through the years and made a lot of good friends. Luck was with me and first of snow did not come till after 11AM when I rolled in on the bike.32 high called for but its not going to make it. May get a inch or less so if no ice will not be bad. :putput:

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

navigator wrote:Congrats!!, you just had what we call a dusting. :cheers:
Yup we got the same here.
-DBTO

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

We got a couple or three inches. When I lived in Ft Walton FL we got snow once. Guess you're not safe anywhere from the White stuff.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Well the colder temps didn't deter at least five of us......we call ourselves the Polar Bear Club...left out about 9 am with the temps in the high 20's headed for a city some 100 miles southeast....took the long way going and an even longer route coming back home adding an extra 87 miles to the mix....stiff north wind to begin with and clear and sunny skies all day long...

Leader of the ride suggested we head north and check out the new '18 Harley's at the Harley dealership in Lafayette, La...Cajun Harley... and we weren't disappointed...they have a large show room with new and used bikes and every model available...
I found my next bike...but the war department informed me that I would have to wait at least two more years before I could purchase another one
By that time the bike I was looking at , a blacked out Street Glide, was most likely gonna be on the used block at at reduced price...this one was priced at 25K Street Glide Special

by the time we decided to head home I had removed my chaps but kept my leather jacket on for the cool ride home..
All in all a very good ride and what some might call a brisk pace..I say 60% of the ride was on two lane back roads. the least amount of traffic is what we look for.. but we took the interstate coming home.....much quicker and it was getting late in the day and we didn't want to fight looking directly in the sun going home.....

as an after thought.....we didn't encounter one single bike on the road until we pulled into the Harley dealership in Lafayette....strange...met a few on the way home though.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Lots of slick roads last night made for 100 wrecks around Lexington,Ky.. WC still low but sun in and out last few hours and roads back to wet now with 37 called for.Never got to 32 yesterday here but low 40s Monday called for with cold again next day then up and down till end of week. I hate winter the older I become. Think its the BP meds making me colder more than any thing. :putput:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

The good news is...

Digger
Learning My Moped
My Bike: Road Star

Post by Digger »

Here in Ontario Canada we just got enough to put a light cover on the driveway and it started to melt away in the afternoon. Supposed to get 2 inches late Monday but that's normal here and there won't be any power outages or stuck vehicles. Our snowplows and street salters are ready to roll. Buffalo usually takes the biggest hit when it comes to snow in our area. They get a lot of lake effect from Lake Erie and with us being north of that we generally only get about a quarter of what they do. Last I heard they were expecting 6 to 12 inches this weekend.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

[quote="Suzuki Johnny"]This morning bright and early at 4:15 am a loud sound woke me up...it was the transformer on the power line about a block away blowing it's top....
Then our electricity went out.....Knew right away this was bad news..comfortable sleep.......... got that fire box lit up like a Christmas tree right now... [emoji106] quote]

:shock: :shock: You still have power transformers up sticks in the street in USA. Uk has been underground 60 years. Even here in Thailand they are moving underground.

Thats just a house with some wires going to it for your supply Geeeezus :blink:

Im shocked that the mighty USA don't even have a safe power supply.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Freddie has no idea about the size of the USA.

Thailand isn't even as big as Texas and it's people are much closer together, it's population is better than twice what Texas is. The USA is more than 19 times the size of Thailand. the distances in the USA are so much more than the little country he is used to, he can't comprehend it.

Again our geographically challenged, brain damaged, leftist is showing his ignorance.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.