Home Depot Panics Over Millennials; Forced To Host Tutorials On Using Tape Measures, Hammering Nails

Keep it civil
lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Re: Home Depot Panics Over Millennials; Forced To Host Tutorials On Using Tape Measures, Hammering Nails

Post by lonerider »

I attended a college prep HS and took courses like Latin, Physics, Chem, Calc, Theology, Logic, and Public Speaking, but didn't really learn how to use my hands or earn a living until I quit and joined the service where I got a start in Data Processing (Info Tech) and computer programming. I learned more useful stuff in 6 mo. than in all prior years of formal schooling. :smile:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Re: Home Depot Panics Over Millennials; Forced To Host Tutorials On Using Tape Measures, Hammering Nails

Post by Tbeck »

No Frank I got it, but we ALL do it.
Lonerider hit it on the head. We send kid's to school for foundational education and both parents work these days, kid's are involved in all kinds of school related activities, and mom/dad are either working or too sacked out by the weekend to do much life stuff with them.
It's a completely different society we live in today as compared to the one many of us grew up in. How that happened I can not say, but it did.
So we have young adults that use YouTube in order to undertake a task. No real need to "learn" it because they can watch it anytime they need it. Pretty smart when you think about it. They are using the tools as tools are intended.

Yooper
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: VN2000 Kaw

Post by Yooper »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:I could have just joined the Army and let them take care of me.
I may or may not see your problem. Why would you expect anyone to take care of you?

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Youtube is a great resource for self education, the trick is to want to be educated.
I'm 65 yo and still find valuable information on the Tube.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »

Tbeck wrote: It's a completely different society we live in today as compared to the one many of us grew up in. How that happened I can not say, but it did. So we have young adults that use [the internet] in order to undertake a task. No real need to "learn" it because they can [access] it anytime they need. Pretty smart when you think about it. They are using the tools as tools are intended.
Lechy wrote: Youtube is a great resource for self education, the trick is to want to be educated. I'm 65 yo and still find valuable information on the Tube.
[emoji106] I like to call it 'The Google Brain'.

When we were young, we had to turn to others in our own sphere, and books of course, for information. We didn't know how limiting that was. The internet is merely a searchable repository of our collective knowledge (information), and we now have instant access to it. Need brain surgery? Give me about 10-20 minutes, and I'll be ready to operate. How to build a deck? Yeah, here's the plans right here. We don't need to retain every little thing anymore, as we can access what we want to know/recall anytime we want, from the Great Database in the cloud. It's all good.

There was a scene in an episode of Louis C.K.'s television series, 'LOUIE' where he took his young daughter to a live (historical) play in a local theatre. During the play, Dad noticed his daughter using her smart phone on occasion, so when they were walking home he started berating her for doing that instead of paying attention. She had to defend herself by showing him that she had in fact been accessing more information about what was happening on stage, and was able to give her Dad a better understanding of what he had just watched.

The message of that scene was not lost on me.

My Grandson Nick and his posse of 4 or 5 would come over to Grampa's house when they were young teens. I had computers they could use, and of course they all had their own devices. As an old guy, I marveled at the ease, and the speed, of their ability to communicate which each other, and their friends online. Like LOUIE, I thought they weren't paying attention, like if I was telling/showing them something. It took me a while to realize they were capable of ingesting and understanding waaay faster than I was able to offer whatever it was I was trying to say...

Bottom line... the kids are fine. [emoji2]

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

KNOWING " OF " IS NOT THE SAME AS " HOW TO " AND " DID THAT "

SOMETIMES BEFORE I DO A PROCEDURE, AND THE PATIENT IS VERY ANXIOUS, I CALM THEM DOWN BY TELLING THAT I JUST BEFORE, I LOOKED IT UP ON U-TUBE ....

AND THEY FEEL SO RELIEVED !
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Harris, DON'T SHOUT.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »

HARRIS wrote: KNOWING " OF " IS NOT THE SAME AS " HOW TO " AND " DID THAT "
SOMETIMES BEFORE I DO A PROCEDURE, AND THE PATIENT IS VERY ANXIOUS, I CALM THEM DOWN BY TELLING THAT I JUST BEFORE, I LOOKED IT UP ON U-TUBE ....
AND THEY FEEL SO RELIEVED !
:lolfall: No really! I can do it! ok... Google... "How to use scalpel" ...

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Are you going in practice or practice as you go? :lmao: