Picked up a 2006 V-strom

Keep it civil
DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

Picked up a 2006 V-strom

Post by DevilsFan »

Have been looking for the adventure bikes lately. I talked to the Honda dealer about a trade on the CTX and a new NC700. Screw them! They wouldn't budge on price at all...and it was a 2015 model!

So, searching CL I found this for cheap:

Rode it home late Monday night. It handles really well. Took a day off on Wednesday, cleaned it up, gave it an oil change and clean and lubed the chain. Aired up the tires. Now it's on to riding it!

Although they are great Givi bags, they are way too big for this bike. Makes it look like I can float in water! The PO had two of them with the Givi Monokey side case and top case racks installed. I've been searching the internet for smaller Monokey cases so I don't have to replace the brackets. Not much to choose from but I think I'm going with the E22N's. They're the smallest, the cheapest and look more sporty.

I also have to lift it back up as the PO was very short and lowered it to the point I cannot use the center stand unless I put the rear tire up on a 2X4. It has adjustable dog bones so I'll change the setting out this weekend.

I joined the V-strom website and, wow! Many hard-core adventure riders! They take these things EVERYWHERE!!!
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Re: Picked up a 2006 V-strom

Post by MattSunn »

Best of luck with it. I like the fact that it has a second place to rest your feet.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Have fun! I really like my little 650.Its my tour bike since the wife does not go out of state any more.Call mine my ugly little pack mule. Take it to red line and you get some real good power for a motor this small and they love it! Mine has over 59,000 now. GaryPaul from the old board has one all so and all so took his to Alaska but may have not went all the way to DeadHorse? Have the front side bars on mine and throw a leg over them often on trips. Did a 900+ day on it at age 69 on way back from Colorado.Yours have a lower than stock seat?Image Load them down all you want they are so tough.Here is mine while still in U.S. on way up to DeadHorse. Three and a half weeks,camp,no chase and over 900 miles of the 10,300 were gravel.This is a 011 got new in 012. Its like yours and they changed the motor some in 012 and some more changes now. As with most suzuki stater is weak link.Mine got a new one around 40,000. First chain went 38,000! They look better dirty IMO. [emoji2] :putput:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Congrats! Don't forget the 3 month rule, get to know her well.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Tbeck wrote:Congrats! Don't forget the 3 month rule, get to know her well.

I thought it was a six month rule :blink: :blink: :rag:

And congrats on the bike...funny how dealers will not budge on sale prices even when the bike maybe two yeas old and still on the showroom floor... :bonk:
I remember working at the Suzuki shop and when a bike came up at 12 months on the floor the dealer put it for sale costs plus $100....
We never had more than a few left over years on the floor [emoji106]
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:
Tbeck wrote:Congrats! Don't forget the 3 month rule, get to know her well.

I thought it was a six month rule :blink: :blink: :rag:

And congrats on the bike...funny how dealers will not budge on sale prices even when the bike maybe two yeas old and still on the showroom floor... :bonk:
I remember working at the Suzuki shop and when a bike came up at 12 months on the floor the dealer put it for sale costs plus $100....
We never had more than a few left over years on the floor [emoji106]
When I bought my 87 1400, in 89, it was 2 years old, a leftover. I got the bike for over $1000 less than the 89 was selling for. Best buy I ever made.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

ZOOM ZOOM
-DBTO

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Post by tabasco »

Nice, enjoy!

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

SJ, nope 3 month :P
The vast majority of fatal mc accidents occur within the first 3 months of acquiring. Doesn't matter how many miles the bike gets ridden or if it's the same make/model as your previous bike.

PS I stated "vast majority" because I don't recall the exact percentage, and we know how test some get. But I believe that it was in the 80-90% range, very high