I missed the SUN?

Keep it civil
n-trude
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: Honda GW Trike

I missed the SUN?

Post by n-trude »

OK I was in the Dr. office, taking a nuke test, on my heart.
I use the time to steal all the tongue depressors I could find. :lmao:
While the nurses were out looking at no Sun....

I did see it go dark from the window, while I waited. :rock:

I told the nurse I would see the next one, not knowing when that was.
Now I find out its 7 years, on a Monday. :lmao:

Where were you?

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club
My Bike: SUZUKI

Re: I missed the SUN?

Post by franktiregod »

Pumping gas at a Chevron station in Covington, Ga.

Emu and several others were meeting in north Georgia and I thought about riding up until I heard the traffic reports. Then a friend called and had a plumbing leak so I went over to fix that. He and his son were still looking at it when I got there.

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

Repairing an A/C unit with my son. He goes back to school Monday and has been giving me a hand. I have an auto darkening welder's helmet that goes to shade 13 which exceeds the minimum shade 12 they said you could safely view the eclipse with. We took turns looking at it but we only got 60 or so percent coverage here in San Antonio.
Arthritis sucks!

PCC
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: GW TRIKE + 1300 Yamaha V Star

Post by PCC »

I was at the local Lowes getting a new light fixture. Everyone was outside watching. One of the employees offered me her special glasses to see the solar eclipse.
The lights came on in the parking lot but it never really got that dark. It is amazing how much light was still there with 96% coverage.
Not all that impressed... I 've seen darker days with some of the storms here lately.
Read My Daily Musings On Numerous Topics
Especially Riding Motorcycles & Camera Captures
Of My Meanderings...

https://pcove99.wixsite.com/website

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

Spent the day painting fences. Didn't notice a thing about this almighty important event. Lots of shade trees out back, frequent cumulus clouds hiding the sun, plus I had no idea just when the event was to occur locally. Guess I just didn't care all that much. Besides, my pups laying contentedly nearby in the shade as I applied stain to the fence was for me sufficient to the day.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

wally w
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 1987 VS700

Post by wally w »

In the back yard sitting in a lawn chair. The eclipse here lasted about 2 minutes or so.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Stood in the yard waiting for something to happen that never did. :bang: I got a question... if the sun rises in the east and it is still dark on the west coast why did the eclipse go from the west coast towards the east? And did the moon move across the sun or did the sun move behind the moon? Which one was the faster moving of the two? :Umm: [space] ;IDunno:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:Stood in the yard waiting for something to happen that never did. :bang: I got a question... if the sun rises in the east and it is still dark on the west coast why did the eclipse go from the west coast towards the east? And did the moon move across the sun or did the sun move behind the moon? Which one was the faster moving of the two? :Umm: [space] ;IDunno:
You know if you ask too many questions like this, you'll get a visit...

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

All I know is if you don't know something you ask questions. :blink:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by lonerider »

Don't think an eclipse will do anything to improve my life or anyone else's, so in general just ignored this non-event.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:All I know is if you don't know something you ask questions. :blink:
I could explain it, but it's one of those things that for most people (including myself), hearing it described leaves you more confused than before...but once you SEE it in action, with all the moving pieces in motion relative to each other, it makes perfect sense.

Earth rotation, the Moon's rotation around Earth, and the apparent position of the Sun relative to all of it makes the eclipse shadow move in a way that doesn't seem intuitive unless you step back and get the big picture...there's a few online planetarium simulations that might have an eclipse scenario in them that show this...if I can find one I'll point you that way [emoji106]

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

This is a great animation, but still not as stand-back and see it all as I'd like to find...because you still have to understand your position here, relative to all...you are looking down at Earth, from a fixed (geostationary) position, so you don't see Earth turning, only the shadow of night going around as the Earth spins and changes face to the Sun, which is very far away. The Moon is behind you, orbiting Earth, and you are seeing the shadow as it transits the face of the Earth while passing between the two...