Tornado warning

Keep it civil
RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Tornado warning

Post by RoadKing »

Not a regular thing here in Upstate, but for the next hour we have been warned. Am I worried? Yep.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Re: Tornado warning

Post by Forge »

Is your bike safe?
Arthritis sucks!

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Never understood people getting worried about stuff like that.

You can't do anything about it.

If it's your time, you gonna go, if not, you're not.

Severe weather is exhilarating. Enjoy the show.

Of course I've always been one of those idiots that heads TOWARDS severe weather, before there was a word for it...no, not idiots...storm chasers... [emoji2]

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Been in enough of them to agree with jeffco.
RK we get those warnings here as well. Weather folk's love scaring folks by threatening bad weather

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

We get a couple a month here on the Gulf Coast almost every month of the year.........especially during the spring months
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

My dogs look to me for their safety. My son is here. Family and friends. But how could I protect them from a tornado? Worried me but thank God it came, it went, no tornado, no harm.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

I used to live in tornado alley, when I lived 7 miles east of Seminole, Ok. We had one come by at least once a year, sometimes more. I stood on my front porch and watched one go a couple of miles south of me one years. It hit the small town 6 miles east of me, didn't do a lot of damage thank goodness.
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:I used to live in tornado alley, when I lived 7 miles east of Seminole, Ok. We had one come by at least once a year, sometimes more. I stood on my front porch and watched one go a couple of miles south of me one years. It hit the small town 6 miles east of me, didn't do a lot of damage thank goodness.
I got run over by one in Spring of 2003. It was the one shown here in the lower left.

There was an unusual outbreak that Spring, that was a few days before that big one that mowed through Moore, OK. This was nothing like that, but was strong F1-F2 when we crossed paths.

I was watching the sky, pretty amazed by how fast conditions ahead were falling apart, driving the big truck west on I-70. It got really black and a mean shelf cloud developed...got hit with the outflow boundary, big blast of wind, sideways rain, ending in a quick spatter of maybe dime to nickel sized hail...then it stopped. No wind, no precip, and very, very dark.

Then I could feel a pressure change in my ears, and simultaneously the structure of the sleeper started making little cracking sounds, which stopped when I cracked a window...yup...big sudden pressure drop. Don't gotta tell me twice.

I jumped off the highway at the next exit, and found that the cross road's underpass was a nice narrow, 14' high, two vehicle wide and no more burm-type, perfect. I pulled in under there, there was another car in there, foot on the brake, hiding too...listening to the radio but it lost reception under there. Lady in the car got out and came back to the truck, asked if I needed her to move...I said no, doing same as you, I think, hiding from the weather. She asked me if a tornado comes, are we safe in here? I said I didn't know, but had to be better than out there. She went back to her car.

When it came, it hit quick...I watched the grass and brush bend flat to the ground, and pieces of unidentifiable debris went past...but big sheets of stuff. I watched in my mirrors as the trailer rocked back and forth...got more violent, wind screaming through that area under there...at one point I thought the top of the trailer might start banging the wall, it was rocking so bad...then it started to subside.

When the sun popped back out, she finally decided to go, and I followed. In order to keep going west I would have had to back out of there, then go up that ramp. There was some debris on the ground back there, so I decided to just go back east to the next exit, and turn around.

It was a mess. Vegetation and slabs of billboards and farm building metal all over the highway, couple of overturned trucks that were probably empty, looked like they got flipped after stopping, drivers were out and talking to others that stopped...some police cars...etc...pretty wild! Glad I ducked when I did.

Amazing experience. Was glad I was there. :rock:

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

Jeffco and John, I was very near the epicenter of the 7.1 Lima Prieta earthquake when it struck in 1989. Unforgettable. Would prefer to never experience that again. However, I can state unequivocally that I would prefer Loma Prieta again as opposed to a tornado or hurricane, especially a tornado. Those things just look plain evil.
Signifying nothing”

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

If one comes through and just sucks my shingles off...that would be a benefit....then I could get a new roof!

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

RK, they seem real scary until you go through a few. Rode into two of them coming home from AK. First was worse because I didn't know I was riding into it.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Jeffco, that's quite a story and one I wouldn't want to live thru.

RK, I've been thru both a tornado, but it wasn't right over me, and experienced a small earthquake due to well fracking. I prefer the tornado but then I grew up with them. You get some sort of a warming with a tornado, but not so with an earthquake.

jonnycando, that has happened to me, but at the time I was working on the road and didn't have the insurance I needed to get the roof repaired.
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by lonerider »

I'm watching the weather right now and that's one freakn BIG storm! We've been fortunate in northeast Florida to not get a direct hit in many years, but we've had a couple off shore and it's scary! Good luck to y'all and we're thinking of you! :|

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

lonerider wrote:I'm watching the weather right now and that's one freakn BIG storm! We've been fortunate in northeast Florida to not get a direct hit in many years, but we've had a couple off shore and it's scary! Good luck to y'all and we're thinking of you! :|
I'm in San Antonio and I'm about 130 miles from the Gulf coast. We are already getting the outer bands of it and they are expecting landfall maybe tomorrow night. We also had a mild front that stalled out and soaked everything around here before fizzling out. The ground is saturated which is only going to complicate the flooding. They are still unsure of the tracking so we don't know if we'll be getting the 15 to 20 plus inches of rain or the 8 plus inches. Either one will be rough with the saturated ground. I may try the sloppy joe recipe in our recipe section, leave it in a crockpot and munch on it all day Saturday.

G-d help those along the coast line. I just heard the weather man say that this may strengthen to become the strongest hurricane in 47 years.
Arthritis sucks!

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

Cat 2 now, and forecast to degrade as it moves inland....however it is significant rainmaker. Feet of rain....FEET! :confused:

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

I wouldn't be worried, but I may be concerned enough to consider moving the safest place in my house. A Tornado Warning means the phenomenon in question has already been observed. It is already occurring. Much different from a Watch which means conditions are favorable for the development of .... [space] [emoji106]
lovineveryminuteofit

lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by lonerider »

SR2, this is the wrong thread but we're now talking about hurricane Harvey, now a Cat 3 with 32 in of rain predicted.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Harvey is a category 4 now with 130 mph winds.....

Been through one tornado....passed right over our apartment complex back in the 70's.....tore up and removed the entire roof of that two story apartment building.......folks living above us got soaked and thrown from their bedroom into their hallway...they survived as did everyone else in that complex.....
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"