11'8"

Keep it civil
jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

11'8"

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Some may be familiar with this bridge in Durham, NC. Some may have seen some of these videos before. I have seen it many times. I still find it very funny to watch. :lmao:

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club
My Bike: SUZUKI

Re: 11'8"

Post by franktiregod »

They used to have a sign in Griffin, Georgia about 100 feet before a bridge. The sign hung over the road and it said, "If you hit this sign,you will hit that bridge"

I have a picture of it on photobucket somewhere. I thought it was hilarious. Sadly, they have redone the bridge, made it taller, and removed the sign. The really funny part is the bridge still had marks where idiots had hit the sign and the bridge. You cant fix stupid.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

When we overlaid the road under a bridge/overpass they always milled the road down whatever depth we were overlaying. Then we had a pole to check to make sure the road was the proper height after it was rolled. If it was short they would send out the milling crew to make it the proper height. :OhNo;
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

There used to be a concrete railroad overpass on a highway in northern CA that was at 12' 6". There was this logging company moving a yarder that had a lay down pole that had a 12" I-beam brace on the bottom of the pole (back of lowboy). Total height of the thing was 13'. The truck driver hit the bridge at 80, concrete went everywhere. Took a chunk out of the bridge about 18" wide and 12" high.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

That is hilarious.....state laws call for a sign with clearance heights on both sides of over passes ..what dumb asses :bonk: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:That is hilarious.....state laws call for a sign with clearance heights on both sides of over passes ..what dumb asses :bonk: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
At that point they have driven past several large warning signs, and as a last-ditch attempt to get their attention, those flashing yellow warning lights are radar-triggered and come on when a large vehicle is headed towards them...

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:When we overlaid the road under a bridge/overpass they always milled the road down whatever depth we were overlaying. Then we had a pole to check to make sure the road was the proper height after it was rolled. If it was short they would send out the milling crew to make it the proper height. :OhNo;
When I drove big trucks I was taught to be especially aware of that situation...low clearances marked less than 14' with new pavement under them. Apparently it has been proven empirically that not all road departments are as careful as you were...

I was going through NYC one night, and hooked up with a local driver who knew where I needed to go and was headed the same way, and he was brilliantly getting us there on roads and bridges that I would have been nervous about taking...he'd say stuff like "Now this next one says 13' but it's actually about 13' 6", long as they didn't pave it recently...but we'll fit fine now...we just gotta slow down so the trailers don't bounce much..." :eek:

I was glad he took point. I could see what was about to happen. He wasn't kidding...we cleared by maybe 3"