Carb needle and seat question...

Keep it civil
hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Carb needle and seat question...

Post by hillsy »

Cuban wrote: Image

One other thing - this needle has the witness marks VERY HIGH up on the mating surface. Almost like someone has drilled out the seat in an attempt to allow more fuel to flow into the bowl.

You might want to check the seat isn't damaged - although you are getting a new set anyway but that could have been part of the issue.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

hillsy wrote:
Cuban wrote: Image

witness marks
I gotta remember that. Neat term, I ran across it once or twice before, but hasn't made it into my arsenal yet [emoji106]

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »

hillsy wrote: ... One other thing - this needle has the witness marks VERY HIGH up on the mating surface. Almost like someone has drilled out the seat in an attempt to allow more fuel to flow into the bowl. You might want to check the seat isn't damaged - although you are getting a new set anyway but that could have been part of the issue.
[emoji2] I think I can answer that. This needle/seat set is stamped 3.3 on the bottom. I believe that's the orifice opening. When I went looking for a replacement set, I found them listed at anywhere from 1.5 up to 3.5, so the opening on this set is quite large, relatively speaking. Much like Jeffco's pie hole... not the biggest, but certainly getting there. :jester:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Cuban wrote: Much like Jeffco's pie hole... not the biggest, but certainly getting there. :jester:
OY!...steady there... :fu:

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »

[emoji2] Status update...

Installed the new Needle/Seat today. A few short test rides later and it doesn't appear to be sticking open yet. Time will tell. We think the rust is all outta the tank now. Looks pretty clean in there actually...

New unit...

Thanks for all your help guys. :cheers:

Spyder
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: S50----

Post by Spyder »

Attaboy! [emoji106]

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

The brass seat assy gest tarnished from water and dirt along with the needle itself , this causes a sticky movement.

Polish the inside of the seat with a cotton bud ( cuty tips) and an electric drill with rubbing compound . Lighty sand the 4 corners of the needle with 800 grit wet and dry, dont worry about taking metal off its 800 grit and a little slop wont hurt.

Push the drill over to the side to polish the walls. Clean thouroughly.

Adjust the float so it pushes as straight up and down as you can. Bend what ever you need to to get the right level and attack on the needle.

The needle does not need much movement,-- 3-4mm is ample