Napier Deltics

Keep it civil
jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Napier Deltics

Post by jeffcoslacker »

A strange engine (a three-crank, opposed piston supercharged two stroke diesel in deltic configuration)...has a very unique and wonderful sound. Really strange loping blather at low rpm and when cold, changing to a beautiful low frequency thrumming when working. If you don't have a sub, don't bother, you'll miss out on the good part.

Being modular, they could be built in any number of sections as the intended use required.

Schematic:

Firing order for 18 cylinder:

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Re: Napier Deltics

Post by jonnycando »

A maintenance nightmare, and they smoke like crazy on wide open throttle!

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

jonnycando wrote:A maintenance nightmare, and they smoke like crazy on wide open throttle!
What I've read says that yes, they are finicky and hard to service in situ, so they made them easy to remove and replace. Rather than try to repair or overhaul, you'd pull it and ship it back, while the factory sends you another and you're good to go again.

I'm pretty sure this is how airlines do with jet engines, sometimes they even have a "bank" of factory-fresh overhauled units queued ready to go so there's less downtime, when they have a problem or at normal service intervals they just change them out.

Anyway. Not many Deltics in service anymore...I think Euro clean air regs are seeing to that.

Hey BTW, didja see that Russian smoker I posted a video of? OMG :eek:

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

I did see the Russian locomotives! It's terrible to run one that smokes because it gives the engine strange rhythm that's different from what you get when they are running well.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

jonnycando wrote:I did see the Russian locomotives! It's terrible to run one that smokes because it gives the engine strange rhythm that's different from what you get when they are running well.
That one that was coming down the tracks towards the crew looked like the train that comes to take you to Hell. Fire pouring out of the stacks and smoke blotting out the Sun...I like to send that video to people I know who are hardcore greenies...just to let them know that everything they do for a year is negated by just one of these things being fired up :lmao:

There is actually a video called "Train to Hell" and it's, not surprisingly, from Russia too. A similar type, sitting idling with flames and sparks rocketing from all stacks...I used to have it bookmarked, but not on this computer.

There's also a good one from here in the U.S. of some kind of runaway taking place, with an actual huge firenado coming from the exhaust as it progresses, scary stuff. You seen it?

Here we go.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by jonnycando »

I fired an old GE up once that I had in consist and needed to help pull a grade. It was written up as not running right, but I figured...if it can wheeze it might give me a little help. Well it fired up.....started smoking heavily then backfired so hard it made a mushroom cloud! And then quit....train went up the grade 3 mph!