Heading out again

Keep it civil
tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Heading out again

Post by tabasco »

Riding up to friends' farm outside a Susquehana River town to help them eat their pig. Leaving tomorrow ... which of course caused heavy thunderstorms in the forecast .... I figure if I can make it up to Roscoe without hitting flooding, I'll chow down and head north from there.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Re: Heading out again

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

May I suggest you take along a few Muslims to show them how true Americans live? Tell them it is deer meat and then after they have ate their fill tell them the truth. :lolfall:

Good luck and have fun. [emoji106] [space] :cheers:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:May I suggest you take along a few Muslims to show them how true Americans live? Tell them it is deer meat and then after they have ate their fill tell them the truth. :lolfall:

Good luck and have fun. [emoji106] [space] :cheers:
I have a Muslim friend who has eaten pork by mistake a couple of times. He says Allah can forgive if you truly didn't know. [emoji2]

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Always seems a bit strange that folk's have a problem with Muslims not eating pork. Truth be told, Christians, Jews, and Muslims aren't supposed to indulge in it. Has to do with the feet in case you're interested in looking into this.

Oh, and have a safe and dry ride Tom

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Hoof really as they don't got no feet's. :cheers:

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

Tbeck wrote:
Always seems a bit strange that folk's have a problem with Muslims not eating pork. Truth be told, Christians, Jews, and Muslims aren't supposed to indulge in it. Has to do with the feet in case you're interested in looking into this.
A few months ago I was at Wal-Mart checking out with an old foreign guy ringing up my stuff. He rang up everything but turned and walked away when he got to my package of bacon. A minute later a young american guy comes over and rings up the bacon mumbling something about the other guys religion. Then the old guy came back and finished up...

I honestly couldn't care less what would possess a person to act that way.
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

After around 50 years our town went wet again by vote.When in the food store that now has beer and cheap wine a teen age check out gal told me if I had any beer she could not touch or check it out and have to get some one of age! Spy pics taken all over so that's a bit much IMO.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

old time rider wrote:After around 50 years our town went wet again by vote.When in the food store that now has beer and cheap wine a teen age check out gal told me if I had any beer she could not touch or check it out and have to get some one of age! Spy pics taken all over so that's a bit much IMO.
Most stores that sell liquor here won't hire underaged cashiers, but a few big grocery stores do, and I've seen that, where they had to call the cashier supervisor over to ring the alcohol part of your sale...

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

jeffcoslacker wrote:
old time rider wrote:After around 50 years our town went wet again by vote.When in the food store that now has beer and cheap wine a teen age check out gal told me if I had any beer she could not touch or check it out and have to get some one of age! Spy pics taken all over so that's a bit much IMO.
Most stores that sell liquor here won't hire underaged cashiers, but a few big grocery stores do, and I've seen that, where they had to call the cashier supervisor over to ring the alcohol part of your sale...

Fareway grocery stores are like that...
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

jeffcoslacker wrote:
When I was in HS I worked in a grocery store in the state of Oregon. I could stock the cooler with beer, stock the shelves with wine and beer, bag beer and wine, but could not carry it out to the vehicle. The owner's daughter was working as a cashier since she was 16, and could not ring up the sale of beer or wine until she turned 21.

Strange laws....
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Same reason why you're unable to ring up beer or any alcohol at the self check stations...
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

I used to work in a pizza restaurant here in Texas when I was 16 and the drinking age was stil 18. I was not allowed to serve beer if someone came up to the counter to order one. It was explained to me that the reason was that as soon as a minor holds it, you now become a "Minor in Possession" which is a misdemeanor here in Texas.
Arthritis sucks!

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by tabasco »

So Friday morning there was teaming rain here. Had the bike all packed up, but clearly departure is delayed. Went online looked at radar. Big storm system, with another one coming an hour away after a short break. Still was gonna try it ... until cellphone started wailing ... Flash flood and sever storm warnings ... eesh I ain't getting on the Cross Island Expressway in that shit, I want to live to see my grandkids grow a bit. So, bags off the bike ... into the cage. Was a good call ... route 17 from Monticello past Liberty to Roscoe was heavy rain ... at one point cars pulling off the road with everone else crawling with flashers on ... total deluge. Couldn't see.

But going home on Sunday was depressing without the bike in the nice weather ... UNTIL I got to NYC, didn't miss it then, heh heh.

The pig roast was awesome ... best fun you could hope for. Pics later hopefully but Photobucket ... well, you know ...

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

tabasco wrote:So Friday morning there was teaming rain here. Had the bike all packed up, but clearly departure is delayed. Went online looked at radar. Big storm system, with another one coming an hour away after a short break. Still was gonna try it ... until cellphone started wailing ... Flash flood and sever storm warnings ... eesh I ain't getting on the Cross Island Expressway in that shit, I want to live to see my grandkids grow a bit. So, bags off the bike ... into the cage. Was a good call ... route 17 from Monticello past Liberty to Roscoe was heavy rain ... at one point cars pulling off the road with everone else crawling with flashers on ... total deluge. Couldn't see.

But going home on Sunday was depressing without the bike in the nice weather ... UNTIL I got to NYC, didn't miss it then, heh heh.

The pig roast was awesome ... best fun you could hope for. Pics later hopefully but Photobucket ... well, you know ...
Got caught on the highway in one of those driving from Denver to Colorado Springs one day, everybody around us slowed to about 30 and it was single-file in the right lane, everyone just taking cues from the tail lights ahead, that was all you could see, road ahead and everything else just featureless gray. You know shit is gonna hit the fan, just a matter of when.

This guy in a big late 70's Eldorado goes rocketing past in the left lane like there's no issues there at all...doing every bit of 70 mph at least, totally blind...later on down a couple of miles it was letting up just enough to be able to make out other cars, not just lights...and we started dodging some debris...at first plastic, tail light pieces...then bigger stuff, filler panel chunks and shattered safety glass, chrome strips, then a freakin' trailing beam axle, with wheels on :eek: and finally what was left of a mid-80's Chevy Celebrity, with the back end of the car packed all the way into the back seat, and no wheels on the back, about 2/3 the length the car should be, spun sideways across the lanes. We pulled way far out to the right and jumped out to assist, fearing the worst...car's back was broken, almost folded in half...

And here was this gray-haired older couple, in their late 70's at least, staring up at their headliner wondering WTF just happened...the impact was so bad the bench seat's front supports broke from the floor and the seat flipped back, actually stopping against what used to be the "shelf" in the rear window, as the back seats were completely wadded down into the floor. It was amazing.

And they were fine! We helped them out, took them over to our car to get out of the road and rain...the girl I was with asked if we should try to help the people in the Eldorado, we could barely see it up ahead, sitting backwards with the front end crushed in the center median. I told her no, fuck that guy. He's an idiot. :hellfire: But other people did stop.

Back then nobody had a cell phone (WHUUUUT?) Yeah I know, weird, huh?) so we had to sit and wait for the State cop to show up. He had us go down the road to a little cafe where they did the report...but these pleasant old folks were in a bind, car destroyed, didn't want to make their daughter come all the way down from Denver in the bad weather to take them home outside of C.Springs...

So we ended up taking them to the airport in C.Springs, and they got a rental so they could go home and have a car to use. their attitude towards the whole thing was so amazing...just kinda "shit happens, glad we're alive and insured..." and especially they were glad about their dog...they said normally they'd have him with them, in a carrier in the back seat. That would not have ended well here. They had decided to leave him home because the daughter had a new baby and they didn't want to worry about how the dog would react to it.

Man I love it when you people say something and it jars loose a whole episode :rock:

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by tabasco »

WOW! Why those folks didn’t slow down is anyone’s guess, probably just stupidity.

Yah, when the wipers are going full speed and you can’t see … it’s time to pull over, or just crawl with the flashers on, which is what I did … and the cars around me did ….

On a bike, if you have full rain gear, you pull to the shoulder and wait it out. But you CAN’T do that getting out of NYC area … all you could do is pray.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

tabasco wrote:WOW! Why those folks didn’t slow down is anyone’s guess, probably just stupidity.

Yah, when the wipers are going full speed and you can’t see … it’s time to pull over, or just crawl with the flashers on, which is what I did … and the cars around me did ….

On a bike, if you have full rain gear, you pull to the shoulder and wait it out. But you CAN’T do that getting out of NYC area … all you could do is pray.
Yeah I remember NYC traffic...relentless and seems like no good place to get out if you had to.

I've said before but I hope every time I say it more motorcyclists get the message...if you think you gotta stop under something like an overpass to wait it out, stop near the far side...that way you are framed in contrast to the light at the end...easy to see...seen too many stop near the beginning or middle that were essentially invisible due to the dark and your eyes not adjusting quickly enough after entering the shadow. Some had parts hanging right on the white line, scared the crap out me. I only see it because my lights are when it rains...but a lotta people don't bother...

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by tabasco »

jeffcoslacker wrote:
tabasco wrote:WOW! Why those folks didn’t slow down is anyone’s guess, probably just stupidity.

Yeah I remember NYC traffic...relentless and seems like no good place to get out if you had to.

I've said before but I hope every time I say it more motorcyclists get the message...if you think you gotta stop under something like an overpass to wait it out, stop near the far side...that way you are framed in contrast to the light at the end...easy to see...seen too many stop near the beginning or middle that were essentially invisible due to the dark and your eyes not adjusting quickly enough after entering the shadow. Some had parts hanging right on the white line, scared the crap out me. I only see it because my lights are when it rains...but a lotta people don't bother...
Great advice, thanks.