Know Thine Enemy As You Know Your Own Self

Keep it civil
jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Know Thine Enemy As You Know Your Own Self

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Wanna hear another story about goddamn nuisance insects that can't be gotten rid of?

Too bad. I don't have it in me.

But as with most battles, Sun Tzu is a good place to start.

It's tough to get rid of an enemy that you don't understand. And even though it sounds dumb when dealing with insects, ask an exterminator (well, a good one, anyway) what their first move is, and they will say identifying exactly the type of insect you're dealing with.

I have been dealing with these freakin' gnats every year, it starts around the time I think I'm safe from the damn ants, and persists essentially until the weather cools down a bit. Then the ants usually start again :bang: . During that time period these things SERIOUSLY harsh my calm, constantly trying to be in my eyes, my nose, my mouth. They bash into my glasses non-stop. Some figure out how to get between my glasses and my eyes, which REALLY pisses me off. Sometimes I open my mouth to utter something unpleasant because one just flew into my nose, only to inhale yet another that must have been waiting for me to open it. This goes on constantly, every minute of every hour I am in here. And it seems like for every one I kill, two replace it. Instead of getting better, the problem gets worse.

So I needed to take this seriously. I'm really tired of these tiny fucking insects making my life so uncomfortable. between these bastards and the ants, the entire warm season is just one constant freak-out of bugs on me, in my stuff, in my food, and I'm tired of it.

Turns out, these are a specific type of gnat, didn't realize there were so many. And like the ants, each has their specific shtick they stick to and knowing what that is at least gives you some kind of handle on how to go about beating them.

These are commonly called "Drain Flies" and as the name suggests, they breed in water, the doopier the better. Apparently cleaners and even bleach have little effect on them, they can endure it long enough to become adults and leave the water. Even boiling water won't kill them off. So a P-trap with any residual water in it works great for them. Probably the problem, as while I don't have running water, I do run some stuff down the drains, and probably without adequate flushing since I only have whatever water is sitting around to work with.

But it does offer an advantage insofar as how to deal with them. I flushed out the three drains (bathroom sink, shower, kitchen sink) and sealed them off. I can do without them for a bit if this works. These little guys have such an amazingly short life span, that if I'm doing any good, the results should be almost immediately apparent.

I'll let you know tomorrow.

BTW, the stuff I read said the only permanent solution is going to be a thorough cleaning of the drain pipes, or sometimes they said running drain opener of the type that expands and leaving it in there overnight can be too much for them to survive. If you have trouble with these stupid things.... :bang:

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Re: Know Thine Enemy As You Know Your Own Self

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

We have them by the thousands in my area right now.....and mosquitos to end all....we've been getting more than our share of rainfall this summer, at last total we are 22 inches above normal for the year and it's only August.....This has been the wettest summer in a long while.. my back yard is completely mush....last week I recorded 8 1/2 inches of rain and this week has started off like gang busters with an accumulation of another 6 1/2 inches ... the Louisiana varieties of mosquitoes are atrocious.... they come in all sizes now from the tiniest to the larger river variety...
And along with the skeeters the gnats are in abundance also.....they're everywhere and most noticeable when the wind dies down ...
But I've found a way to eliminate a large number of them, if that's at all possible...
My solution....I leave my front door and rear patio lights on at night....doesn't seem like much but with the bright lights left on it attracts the insects, gants included.... and that brings on the spiders ....strange bedfellows eh? Not the larger spiders but the smallish house spiders and they spin their webs all around each door casings and trap them pesky little gnats....along with the spiders it also attracts geckos... and they really get after the gnats and flies and every other insect that the lights attract...
But the pesky critters still manage to slip by the door guards and into our home......in the morning we'll usually find them hanging around the bathroom and the kitchen...seems as though they can smell water... :bonk:
So don't feel bad .. these critters are everywhere...
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

Diversion even better. Hang a light away from the house in a tree branch. Don't want them bugs and spiders around my portal.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

RoadKing wrote:Diversion even better. Hang a light away from the house in a tree branch. Don't want them bugs and spiders around my portal.
Spiders don't bother me. They tend to stay in their own lane and don't cross paths with people too often. If there wasn't something there to eat, they wouldn't be there. So I tolerate them. Occasionally if they are just too big or freaky, or won't stay out of my way, I'll put them outside.

I have several of the kind of beefy-looking black ones with the green eyes and mandibles that are ambush hunters, they don't make webs. I often see their shadows on the other side of the curtains, they like to patrol the windows and screens for just the kinds of pests I'm trying to get rid of.

I wish we had some native geckos or anoles around here, johnny is correct, they are insect eating machines. I have a large male Tokay gecko (Fuck-You lizard, if you saw them in Vietnam)...unfortunately he's too big to bother with small ants and flies or I'd let him roam and put a big dent in their numbers...

I read where some NYC landlords with roach problems will buy them and turn them loose in the buildings and they are great for controlling bugs...I believe it, when we lived in a crappy rental house with a leaky basement we had all hella crickets and pillbugs and beetles down there...I caught a couple of common toads and gave them a job [emoji106] worked great!

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Sounds like I need to leave my porch light on all night. :Umm:

Hey Suzuki Johnny, we had another round of rain come thru tonight. So you might get it in a day or two. :bang:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

BEST SOLUTION FOR INSECTS .... MOVE TO ALASKA
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Move to Alaska....When we were on the DeadHorse trip talked to lots of people that mostly had moved from the lower 48 20-40 years ago.Did well and stayed. What I could not under stand about the mosquitos was how cold it would be yet they would be in swarms around your head! Never hardly bite but drive you crazy.Sure it was not as cold as we thought but in Ky. you would never see one below 70.Lower 48 they bite like crazy and are about half the size.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

Some of those Alaska mosquitoes are as big as dinner plates! Some of them have to request permission from air traffic control to land on something! Alaska is a strange and wonderful place!

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

jeffcoslacker wrote:
So a P-trap with any residual water in it works great for them. Probably the problem...

We put these "flat stoppers" over the drains just for that reason...

Walmart: Flat Drain Stopper 98 cents

Since your not running any water, I wonder if some radiator fluid in the trap would help...
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

JFL Live wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote:
So a P-trap with any residual water in it works great for them. Probably the problem...

We put these "flat stoppers" over the drains just for that reason...

Walmart: Flat Drain Stopper 98 cents

Since your not running any water, I wonder if some radiator fluid in the trap would help...
Cool. I may get those. I thought about filling them up with RV anti-freeze but I think it's just all alcohol. Then I'd have drunk jerk flies. Can't put anything too wicked down, don't wanna kill the septic system.

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

jeffcoslacker wrote:
Then I'd have drunk jerk flies.

At least they'd be easier to catch! :lolfall:
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

JFL Live wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote:
Then I'd have drunk jerk flies.

At least they'd be easier to catch! :lolfall:
The bugs would come to you instead of running (flying) away from you. :lolfall:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »

jeffcoslacker wrote: Wanna hear another story about goddamn nuisance insects that can't be gotten rid of?
[emoji2] I read your story about the ants too. All I can say is ya got more patience than I...

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Cuban wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote: Wanna hear another story about goddamn nuisance insects that can't be gotten rid of?
[emoji2] I read your story about the ants too. All I can say is ya got more patience than I...

Oh believe me, it has crossed my mind. This ol' box has well surpassed its expected use and longevity goals. A Viking funeral would be appropriate. :evil:

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

I work part time at Lowe's Home Improvement in the Seasonal and Outdoor Power Equipment departments. The part of my department that always needs attention with restocking and tidying up is the chemical aisle. Rat traps and poisons, roach foggers and sprays, critter repellents and bed bugs treatments fly off the shelf year round. It's all you can do to keep it stocked. The chemical industry, to include lawn care products, has to be nearly as big as the pharmaceuticals. And little of it actually works as advertised. [space] :lmao:
lovineveryminuteofit

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

The places that you can walk in and buy the ..AS SEEN ON TV ..stuff have the other signs Can not return to this store.. :lmao:

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

old time rider wrote:The places that you can walk in and buy the ..AS SEEN ON TV ..stuff have the other signs Can not return to this store.. :lmao:
We sell a little plastic vessel about the diameter of a half dollar that looks like an apple. Inside the apple is an attractant. It's supposed to draw knats to it and away from your fruit bowl. People gladly pay $7 for this little darling. Flip it over and read the active ingredients for the attractant ... It's 98% water ... 2% apple cider vinegar. A bottle cap with a little vinegar and water would accomplish the same thing ... assuming it even works. [space] :lmao:
lovineveryminuteofit

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

SuzyRidr2 wrote:I work part time at Lowe's Home Improvement in the Seasonal and Outdoor Power Equipment departments. The part of my department that always needs attention with restocking and tidying up is the chemical aisle. Rat traps and poisons, roach foggers and sprays, critter repellents and bed bugs treatments fly off the shelf year round. It's all you can do to keep it stocked. The chemical industry, to include lawn care products, has to be nearly as big as the pharmaceuticals. And little of it actually works as advertised. [space] :lmao:
In the portion of my life where I've actively used such products, I've never seen one that works as stated. There used to be a poison you could use on the garden when I was a kid that actually worked, I can't remember what it was called. But it got pulled because it was a pretty bad thing to turn loose on the outdoors at large, now you have all this stuff that is either useless or too wimpy at the levels stated for use to do any good.

My exterminator friend told me that for THEIR stuff to actually work as well as it should, it would have to be mixed 2-3 times stronger, or put down like every other day. He said anything you buy in the store you need to use at least twice as hard as it says if you wanna see any results.

I believe that. When we got fleas in the house real bad I tried sprays and bombs for weeks and it did absolutely not a bit of good. I could spray the shit directly ON THEM, and unless they just happened to physically DROWN in it, they went happily on their way :bang: And yes, I did account for delayed kill...was supposed to kill fleas anywhere you sprayed within days...as I said this dragged on for weeks with multiple rounds of spraying and bombing with no results.

Same with these sprays for ants. You can literally drown them with it, but you can do that with anything. It says it keeps killing for weeks after...I got a cheap bridge I'll sell you if you believe that. And I told about how I used TWO brand-new (no shelf life issues) foggers in here, which was DOUBLE the recommended use for the square footage, and that didn't even do anything aside from rendering them all paralyzed for a short time, they sprung back to life after I opened the place up. It ultimately took THREE (TRIPLE the instructed use, and second use in a two-day period) to actually get a high-percentage kill, and even though they also said they keep killing for a period after, new ones just roared in and took over with impunity. That's total bullshit.

But I think the problem there is not so much the product or the company as it is the way they have to make it, because no matter what kind of warnings and instructions they put on it there's always going to be some retards that spray it all over in the baby's crib, or fog the fucking place without leaving, or some other dumbshit thing, so they have to try to walk a thin line between lethal to bugs but mostly harmless to stupid people, and those two lines just don't intersect. :donno:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

SuzyRidr2 wrote:
old time rider wrote:The places that you can walk in and buy the ..AS SEEN ON TV ..stuff have the other signs Can not return to this store.. :lmao:
We sell a little plastic vessel about the diameter of a half dollar that looks like an apple. Inside the apple is an attractant. It's supposed to draw knats to it and away from your fruit bowl. People gladly pay $7 for this little darling. Flip it over and read the active ingredients for the attractant ... It's 98% water ... 2% apple cider vinegar. A bottle cap with a little vinegar and water would accomplish the same thing ... assuming it even works. [space] :lmao:
You can do that with a small funnel and a jar, put a little in the jar and set the funnel in there so the small end is just above the liquid's surface, the gnats go in through the funnel but aren't real good at figuring out how to get back out, and eventually fly around randomly and fall in the liquid and die.

It doesn't work. That's been a home remedy thing forever.

What DOES attract and kill gnats VERY well, and any mechanic can probably attest to this...they go NUTS for used gear oil. You take the cover off a diff, and suddenly you've got every gnat for 20 miles around. You set the catch pan aside, and within hours there will be tons of them floating around dead in it.

It doesn't work with new gear oil, or syn...I think the sulfur is critical somehow, because old used dino gear oil REEKS of it. It's gotta have that burnt sulfur odor to pull them in. If I had anything I could get some out of, I would, because I know it works. Used it before, in the apparatus described above.

old time rider
Back on the Road

Post by old time rider »

All so they can force feed a mouse a gallon a day of it and he gets cancer! Then a lawyer gets rich from a class action because Aunt Sally at age 99 may have died from it and some of your late kin folk! :eek: Read the side on what may happen to you! Death is usually last as it should be but the line of stuff before it may have you wishing it was first if you have all of them before! :eek: :eek: