Land Rover climbs dam (youtube video)

Keep it civil
BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Land Rover climbs dam (youtube video)

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

I'd hate to be the guy in the vehicle. Then there is the fact the Land Rover doesn't really climb the dam, but is pulled up by the winch. :blink:

[youtube][/youtube]
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Re: Land Rover climbs dam (youtube video)

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Hell with that.

That was one mighty cable though...I've had stuff much heavier hanging in mid-air on cable much smaller, in the wrecker days. Long as his winch brake held out, he was pretty safe....

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Yep, I would imagine they knew the size of cable to use before they started. Still to be hanging up like that and knowing the only thing holding you there is the winch and cable would be scary to me. :eek:

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

Forget that!
Arthritis sucks!

Joe A
Learning My Moped
My Bike: The Legendary Classic

Post by Joe A »

I wouldn't want to take it on that ride, but the Land Rover Defender has been my Grail car forever.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Joe A wrote:I wouldn't want to take it on that ride, but the Land Rover Defender has been my Grail car forever.
Joe, you have to remember that it isn't really the Land Rover that is climbing the dam but the winch pulling the vehicle up the dam. If you trust the winch cable to do it's job any vehicle would do the same thing. :blink:

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

AND HIS EX WAS OPERATING THE WINCH .....
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:
Joe A wrote:I wouldn't want to take it on that ride, but the Land Rover Defender has been my Grail car forever.
Joe, you have to remember that it isn't really the Land Rover that is climbing the dam but the winch pulling the vehicle up the dam. If you trust the winch cable to do it's job any vehicle would do the same thing. :blink:

Aha........so the winch climbed the dam thing...right? [emoji106]

You could have attached that winch to a child's Big Wheel.....and it would have done the same exact thing...
The commentators at the end of the clip were right.....waste of time
But it did make good press.......kudo's the the operator of the Land Rover......They would have had to pay me some serious bucks to do that trick [emoji106]
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

The winch on my wrecker was not electric or hydro, it was PTO driven right off the transmission, with a strong 350 behind it. I want to say the winch itself had a 16:1 ratio from the tranny output, and then it depended what gear you put the trans in as to what you'd ultimately get out. But you could get ABSURDLY low with it, using so many revolutions of a 350 engine for such minor cable movement it could just about do anything. If the object I was recovering was too stuck to move, that thing rotated the Earth towards it until it was free [emoji2] With the scotch blocks chained to the truck and it sitting perched on them, SOMETHING was gonna give, and it wasn't gonna be the truck.

Sometimes I'd have it wedged and the cable run off the boom and down low through a snatch block and out to the load, it STILL resisted the pull so bad that I'd hear the cable starting to make spooky sounds and I'd stop and set the brake on the winch drum and just let it sit, under tension, and see where it was gonna go with it. That's when you really don't wanna be near the back of the truck. SLOOOOooowwwwly, the load would almost always start moving, breaking mud suction or whatever was holding it. That truck was badass.

My boss told me when he first turned me loose with it that if it EVER got stuck in mud or slop, put it in 4 Low, first gear, and just let it eat at 2500 rpm until it found something down there it could get a bite on, bedrock if it had to [emoji2] He was right, it always did, never had to come after it with another truck despite being sunk in saturated clay to my knees and over the hubs a few times. It was a beast.

Boss was an old farm boy, so he knew what works, and it always had 6 of these cheap Powerking pizza-cutter tractor lug tires on it that made it howl like a banshee on pavement and they were old style bias ply construction so it had "lumps" and shook until the tires warmed up first run of the day...but man it could bite off-road....