Classy?

Keep it civil
jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Re: Classy?

Post by jeffcoslacker »

lonerider wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote:Hi...My name is jeffco...
IIRC, your name is NOT Jeff/Jeffco. But I don't recall what it really is .... Maybe Michael? [emoji2]

[emoji41]
Maybe...but it's not. [emoji2]

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

OK I have officially strayed WAY outside mission parameters...dammit I gotta stop looking at coins.

This one just knocked me dead. I know, the plating is love it or hate it...I happen to find it awesome.

One ounce silver plated in black Ruthenium (a Platinum group metal) and highlighted in 24kt gold.

Typically the sculpting of a woman's face on private mint coins SUCKS...but this one got it right. She's hot. [emoji2]

The coins were produced starting in 2013 (I think), which is what these are. They still make them, and I may buy a few of the regular silver ones because they are in line with what a one ounce round should cost. These were then plated by a private mint which has since gone under, so no more of these. Someone must have been hoarding a bunch, because they suddenly showed up in the market and went quick, to people who fall in love with inanimate objects easily like me :uhh: ... I snagged two.

Well I have noticed that limited production and enhanced coins DO seem to only increase in value too...so there's that...

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

jeffcoslacker wrote:
Typically the sculpting of a woman's face on private mint coins SUCKS...but this one got it right. She's hot. [emoji2]

Looks like Michael Jackson...
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

JFL Live wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote:

Looks like Michael Jackson...
Oh see, that's just not right... :bang:

[emoji2]

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

I'll have to dig you up some pics of what I'm talking about...there's coins out there with hot pinup gals...with faces that look like Barbara Bush after getting hit in the mug with a shovel or something...just ruins the whole vibe... :eek:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

The most common reaction I've gotten so far is "Why is Farrah Fawcett on a coin?" [emoji2]

I can live with that.

Micheal Jackson...sheesh...I don't know about you.... :uhh:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

jeffcoslacker wrote:I'll have to dig you up some pics of what I'm talking about...there's coins out there with hot pinup gals...with faces that look like Barbara Bush after getting hit in the mug with a shovel or something...just ruins the whole vibe... :eek:
This is a fair example..but it gets worse...much worse...

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Would that be Marilyn Manson? :OhNo;
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

M'kay, just bought 2 of the regular minted Freedom Girl 2013's to go with the enhanced ones for contrast/comparison.

Honestly, I think her image looks better in plain silver, but I love the contrast of the gunmetal and gold on the enhanced, so it's win-win for me.

I got a line on something really neat (to me anyway)...just waiting on a response to a question I asked before I buy it. It's nothing Earth-shattering, but an interesting piece that was a special run for a major company to celebrate their 75th anniversary. A bit dated (1991) and kinda cool, never seen one before, I suppose it's probably a bit rare.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

I'd like to buy more, but JMBullion has a $100 min. on purchases and I've heard a lot of stories about people getting scammed on eBay. I just can't find that $100 after I pay all my bills and buy food when my SS money gets here every month. :bang:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:I'd like to buy more, but JMBullion has a $100 min. on purchases and I've heard a lot of stories about people getting scammed on eBay. I just can't find that $100 after I pay all my bills and buy food when my SS money gets here every month. :bang:
I just stick to sellers that have impeccable feedback scores and thousands of transactions...you sometimes see stuff that is so scammy it's not even funny, and yet they just leave it up there, even though nobody is interested. I guess it only takes one, that's the beauty of it, far as they are concerned.

One in particular I'm thinking of is a name brand bar, I think maybe your brand, SilverTowne? Has this bar that's supposed to be new mint fresh for sale for like $19 when those go for at least a few bucks more, and I'm almost certain it's one of those plated chunks of Chinese iron I posted a while back. The pic even looks like the one I remember from the AliExpress site, so he didn't even bother to take an original pic of it. He's just being lazy, trying to see if he can get $19 for a $1.40 worth of stamped plated iron. And like I said, at some point somebody's probably gonna think they found something everybody else missed, and snap it up... :donno:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

That makes sense. I'll have to try that the next time I have a few extra dollars. Thanks for the tip. [emoji106]
I bought a colorized 1 oz coin of President elect Donald J Trump dated 2017. It should be worth whatever an oz of silver is selling for. I paid a lot more than that for it. :bonk: [space] :lolfall:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

BTW, I latched onto some weird copper pieces last week that I'm really digging and trying to find out who what where why about...never seen any like them before, they are a 1 oz bar replica of 1880's $20 gold certificates...and plated in 24kt gold. Really unusual size, they kept the correct aspect ratio of the certificate, rather than just doing a likeness on standard size bar blanks as most do, so they were done for a special purpose at more expense than usual.

When I got them I was amazed by the quality of the plating and the detail of the strike...even small as they are details like signatures and the geometric graphics that money/certificates have are very clean and legible...I can't figure out who made them, when they were made, or why. But they are cool. [emoji106]

Clearest pic I could do, hands shaky tonight...

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

That's interesting. I'll have to start buying more and different stuff. [emoji106]

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:That's interesting. I'll have to start buying more and different stuff. [emoji106]
I like copper stuff...it's cheap to buy, but of course it's not actually worth much as a metal, but still not junk metal either...it will always be worth at least spot scrap if nothing else...

I guess another cool thing about it is that even if I see a silver bar or round that I think is really cool but can't justify the price, there's often a counterpart copper version that's really cheap. Like these Liberty Girls? If I just couldn't bring myself to pop for the silver versions as I did, they also come in copper at less than $5 each....I would have done that anyway just because I like them a lot.

The copper stuff comes in a lotta cool forms too...bullets, cubes, balls, etc. All kinds of weird fun stuff...

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

You have a website you visit a lot for this stuff or what, maybe eBay?

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:You have a website you visit a lot for this stuff or what, maybe eBay?
Yeah most just ebay finds, some I've gotten from Copperhead Bullion, he's on ebay too, but prices are a little better direct from the site. But his stock is kinda limited as far as types of things...I bought the ten pound copper bar from him, ten one pounders, a 5 oz round and an 8 oz .50 BMG bullet replica, and that's pretty much all he's got that I wanted.

There's a guy on ebay called comicmage that has copper stuff, and he's a good one to buy from. Ships fast and price is always the best.

For silver on ebay MCM (Modern Coin Mart) is good prices, legit, and free shipping, and I've bought quite a bit from one called Silverage2013, he's Chinese and sells Chinese-made silver products, but good quality and ships free from a California warehouse. Always fast to ship and quality and weights have been great.

PS, MCM has your Silvertowne, RMC and Sunshine Mint and other basic 1 oz bars for $22 free ship. Not bad...and they have a lot of five 1 oz for $100 or so deals, about $20/oz, can't hardly beat that...

$101.70....

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

I met a young American in Spain years ago, he asked if I had English money, well of course I did. He was particularly impressed with the 50 pence as it showed a ring of hands clasping one anothers wrist, one of the hands was female denoting Margeret Thatcher.

Oh crickey he liked that so I sold it to him for 2 dollars.

Then I showed him a 50 pound note, he liked that too but not so much when I said it would cost him about 80 dollars to buy it.

I found an unusual 50p in Uk last week. I found that they were being sold on Ebay for 10,000 pounds (free postage). Its real value was 50p.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Fred wrote:I met a young American in Spain years ago, he asked if I had English money, well of course I did. He was particularly impressed with the 50 pence as it showed a ring of hands clasping one anothers wrist, one of the hands was female denoting Margeret Thatcher.

Oh crickey he liked that so I sold it to him for 2 dollars.

Then I showed him a 50 pound note, he liked that too but not so much when I said it would cost him about 80 dollars to buy it.

I found an unusual 50p in Uk last week. I found that they were being sold on Ebay for 10,000 pounds (free postage). Its real value was 50p.
You see a lot of wild asking prices on ebay for unremarkable stuff...like I said it just takes one sucker, and they are out there somewhere. With silver what I find funny is people will be selling 1 GRAM bars, which are tiny....about half the size of a postage stamp and real thin...I buy those 30 at a time in packs....but even though it clearly says 1 gram in the listing people buy them and FREAK THE HELL OUT when they see this tiny thing they bought and go nuts on the seller with accusations of ripping them off...hilarious!

PS far as Euro coins I like those old bi-metal 500 lira coins from Italy. I have a couple, nice looking coins. Lot of them get turned into jewelry.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Speaking of the 1 gram bars...there are a few "soft scam" type things you gotta just watch out for...my brain doesn't work that way, I'd never be able to come up with such things...but some people got human nature figured out and exploit it...

One thing you'll see is you'll be getting all bleary-eyed looking at hundreds of listings of 1 ounce pieces and suddenly there's a listing for a 1 GRAM bar, priced at what would actually be a steal for a 1 OUNCE bar...but about 25x too much for a gram of silver...and they do that knowing that at least a few people are going to be so stoked that they think they bought an ounce for a good price rather than a gram for an absurd price... :bonk:

As you see above, they CLEARLY say 1 gram on them, but I think many people (here anyway) that are not familiar with collectible metals or metric weights just go by the picture, and as you see above, if you take a great close-up they LOOK like a 1 ounce bar...

Always look twice and SURE of what you're buying before you hit "But it Now"....I've actually been momentarily drawn in by this kind of thing a couple of times after looking at stuff too late into the night...