Well, .22 is back

Keep it civil
jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Re: Well, .22 is back

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:
I was at Academy not 2 months ago to check out the revolvers and there was still no .22's out on the shelves..... What happened????
That's what I'm sayin'...something changed. Wonder what?

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

I think places that have been traditionally cleaned out as soon as 22 ammo has come in, have gotten inventive to prevent it being snapped up. Instead of the usual shelf space, placed on counters, displays, etc.
Some folks didn't get the memo that there's no shortage

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Tbeck wrote:I think places that have been traditionally cleaned out as soon as 22 ammo has come in, have gotten inventive to prevent it being snapped up. Instead of the usual shelf space, placed on counters, displays, etc.
Some folks didn't get the memo that there's no shortage
Yeah Academy did have all the .22 WMR inside the glass counter. And I went around and around the aisles of shelves at Bass Pro before finding all the .22 and .17 all by themselves...away from the other ammo, true...

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

I used to have 4 or 5 thousand rounds stashed away... until that unfortunate break in.
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

JFL Live wrote:I used to have 4 or 5 thousand rounds stashed away... until that unfortunate break in.
I don't remember that story.

My old biker buddy Bob and his wife got broken into and stole all their electronics, guns, and ammo. That was a pretty good haul for those jackoffs, they got his AK, a pump 12 ga Mossberg, a Walther PPK, a '69 .357 mag Colt Python, and a Makarov that I sold him. For some reason they left the AR-15....they were actually coming home through the back door as these shitbags were going out the front. Maybe they didn't have time. Or a way to carry it.

I asked him if he got any rounds off, he and CJ are ALWAYS armed. He said no, CJ started to pull, she has one of those carry purses with the sleeve for her gun...but he said let 'em go...they had all the good stuff, and bad odds for a firefight.

They live in what is now an all-black neighborhood. The cops showed up before they even had a chance to put their stuff down and process what had happened. Finding the dogs was their priority...that pissed them off more than anything, bastards maced the dogs and kicked them downstairs so they could lock them up. One of them is traumatized by it so bad, she won't go down there anymore.

Anyway the cops got there so fast because of Bob's neighbor. She knows how he is (old racist white guy) but they get along well enough...she brings his trash cans up for them, he gives her a ride or loans tools to her boyfriend when their car is broken...he likes her more than he'll admit...

I talked to her when I saw her after. I thanked her for always watching out for them. She said she saw "Mistah Bob" as she calls him, pulling in the driveway (she's always out sitting on her porch) and the front door flew open and 5 young black guys ran out across the street and away, arms full. She said she called 911 right away, because she "knows ain't no niggers s'posed ta be in Mistah Bob's house..." :lolfall:

I like her, she's hilarious.

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

jeffcoslacker wrote:

Sorry, maybe it was a boating accident... :wink:

That sucks about your friend, big loss. Hard to imagine getting cleaned out like that. Hope their insurance was good.
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

JFL Live wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote:

Sorry, maybe it was a boating accident... :wink:

That sucks about your friend, big loss. Hard to imagine getting cleaned out like that. Hope their insurance was good.
It was. Now he's got a Kimber Micro 2 tone and an AK-74M with the universal upgrade kit. Still looking at shotguns, hasn't made a decision yet.

Slightly smarter than the common street thugs, these buttholes also stole the security system's hard drive. They got a new system that streams to a cloud-based storage system, if I understand right.

The bastards were either well-prepped with a great plan, or just happened to hit it on the head with dumb luck somehow. I think the first. He'd had some people there doing work on the back of the house, which is where they came in, by exploiting some factors that were not usually present. He's pretty sure that if it wasn't the same people, they at least provided the intel. :hellfire:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

JFL, them dirty rat bastard's broke into your house as well? I guess they read your post about all your guns being lost in the boating incident and figured you wouldn't miss it, Lol.

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

jeffcoslacker wrote:
Now he's got a Kimber Micro 2 tone....

I saw those on sale at Bass Pro... Nice gun but not in the budget right now.
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

JFL Live wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote:
Now he's got a Kimber Micro 2 tone....

I saw those on sale at Bass Pro... Nice gun but not in the budget right now.
I don't know if you saw my post recently about "Everything I've (held, driven, rode) was total crap before this" experiences, but I'd never even looked at a Kimber before, I just see the big number hanging from the trigger guard and avert my eyes...I'm not worthy...but when he handed me that gun to have a look at, it was another one of those moments. Such a beautifully made weapon, just clearing it to inspect it closely was a joy. Amazing precision and feels incredible in my hands.

Normally upon liking something that much, I'd want one. But it kinda falls into the same groove as when I bought a pricey B.C. Rich guitar...then realized I'm not THAT good...don't deserve a guitar that nice, it was a waste of money :donno:

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

jeffcoslacker wrote:
I don't know if you saw my post recently about "Everything I've (held, driven, rode) was total crap before this" experiences, but I'd never even looked at a Kimber before, I just see the big number hanging from the trigger guard and avert my eyes...I'm not worthy...but when he handed me that gun to have a look at, it was another one of those moments. Such a beautifully made weapon, just clearing it to inspect it closely was a joy. Amazing precision and feels incredible in my hands.

Normally upon liking something that much, I'd want one. But it kinda falls into the same groove as when I bought a pricey B.C. Rich guitar...then realized I'm not THAT good...don't deserve a guitar that nice, it was a waste of money :donno:
A few years ago I shot my buddies Kimber 45. Not sure what model. It had an extremely harsh kick. I didn't like it at all. Maybe the 9 mils are better.

I have a Beretta 92fs. It shoots as smooth as silk with (for me) a perfectly defined trigger pull. It's my baseline for comparing other guns. I shot a glock 38 once and loved that. Might get the 9mm version someday.
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

JFL Live wrote:
A few years ago I shot my buddies Kimber 45. Not sure what model. It had an extremely harsh kick. I didn't like it at all. Maybe the 9 mils are better.
If it was one of their 1911 types that was shaved down to essentials for carry, you gotta expect that.

Elsie rider
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: HD Triglide

Post by Elsie rider »

[/quote]

.[/quote]

I love my Kimber 45 , Ultra Crimson Carry II

I never ran low on 22 ammo...saw what was going on and stocked up...and I NEVER buy ammo at walmart

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

Got a surplus store. Less than 40 bucks for a box of 500 22LR. My new takedown Ruger 22 is a hoot. Fun.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

WHILE AT WALMART YESTERDAY, I PASSED BY THE AMMO CASE. IT WAS FULL OF EVERYTHING ! 50 ROUND BOXES AND BRICKS OF EVERYTHING. OH YEAH, WE HAVE A GLORIOUS NEW PRESIDENT
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

Tbeck wrote:Jeffco, no problems finding any ammo now.
What I did notice was that folks were snapping up ammo, as much as they could get, as soon as it arrived in the stores, which had the outcome of making it appear a shortage existed.
Guy at gander mountain told me they had 2 cases of 22lr come in during the period where the net was full of shortage talk and one person bought it all. So I'm not sure it was anything more than a internet inspired shortage.

I said the same thing a couple years ago...there was no ammo shortage...people were just going crazy buying it THINKING there was an ammo shortage and began hoarding it. Basically the consumers created their own shortage....ammo manufacturers couldn't keep up or at least weren't tooled to handle the demand...now that the consumers have calmed down it's back on the shelves....not because there's more in stock...but because consumers stopped hoarding it. Hell, for that matter...online purchases went through the roof as well...I remember "cheaper than dirt" showing sold out most calibers...

Couple local ammo stores around here had to start rationing it because yeah, some dude would walk in and buy them out as soon as the truck would show up...it was CRAZY.

Kinda goes like this...if every adult US citizen went out and bought a new car/truck today...dealer lots would be empty about an hour after the dealer opened......giving the appearance of a shortage...the feedback loop created would be people would start lining up thinking they better buy one now..car manufacturers would not be able to keep u with the unexpected artificial demand.
-DBTO

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

RoadKing wrote:Got a surplus store. Less than 40 bucks for a box of 500 22LR. My new takedown Ruger 22 is a hoot. Fun.
Yep, same here, RK. Rural farm and hunting areas never seem to be short on ammo. Wonder why that is? :lolfall:
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by lonerider »

My idea of Shangri-la is taking target practice while sitting on your back porch.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by RoadKing »

lonerider wrote:My idea of Shangri-la is taking target practice while sitting on your back porch.
Oh, man! With a 500 yard deep back yard clear to the tree line! Yep!
Signifying nothing”

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

With Mama cooking in the nearby kitchen, I opened the rear window, sighted in on the critter, ...I knew I was wrong when I heard the casing bouncing off the hard wood floor.