Reinstated

Keep it civil
lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Re: Reinstated

Post by lonerider »

jeffcoslacker wrote:
lonerider wrote:They were a couple of years older than the rest of us and had some hair-raising experiences to relate. I thought then, as now, our spoiled youth of today have no idea as to what the real world has in store.
Yup. I had a classmate whose family sent him here to get him outta Nicaragua when they were having their unpleasantness, since he was military-aged far as they were concerned and they'd just come through and take all the boys that were old enough. He was so much more grown-up that the rest of us, and yet the first time it snowed, he was a kid again. He'd never seen the stuff before [emoji2] He had a lot of stories that illustrated how life is cheap in many places other than here... :donno:
The Hungarian classmate went through the uprising against Soviet tanks and troops who brutally crushed the revolt resulting in approx. 2500 Hungarian deaths and 200,000 refugees of which he was one. This was in 1956. The Ukrainian fled Soviet suppression by ethnic Russians and was also granted refugee status.

Damumz
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2017 Road Glide Ultra

Post by Damumz »

One great teacher in high school, history teacher named Mr. Miller. He used to front me the drugs I sold to everybody else....marijuana, mesculine, window pane, hash etc he had it all!! [emoji2]

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club
My Bike: SUZUKI

Post by franktiregod »

Damumz wrote:One great teacher in high school, history teacher named Mr. Miller. He used to front me the drugs I sold to everybody else....marijuana, mesculine, window pane, hash etc he had it all!! [emoji2]

:lmao: :lmao:

Well I have to say that explains a lot.

lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by lonerider »

T, which version of the War of Northern Aggression will you be teaching, do you have a choice, and if you don't will you defy the administration?

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Lonerider, I teach history and there is only one factual version of the civil war.
I know some like to use the statement, war of northern aggression, but that's not factual either.
The south started the war, on false grounds, and in the end lost. It's a great lesson about our government, Constitution, and subversion. Mostly it's a good lesson on the costs of a false narrative.

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Post by tabasco »

Damumz wrote:One great teacher in high school, history teacher named Mr. Miller. He used to front me the drugs I sold to everybody else....marijuana, mesculine, window pane, hash etc he had it all!! [emoji2]
Good Lord

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Post by tabasco »

Tbeck wrote:Lonerider, I teach history and there is only one factual version of the civil war.
I know some like to use the statement, war of northern aggression, but that's not factual either.
The south started the war, on false grounds, and in the end lost. It's a great lesson about our government, Constitution, and subversion. Mostly it's a good lesson on the costs of a false narrative.
Do you ever worry about history getting "lost" for future generations? I know there are factions, mostly leftists that like to revise it.
In my day, a book was a book, and it stayed the way it is. It's mostly data bases now ....

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Tom, no not really. History is a really unique field of study. What I mean is that every "true" history work cites sources, goes through a peer review process, so it's very difficult to publish without really solid facts.
Now the crap they pass off in schools as history is written in textbooks by a bunch of English literature majors who couldn't tell you what countries were on the Axis side. Most history teacher's make sure the shortcomings are addressed.
With that said, NEW artifacts, text, and stuff lost are constantly being discovered that do change what we thought was solid history.
For example we now know that the original inhabitants of the Americas from the north actually lived on a land bridge for some 50k years, long enough for a unique DNA change. They also arrived a good 130k years earlier than thought.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

tabasco wrote: Do you ever worry about history getting "lost" for future generations? I know there are factions, mostly leftists that like to revise it.
In my day, a book was a book, and it stayed the way it is. It's mostly data bases now ....

You post correctly. And The leftists manipulate this "fluid" electronic database to gradually re-write history to forward their Agenda.

There are SO MANY examples of them manipulating history into falsehoods that to post even A FRACTION of their Lies and Half-truths here would take PAGES.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

In the last 70 years the history of the USA HAS been changed.

https://www.prageru.com/courses/history ... atic-party

The whole history of the democratic party has been systematically changed, and it is actually being taught the way the libs are twisting the truth.

In Japan it is being taught that WWII was the result of US aggression and that all of the japanese atrocities are lies. here again history as recent as 75 years ago is being twisted and rewritten.

So it really isn't that hard to rewrite even recent history.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Damumz wrote:
franktiregod wrote: I am surprised a guy your age can still see well enough to post. :fu:
How have you been?

Prescription glasses.....

I retired in June. Life is good. Play golf 4 days a week. Ride the bike a couple hundred miles a week on week days. Take a lot of naps........

U?

Taking naps during the daytime will get old Randy.............When I first retired I religiously took a 20 minute power nap at 1 pm every single day
I was rewarding myself for all those days at work I'd get the droopy eyes at 1:30 :blink: ..took me 7 or 8 years to get over the urge to take a nap in the afternoons....instead now I go for a 20 minute bike ride ( peddle power)
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Herb, I am confused because your link is factual? I am unaware of a different history being taught. Can you provide the school that teaches something different?

The Japanese have ALWAYS taught that the USA was the instigator/aggressors that drew them into WWII. So no revised history.
IF you read up on their reasons for this you'd understand where they are coming from. Technically we did attack them economically which in their eyes, justified the military response.

I am always interested in the revision assertions, but they are rarely based in fact, just someone's feelings

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Tbeck wrote:Herb, I am confused because your link is factual? I am unaware of a different history being taught. Can you provide the school that teaches something different?

The Japanese have ALWAYS taught that the USA was the instigator/aggressors that drew them into WWII. So no revised history.
IF you read up on their reasons for this you'd understand where they are coming from. Technically we did attack them economically which in their eyes, justified the military response.

I am always interested in the revision assertions, but they are rarely based in fact, just someone's feelings
2 things.

1. considering that the vast majority of the people, under 80, don't have a clue about the racist history of the democratic party, it is pretty damn obvious that the history has been CHANGED.

2. no, during and right after the occupation of Japan the true facts were taught. It wasn't until after that things started changing. Just google "japan rewrites history" and you will get over 280,000 hits. Including this about japanese academics trying to get Magraw-Hill to change their text books.

https://mic.com/articles/113424/japan-i ... .ByxvUEY52

Pretty damn obvious that history IS being rewritten, even as we are discussing it.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Herb, actually you are mistaken with regards to Japan and what they are taught. In reality their history is so long that event's of the 20th century rarely get much mention, but they have always taught the US was the aggressor when WWII gets a mention.
Now with regards to Magraw-Hill? They (Japan) have been trying to get a unit on comfort women removed for some time. Not surprising given the subject, and event's surrounding the subject. I am sure we'd do the same if our children read textbooks with unit's covering war crime's committed by US soldier's during war.

As for the democratic party revisions? Sorry bud but just because the vast majority of any group can't or don't care about political history, doesn't equal revision.
Please list the source, be it textbook, history book, etc that says ANYTHING opposite from what your video says? You won't find it because it doesn't exist.
Ronald Reagan famously said, "I didn't leave the democrat's, they left me" when asked why he left the Democrats to become a Republican.
I am still waiting for you to provide the school that presents the Democrats history different?

BoDog
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: None anymore

Post by BoDog »

surely you jest...............

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

Possibly not.....in my High School, the German teacher was having his way with the girls in class. The rest of us wondered why we couldn't get any.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Tbeck wrote:Herb, actually you are mistaken with regards to Japan and what they are taught. In reality their history is so long that event's of the 20th century rarely get much mention, but they have always taught the US was the aggressor when WWII gets a mention.
Now with regards to Magraw-Hill? They (Japan) have been trying to get a unit on comfort women removed for some time. Not surprising given the subject, and event's surrounding the subject. I am sure we'd do the same if our children read textbooks with unit's covering war crime's committed by US soldier's during war.

As for the democratic party revisions? Sorry bud but just because the vast majority of any group can't or don't care about political history, doesn't equal revision.
Please list the source, be it textbook, history book, etc that says ANYTHING opposite from what your video says? You won't find it because it doesn't exist.
Ronald Reagan famously said, "I didn't leave the democrat's, they left me" when asked why he left the Democrats to become a Republican.
I am still waiting for you to provide the school that presents the Democrats history different?
Yeah, right.....

Your belief system is out of kilter....

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Here we go again :lol: . Herb just because you read an editorial, or piece aimed at stirring the pot, doesn't make it so.
The Magraw-Hill story only got traction because some folks started questioning a memorial service, a controversial one that causes embarrassment.
Japan has been teaching that the USA was the aggressors all along. There have been report's on this forever. The problem with unconditional surrender, is that it has to be unconditional, and the loser needs to be held to account.
Germany, Poland, and Russia all teach some interesting versions of history.

My belief systems out of kilter? Why because I investigate, instead of believing anything?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Tbeck wrote:Here we go again :lol: . Herb just because you read an editorial, or piece aimed at stirring the pot, doesn't make it so.
The Magraw-Hill story only got traction because some folks started questioning a memorial service, a controversial one that causes embarrassment.
Japan has been teaching that the USA was the aggressors all along. There have been report's on this forever. The problem with unconditional surrender, is that it has to be unconditional, and the loser needs to be held to account.
Germany, Poland, and Russia all teach some interesting versions of history.

My belief systems out of kilter? Why because I investigate, instead of believing anything?
So, you admit that the japanese have been lying about the history, but claim they have done so since the war. Do you also admit that japanese people have ask McGraw-Hill to change textbooks?

Again, EVERYTHING I have read on the subject says that right after the war they were teaching the truth, after the US occupation ended they started changing what was taught.

So you admit that history taught can be changed, AND is being changed. I am saying that it is being changed right here in the USA, and has been for many years. Find me a school that teaches that the first blacks elected to congress were republicans. Hell, find me a school that teaches that the republican party was started as the anti-slavery party. They didn't even teach that when I was in school.

It isn't always the teaching of untruths that can change people's concept of history, FAILURE to teach facts also changes history. The school system in this country is doing both.

Our schools don't teach the true history of islam or even the truth about it today. Just as I know about the school's failure to teach US history from personal experience I also know about the incorrect history of islam from experience with my granddaughters and what they were/are taught. Here again, they not only teach untruths but fail to teach many of the pertinent facts about it's history and even what it stands for today.

So go ahead and tell the lies about how history not being changed.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Herb, I am going to try to clarify the stuff you're mentioning but a conversation requires your willingness to think about what's being discussed, so here goes.
The Japanese have been teaching WWII from THEIR position all along. In fact you posted and provided a link confirming this.You say it's inaccurate, but in their view it's correct. They consider the USA meddling in their China affair's and stopping oil trade acts of aggression on our part which justified the attack on the USA. We obviously see it differently, but that's not revisionism, it's simply another nation's stance on who started what.
The M-H textbook ADDED a section covering the "pleasure women" which has been a sore subject between China and Japan for a very long time. Obviously forcing foreign women to be pleasure toys for an occupying army isn't something any nation would take pride in advertising. So they have been trying to have this removed from the book. Is it history? Yes it is, but one needs to be mindful of what depth we go with a primary grade student. Does the topic warrant a unit in a child's textbook? Or would it be better to simply mention that atrocities were committed by Japanese soldiers in Chinese forced labor camps against women, and save the specifics for a more age appropriate audience? So they aren't revising, they are attempting to get a political and embarrassing event from that history taken out of a child's textbook. I see both sides of the fight as having merit.
Now as to the anti-slave party. EVERY single school that teaches early American history teaches that, and did when you went to school. They teach about how the Whigs basically came apart leading to the formation of the Republican party which started the muttering from southern stated about leaving the union.
You probably don't recall it because the PARTY wasn't the main focus. The main focus was events leading to the election of Lincoln and the civil war.
NO school that I am familiar with teaches that the first black's elected to Congress were Republican, UNLESS they specifically offer an elective course on black history. It just isn't important to provide that topic in a general American history class.
This next paragraph is where we agree and disagree. I cannot speak for all teacher's of history, but my focus has been to provide a narrative and have the students investigate the FACTS. Kind of steering the students to sources to find the truth. It isn't good enough with modern technology to teach because the kid's can go online and find all kinds of crazy assertions that are different from what I might teach. The focus needs to be on finding sources, but finding credible one's. Teaching the kids can also result in leading them to believe what the teacher says without question. I'm not sure that's a great idea, because different teacher's have varying understanding of historical data.
The reality in most schools are that there simply is not enough time to teach everything from our history. As such teacher's have to pick and choose between those parts or events from our history that will give the students the best foundation of the big concepts. Examples might be; what socio-economic factor's led to the colonies declaring Independence from England, or what social and political differences prompted the civil war...
As you can imagine from those two examples a multitude of different historical topics could be discussed, but not every small piece will be covered. It's simply impossible to do so.
Obviously the more classes on any period or event, the greater the details.