Reinstated

Keep it civil
Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Reinstated

Post by Tbeck »

Well that was a short furlough. There I was making some great plan's for hunting season, and now they're scrapped, lol.
I am going to be teaching middle and high school, American & World. Should be fun...

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Re: Reinstated

Post by tabasco »

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club
My Bike: SUZUKI

Post by franktiregod »

Tell them you are glad because you find the students attractive. bet you get all the hunting time you want after that. [emoji106]

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Post by MattSunn »

Tbeck wrote: American & World.
My two best subjects in HS. Best of luck. [emoji106]

lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by lonerider »

Tbeck wrote:Well that was a short furlough. There I was making some great plan's for hunting season, and now they're scrapped, lol.
I am going to be teaching middle and high school, American & World. Should be fun...
Is there a substantial immigrant population in your school district? How do you handle any non-English speakers in the classroom? When I was in HS many moons ago, we had a Hungarian refugee from the 1956 revolt and a Ukrainian, and both spoke perfect English. They were a couple of years older than the rest of us and had some hair-raising experiences to relate. I thought then, as now, our spoiled youth of today have no idea as to what the real world has in store.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Frank, I have sock's older than my students, Lol and a daughter old enough to be my students mom. I do find their outlook interesting and refreshing but all joking aside never look at them as anything but students.

Lonerider, not really. I teach in a small farm community. Lot's of low socio-economic families. We normally have a foreign exchange student or two. We have on occasion had students who are non-english language learner's, but normally by the time they reach me they have a good grasp of English. Much of what I teach has a reading, writing, and vocab component to it.
Being a farm community gives the students a better grasp of real life. That said they're far more spoiled than kid's in my day.
I had a foreign exchange student a couple years back who's hand writing was pure art, beautiful to see.

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club

Post by franktiregod »

Tbeck wrote:Frank, I have sock's older than my students, Lol and a daughter old enough to be my students mom. I do find their outlook interesting and refreshing but all joking aside never look at them as anything but students.

:lmao:

Look I am trying to help. Do you want time off for hunting or not? [emoji2]

I had a supervisor threaten to send me home once. I laughed. The next day I said, "Karl, just so you know, sending me home on a 70 degree day when my bike is right out front isnt really a punishment. Making me stay here is punishment.

He laughed and said, "Fuck you, Frank"

Damumz
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2017 Road Glide Ultra

Post by Damumz »

Shouldn't a guy your age be retired?? :blink: You can hunt, ride your bike...hell do anything you want on any day!

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

Post by DevilsFan »

franktiregod wrote:Tell them you are glad because you find the students attractive. bet you get all the hunting time you want after that. [emoji106]

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

Post by DevilsFan »

T...congrats on getting back in the classroom!

I love teaching history to my 5th graders. Unfortunately, the school district allows us :15 minutes to teach Social Studies. Fortunately, my students get a teacher who doesn't give a shit what the district says! :evil:

Last year I decided to begin the year with a lesson in the Presidential Election. Over the course of the month I had the students totally involved in the election process, the backgrounds of the candidates and their stance on the issues.
We started by a poll of who would support what candidate. At the time I had 22 students. All but three hated Trump with the typical reasons at the time (racist, sexist, rich, etc...).
I gave them material to read regarding the top 15 issues being discussed and the views from all of the candidates. But I didn't tell them who said what. They had to research and check on their packets who they agreed with more, Candidate A, B, C or D.
At the end of this block all but 2 were in favor of Donald Trump!!! (The other 2 were for Hillary. None for Stein or Johnson.

I would spend an hour some days having great discussion with these kids. They really got into it.

So, good luck to another year for ya! :cheers:
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Randy, yep and I am. The teacher thing is a hobby. When I stop enjoying it and/or the students are not benefiting, I'll call it quits.
Wife has 4 more year's and I will likely give it up when she retires

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Post by tabasco »

Tbeck wrote:Frank, I have sock's older than my students, Lol and a daughter old enough to be my students mom. I do find their outlook interesting and refreshing but all joking aside never look at them as anything but students.
I'm the same way. When I walk around the streets lunchtime, and see cute young girls showing their wears in the summer, my brain never clicks the "on" switch, i just think, "they're younger than my sons".

I also think they'd laugh at an old bald guy, anyway.

Going now to see my grandaughter, can't wait, she's 14 months.

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club

Post by franktiregod »

Damumz wrote:Shouldn't a guy your age be retired?? :blink: You can hunt, ride your bike...hell do anything you want on any day!
I am surprised a guy your age can still see well enough to post. :fu:
How have you been?

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club

Post by franktiregod »

DevilsFan wrote:T...congrats on getting back in the classroom!

I love teaching history to my 5th graders. Unfortunately, the school district allows us :15 minutes to teach Social Studies. Fortunately, my students get a teacher who doesn't give a shit what the district says! :evil:

Last year I decided to begin the year with a lesson in the Presidential Election. Over the course of the month I had the students totally involved in the election process, the backgrounds of the candidates and their stance on the issues.
We started by a poll of who would support what candidate. At the time I had 22 students. All but three hated Trump with the typical reasons at the time (racist, sexist, rich, etc...).
I gave them material to read regarding the top 15 issues being discussed and the views from all of the candidates. But I didn't tell them who said what. They had to research and check on their packets who they agreed with more, Candidate A, B, C or D.
At the end of this block all but 2 were in favor of Donald Trump!!! (The other 2 were for Hillary. None for Stein or Johnson.

I would spend an hour some days having great discussion with these kids. They really got into it.

So, good luck to another year for ya! :cheers:

I had a teacher like that, Mr. Harper. I learned more in his 6th grade class about real life than I did in any of the others. I still have great respect for him to this day. He made you THINK about what was going on. It was a great experience.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Frank, I had two; Mr. Garthwate, and Mr. Lawrence. Completely different teaching techniques, but they made learning interesting and relevant. They key was making me think and reason it out for myself. They call it critical thinking today, Lol. I have been criticized by many a student for not "telling them." I love when they get back to me a year or two later to inform me that they now understand what I was making them do. Thinking!

Damumz
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 2017 Road Glide Ultra

Post by Damumz »

franktiregod wrote: I am surprised a guy your age can still see well enough to post. :fu:
How have you been?

Prescription glasses.....

I retired in June. Life is good. Play golf 4 days a week. Ride the bike a couple hundred miles a week on week days. Take a lot of naps........

U?

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club

Post by franktiregod »

Tbeck wrote:Frank, I had two; Mr. Garthwate, and Mr. Lawrence. Completely different teaching techniques, but they made learning interesting and relevant. They key was making me think and reason it out for myself. They call it critical thinking today, Lol. I have been criticized by many a student for not "telling them." I love when they get back to me a year or two later to inform me that they now understand what I was making them do. Thinking!
Thats exactly it. Make them learn to think and figure it out. That pays great dividends later in life.

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club

Post by franktiregod »

Damumz wrote:
franktiregod wrote: I am surprised a guy your age can still see well enough to post. :fu:
How have you been?

Prescription glasses.....

I retired in June. Life is good. Play golf 4 days a week. Ride the bike a couple hundred miles a week on week days. Take a lot of naps........

U?

Well before you are dead I would like to get out there for a ride. [emoji2]

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

lonerider wrote:
Tbeck wrote:They were a couple of years older than the rest of us and had some hair-raising experiences to relate. I thought then, as now, our spoiled youth of today have no idea as to what the real world has in store.
Yup. I had a classmate whose family sent him here to get him outta Nicaragua when they were having their unpleasantness, since he was military-aged far as they were concerned and they'd just come through and take all the boys that were old enough. He was so much more grown-up that the rest of us, and yet the first time it snowed, he was a kid again. He'd never seen the stuff before [emoji2] He had a lot of stories that illustrated how life is cheap in many places other than here... :donno:

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

The best teachers I had in High School, engaged us as though we were a little smarter than we thought we were...with material that you could not find in any text book...and held such info out as perhaps top secret that only certain students got to learn. Well, only the ones that got to be in that 'teacher's class! My graphic arts teacher (print shop) taught us by putting us to work printing up everything that the school district needed in bulk. He treated us as employees....and we thrived on the challenge. He loved to call us all Bone Headed Reptiles....an epithet we wore with much pride. Hail to the teachers who can make their students feel proud!