Serendipitous

Keep it civil
BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Re: Serendipitous

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

jeffcoslacker wrote:
BlacktopTravelr wrote:I don't think it's job is to attract then, just kill them. Or did I read that post wrong? :Umm: [space] :soda:
The blue/purple light is supposed to be a calibrated wavelength that appeals to many pest insects. But not these little bastiges I got, apparently. In reviews people said same, didn't do shit inside, but put it outside and it kills them by the ton. Go figure.
A blue/purple light? Where did that come from? ;IDunno: [space] :bang:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote:
BlacktopTravelr wrote:I don't think it's job is to attract then, just kill them. Or did I read that post wrong? :Umm: [space] :soda:
The blue/purple light is supposed to be a calibrated wavelength that appeals to many pest insects. But not these little bastiges I got, apparently. In reviews people said same, didn't do shit inside, but put it outside and it kills them by the ton. Go figure.
A blue/purple light? Where did that come from? ;IDunno: [space] :bang:
Look at the package pic. At the base of the grid is several blue/purple/UV LEDs for luring them into the grid. The rounded bottom section is the white light section, like a regular bulb's output. You can run it in purely bug zap mode, with just the grid and the UV live, or with the white light on too. It has some kind of circuit that switches modes each time you flip the switch its on.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Heck, I just took a quick look at it and thought it was a bug light. :bang:

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

I have bought bug zappers at Wal-Mart and Hme Depot here in Texas within the last few years. I saw them out on display this season too.
Arthritis sucks!

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Forge wrote:I have bought bug zappers at Wal-Mart and Hme Depot here in Texas within the last few years. I saw them out on display this season too.
Yeah I mean I know you can still buy them, but it's not like many years ago when it seemed like everybody had them. And a big nasty one that explodes them on contact didn't seem to be a good solution indoors...this was the right idea, just don't understand why they are avoiding it with a vengeance. Like the reviews say, I tried it outside last night and the bugs couldn't wait to get in there and die. But these fuckers in my trailer ain't fallin' for it. :bang:

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

jeffcoslacker wrote:
But these fuckers in my trailer ain't fallin' for it. :bang:

Amazon...
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

JFL Live wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote:
But these fuckers in my trailer ain't fallin' for it. :bang:

Amazon...
We have one of those at work. They are cheap at Harbor Freight.

Put a 9v in it. WooHoo! Tazer! I thought it would cook it, but not so far...got a helluva pop.

I don't have room to swing it in the trailer...I'd be breakin' shit. :donno:

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

jeffcoslacker wrote:

Good point! [emoji2]

We've been having a problem with tiny moths flying around the patio. Not sure how they get in but they drive Mrs JFL nuts. Never occurred to me to get an indoor zapper till I saw this thread. So I went ahead and ordered this. I'm actually looking forward to having a drink and watching bugs get zapped! :lolfall:

Amazon
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

JFL Live wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote:

Good point! [emoji2]

We've been having a problem with tiny moths flying around the patio. Not sure how they get in but they drive Mrs JFL nuts. Never occurred to me to get an indoor zapper till I saw this thread. So I went ahead and ordered this. I'm actually looking forward to having a drink and watching bugs get zapped! :lolfall:

Amazon
wish I'd bought that...twice as much but would probably actually WORK... :bang:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Redneck saturday night, a 6 pack and a bug zapper light.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Do any of those bug zappers work to get rid of common house flies? That's about the only flying pest I have and I don't have many of them. Now I have plenty of fleas due to the dog dragging them in when she goes outside. They are driving me nuts they are so bad. :bang:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:Do any of those bug zappers work to get rid of common house flies? That's about the only flying pest I have and I don't have many of them. Now I have plenty of fleas due to the dog dragging them in when she goes outside. They are driving me nuts they are so bad. :bang:
Do you use some kind of flea and tick control on her? They work well ya know. You can buy good ones OTC now, so you don't gotta get jacked by the vet.

I find flypaper works fine for flies. Trick is, I found, that it takes forever to get started. But once somebody is first to the party, everybody wants to check it out. So I stun one and stick it on the new roll. Seriously, it works.

Fleas are often attracted to light/heat in the dark. Flypaper near the floor with a small light in front of it will attract them.

But once you put some preventative stuff on the dog, all your fleas should die out pretty quickly.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

My big tom cat loves to fight and has lost the last three pull away flea collars in a week or less each one. Wife saw small push out pills when looking at pet stuff and tried a box.Less than $3 and so far they work! A month now and two pills of the six used.Use as needed on box and well worth the try so far! She mixes one in food he likes and no trouble. :cheers:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

When I was in North Carolina I moved into a mobile home that had been empty and used for storage, for over 5 years. Got all the junk out of it, cleaned it good and moved in. The first night there I was sitting on the sofa and felt something on my leg. Pulled up the trouser leg and my leg was covered in fleas. Got to looking and there were fleas all through the carpet even though I had just shampooed it.

Ask around and people told me that mothballs/crystals would get rid of them. I bought some of each, threw a bunch of mothballs under the place, and sprinkled the crystals all over the carpet, couldn't stand to be in the place more than a few minutes, for 4 days. Slept in the truck. But after closing it up for 2 days and airing it out for 2 days, no more fleas or bugs of any kind.

Found out that if I threw a few mothballs under the place every 2-3 months I didn't have any trouble with bugs at all.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

Herb wrote:When I was in North Carolina I moved into a mobile home that had been empty and used for storage, for over 5 years. Got all the junk out of it, cleaned it good and moved in. The first night there I was sitting on the sofa and felt something on my leg. Pulled up the trouser leg and my leg was covered in fleas. Got to looking and there were fleas all through the carpet even though I had just shampooed it.

Ask around and people told me that mothballs/crystals would get rid of them. I bought some of each, threw a bunch of mothballs under the place, and sprinkled the crystals all over the carpet, couldn't stand to be in the place more than a few minutes, for 4 days. Slept in the truck. But after closing it up for 2 days and airing it out for 2 days, no more fleas or bugs of any kind.

Found out that if I threw a few mothballs under the place every 2-3 months I didn't have any trouble with bugs at all.
Interesting... [emoji106]

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

jeffcoslacker wrote:
BlacktopTravelr wrote:Do any of those bug zappers work to get rid of common house flies? That's about the only flying pest I have and I don't have many of them. Now I have plenty of fleas due to the dog dragging them in when she goes outside. They are driving me nuts they are so bad. :bang:
Do you use some kind of flea and tick control on her? They work well ya know. You can buy good ones OTC now, so you don't gotta get jacked by the vet.

I find flypaper works fine for flies. Trick is, I found, that it takes forever to get started. But once somebody is first to the party, everybody wants to check it out. So I stun one and stick it on the new roll. Seriously, it works.

Fleas are often attracted to light/heat in the dark. Flypaper near the floor with a small light in front of it will attract them.

But once you put some preventative stuff on the dog, all your fleas should die out pretty quickly.
Now that you mention it I remember the old flea traps using the nite light and sticky paper. I'll have to put some of that down and buy some of the fly trap sticky rolls you hang up. That should do the trick. The dog has just now started getting the fleas real back so no I haven't been using a flea collar or spray on her. I'm not all that happy about using chemicals on her. I read on the internet where lavender was a good flea repellent and how to make it myself so it is safe to spray on the dog and her bedding. :clap:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote:

Now that you mention it I remember the old flea traps using the nite light and sticky paper. I'll have to put some of that down and buy some of the fly trap sticky rolls you hang up. That should do the trick. The dog has just now started getting the fleas real back so no I haven't been using a flea collar or spray on her. I'm not all that happy about using chemicals on her. I read on the internet where lavender was a good flea repellent and how to make it myself so it is safe to spray on the dog and her bedding. :clap:
Flea collars are the biggest joke ever...never did work, and never will. You need something like Frontline that short-circuits the flea and tick repro cycle. Only way to get rid of them for good. You can buy it and knock-offs that work well at the store now.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

jeffcoslacker wrote: Flea collars are the biggest joke ever...never did work, and never will. You need something like Frontline that short-circuits the flea and tick repro cycle. Only way to get rid of them for good. You can buy it and knock-offs that work well at the store now.
I tried that Frontline stuff once on my little dogs and it almost killed my Chihuahuas. We had to take them to the vet and he said not to ever use that stuff as it was nothing but poison to dogs. :OhNo;

What I think I am going to do is make my own flea collar out of a bandanna and lavender oil mixed with water.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road

Post by jeffcoslacker »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:
jeffcoslacker wrote: Flea collars are the biggest joke ever...never did work, and never will. You need something like Frontline that short-circuits the flea and tick repro cycle. Only way to get rid of them for good. You can buy it and knock-offs that work well at the store now.
I tried that Frontline stuff once on my little dogs and it almost killed my Chihuahuas. We had to take them to the vet and he said not to ever use that stuff as it was nothing but poison to dogs. :OhNo;

What I think I am going to do is make my own flea collar out of a bandanna and lavender oil mixed with water.
Well there is caveats about using too little or too much, yeah. It's explained in the instructions. My mom has three little dogs and splits one of the small dog doses between all of them. You're supposed to apply it where they can't reach it until it sets in but I guess if you have several dogs they might lick it off each other.

Either way, I haven't seen a dog have any reaction to it, but the heartworm meds that are like a little treat they eat I have seen some dogs get strangely lethargic and almost like in a trance, kind of withdrawn and vague after taking it. I use Frontline and stuff like it without any reservations, but that stuff I wonder about. Anyway it's not really necessary in my area and the level of interaction she has with other dogs (none) so I skip that part. But I will not tolerate fleas or ticks. Both can be a serious health issue for your dog AND you.

If I remember right, Frontline causes a birth defect of a sort in fleas and ticks, that interferes with the development of the mouth parts that suck blood, rendering them incapable of using it to fertilize eggs, which is the goal...so the generation you got will not reproduce, then they are incapable of breeding any more, and it's over.