Right To Bear Arms - Can an ex-felon get it back??

Keep it civil
BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Re: Right To Bear Arms - Can an ex-felon get it back??

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

lonerider wrote:Tbeck and others have already made similar comments, but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in:

The Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The words "shall not be infringed" couldn't be any clearer and are unambiguous. An infringement is a limitation of ANY KIND to include carry permits, age restrictions, gun free zones, capacity restrictions, etc. and as such are UNCONSTITUTIONAL.
I agree brother. Will keep posted

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

lonerider wrote:Tbeck and others have already made similar comments, but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in:

The Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The words "shall not be infringed" couldn't be any clearer and are unambiguous. An infringement is a limitation of ANY KIND to include carry permits, age restrictions, gun free zones, capacity restrictions, etc. and as such are UNCONSTITUTIONAL.
The second amendment was written so plainly a third grader can read it and understand it, but yet we have a congress and SCOTUS that ignores plain simple English.
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

I agree that the Constitution/ BoR is being ignored/circumvented.
So what are you going to do about it?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Yeah,...I hear ya,....what are YOU doing about it?

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Well for starters I vote. I also lobby, attend Town Halls, sign petitions, and educate the public.
In addition I take every opportunity to exercise my rights. For example our local council and mayor passed an ordinance to prevent carry in our main city park/square. We organized a rally in said Park and forced the police to act on said ordinance. The cases then had to be elevated to the state Supreme Court who ruled the cities ordinance was not enforceable as it was in conflict with the BoR and state Constitution.

That's what "I" do. So what do YOU do?

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Tbeck wrote:I agree that the Constitution/ BoR is being ignored/circumvented.
So what are you going to do about it?
I'm not doing a thing about it as I'm a felon, a non-violent felon, but a felon non the less. Tbeck, you being the educated man you are you should know that no democratic government has ever lasted more than 250 years. It has been written and our founding fathers knew that a democracy would never last so that is why they made the United States a republic.
There has been a historical writing floating around for a number of years on principles that were well known to our founders, which is:

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: "From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage."
We as a nation are headed back to bondage at a pace far faster than anyone realizes.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

BT, yes I am familiar with the passage you posted. Now do we do as the quoted piece suggests and sheepishly wander towards the end?
Jefferson said it would take a revolution every 5-10 year's to maintain the republic. He wasn't talking about taking up arm's, but rather a revolution at the ballot box. He wrote and understood that parties would divide the people, and with them the nation. So what he was saying was that the people would need to swap out the government representation, a revolution of sorts as people would need to set partisanship aside for the betterment of the whole.
We don't have to travel the path suggested. Particularly in this age of technology, a movement to vote out incumbents, all incumbents, is easily communicated/organized.
Of course that would require folk's to set aside party and frankly I don't think that we are wise enough as a people to recognize our FAILURE in civic responsibility.

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

We have the opportunity to overthrow the government every four years....well, two years, six years....and sometimes we do. The pendulum swings one side to another repeatedly.....it's supposed to. The middle will never and never should have much traction. Wishy washiness is never effective for very long.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Tbeck wrote:Well for starters I vote. I also lobby, attend Town Halls, sign petitions, and educate the public.
In addition I take every opportunity to exercise my rights. For example our local council and mayor passed an ordinance to prevent carry in our main city park/square. We organized a rally in said Park and forced the police to act on said ordinance. The cases then had to be elevated to the state Supreme Court who ruled the cities ordinance was not enforceable as it was in conflict with the BoR and state Constitution.

I'd love to do stuff like this. First step; i believe for me.. Would be getting my issue cleaned up. Otherwise; i'm just looking for more trouble.. in their eyes.
I'll hit this guy up again monday to see if he's gotten my message and/or has time for me anytime soon.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Tbeck wrote:BT, yes I am familiar with the passage you posted. Now do we do as the quoted piece suggests and sheepishly wander towards the end?
Jefferson said it would take a revolution every 5-10 year's to maintain the republic. He wasn't talking about taking up arm's, but rather a revolution at the ballot box. He wrote and understood that parties would divide the people, and with them the nation. So what he was saying was that the people would need to swap out the government representation, a revolution of sorts as people would need to set partisanship aside for the betterment of the whole.
We don't have to travel the path suggested. Particularly in this age of technology, a movement to vote out incumbents, all incumbents, is easily communicated/organized.
Of course that would require folk's to set aside party and frankly I don't think that we are wise enough as a people to recognize our FAILURE in civic responsibility.
T, I like to read your response to questions asked, because most of the time you give good answers full of information. those other times you give answers that make me wonder where your head is. This response belongs to the first group.

Now my response to your post would be narrow minded an usual. We as a nation have a hard road ahead of us and I'm not sure the people are willing to do what needs to be done. We showed it was possible by putting Trump in office and saying no to Hillary and her bunch. But with Hillary the people could plainly see where having her in office would take this country. I doubt if the people have yet seen the writing on the wall when it comes to the future of this once great nation. Too many people are still willing to be led around by the government, the news media and a bunch of self-centered Hollywood loudmouths that have their eyes closed to what is going on around them.

Personally, I think Jefferson got it wrong and we are going to need and see a real revolt with lots of people getting hurt and killed to get our country back under control of "We The People" and under the constitution and BoR's like it should be. Our constitution and BoR's is what sets this country apart from the rest of the world and what has happened to democratic countries that came before us. That and the fact that we are a republic that is supposed to be ruled by the people. We have sat on our hands long enough and let the government do as it pleases way, way too long. Time to take back America from an overbearing government that doesn't care about the people that sent them to Washington to represent the people. I do not want to see how bad it can get as my grandson grows up in this mess we call America, Land of the free, home of the brave.

Ok, I almost fell off my soapbox :soapbox: with that long winded and needless post. :lolfall:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Lonerider, it swing's a LITTLE, but not enough to make real change happen. Ask yourself this SIMPLE question; how many Rep's & senator's are on a second term or more?
That should NEVER happen!
It ONLY happens because voter's FOOLISHLY align themselves with a false narrative from a PARTY. The PARTY is ONLY interested in CONTROL, and not the interests of the people.
I've said this before, we need to engage a campaign nationally with the objective of voting out EVERY incumbent, EVERY election, for the next 8 year's. If we did so the PARTY and special interests would all vanish. There is NO benefit to investing in politicians who won't be in office long enough to do anything but pass a budget.

BT, thank you. I don't believe for a second that an armed Resurrection will ever occur in our nation. I am afraid that ANY change will have to occur at the ballot.
On those occasions when you think my reply indicates that I've lost my mind? You are most likely misenterpretting something I've written, or I simply didn't make my point very clear. Ask me...

Bronx, hopefully this will get fixed for you

VRH
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: VS1400GLP - VL1500 C90T

Post by VRH »

Tbeck wrote:Well for starters I vote. I also lobby, attend Town Halls, sign petitions, and educate the public.

Tbeck, You attended the Rally in Erie, PA?

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Always do VRH. It's an annual event.

Wanted to add that I am not always in agreement with what some get up to at it. One of those cause you can doesn't mean you should.

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

The North Carolina House passed, 65 to 54, a constitutional carry law (permitless concealed carry for qualifying citizens) in June. Open carry is already legal. I predict this bill won't go to the state senate for a while though. We'll need a veto-proof majority since Pat McCrory - the first Republican to be elected governor in NC since 1973 - was defeated last election.

Supporting constitutional carry is a one of the best ways to fight the erosion of our second amendment rights, in my opinion. The Supreme Court has not yet addressed whether citizens have a constitutional right to carry a weapon in public (concealed or open-carry) to ensure their safety. This trend of states passing constitutional carry laws is a movement with purpose. Open and concealed carry needs to be common place. This will make it increasingly difficult for the question of whether citizens have a right to carry in public to ever come before the supreme court. I don't want the supreme court to rule on that question.

Strict gun control laws do not correlate with decreased violence, but have the opposite affect (Chicago is exhibit A). They hamper the ability of law-abiding citizens to defend themselves and their families. So far, over 20 sates already have or are planning to introduce legislation that adopts some form of constitutional carry. Fifteen years ago there were only two! It's a good thing.
lovineveryminuteofit

VRH
Got My M1 License!

Post by VRH »

Tbeck wrote:Always do VRH. It's an annual event.

Wanted to add that I am not always in agreement with what some get up to at it. One of those cause you can doesn't mean you should.
Very cool! A tip of the hat to you. Were you one of the people who got "summoned"?

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

VRH, no I didn't. I have a parking lot a few blocks from the park that the owner allows me to use when I am downtown (all metered parking around park). So my plates weren't where the cop's were.
The cops weren't happy with the process either. I know most and they didn't like having to take down plates.
In the end the SC of PA sided with those opposing the mayor's office. It's an even bigger gathering since.

VRH
Got My M1 License!

Post by VRH »

Ha! That was fortunate! :cheers:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

VRH, PA law prevents cities, boroughs, etc from imposing gun restrictions in conflict with state law. So it was really a no brainer. PA is also a "Must Issue" state for CCW. So unless you are expressly denied the right to purchase/own a weapon, they must issue a permit. PA law makes no mention of open carry which has been interpreted to mean allowed.

Gun laws are pretty stupid when you look at them. For example I couldn't put a hunting rifle in my vehicle and park my vehicle on school grounds for hunting after work. However I can walk through school grounds carrying a loaded rifle in route to hunt.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Tbeck wrote:VRH, PA law prevents cities, boroughs, etc from imposing gun restrictions in conflict with state law. So it was really a no brainer. PA is also a "Must Issue" state for CCW. So unless you are expressly denied the right to purchase/own a weapon, they must issue a permit. PA law makes no mention of open carry which has been interpreted to mean allowed.

Gun laws are pretty stupid when you look at them. For example I couldn't put a hunting rifle in my vehicle and park my vehicle on school grounds for hunting after work. However I can walk through school grounds carrying a loaded rifle in route to hunt.
That's amazing. Back in NY; they want to empy a clip in you for anything that may be imagined to be a weapon. It's retarded over there and so glad to be away from all the nonsense.

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 03 FXDWG

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

Might want to look into "antique" black powder. Feds don't consider it a firearm if the design is from before 1870(?) Not sure the exact year. Then it comes down to state by state.

My mother in law lives in PA so I looked theirs up a while back, don't remember exactly I looked at a bunch of different State's laws. iirc PA is pretty lenient about that. MI (where I live) I'm kind of stuck in one of those grey areas. I have a "high court" misdemeanor for having a loaded gun in my glove box from 20 years ago. I would be free and clear for that (obviously) but I picked up a stupid nonviolent felony two years later for having a court appointed attorney.

How it gets confusing is I'd be automatically ok for black powder from the felony after 10 years free from probation. But the misdemeanor is considered a felony because I got in trouble again. Since it had tondo with firearms I'd have to petition and go before a ccw board. I can do that at any time. And if they refuse I can repetition after a year. For as many years as it takes for them to allow it, or for me to give up. I haven't bothered, yet.
:evil: [emoji56]

I have a lot of opinions, some of them professional, some of them educated, most of them I just pulled out of my @$$

Some of my best stupidity is largely self-inflicted. :roll: