Right To Bear Arms - Can an ex-felon get it back??

Keep it civil
Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Re: Right To Bear Arms - Can an ex-felon get it back??

Post by Tbeck »

Fred, some folks just like shooting, targets, critter's, etc. It's like any leisure activity.

lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by lonerider »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:It is my opinion that if a person once convicted of a crime and does all the courts ask then his rights, all his rights, should be given back to him/her. Once upon a time we gave men getting out of jail/prison their guns back and their horses if they didn't eat them. Sure the times were different then, but the guns weren't a necessity to living in society. If a person can't be trusted with a gun or shows that he/she can't be trusted with a gun then that person does not need to be out in society. Put the untrustworthy people away and no need to ban guns to law abiding people who have broken no laws. :soda: [space] :XmasTree: [space] :rag:
Do you feel the same way about sex offenders? Theoretically, after a sex offender serves his time, he should have all rights restored rather than spend the rest of his life on an offender register. That's a tough one, eh?

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

lonerider wrote:
BlacktopTravelr wrote:It is my opinion that if a person once convicted of a crime and does all the courts ask then his rights, all his rights, should be given back to him/her. Once upon a time we gave men getting out of jail/prison their guns back and their horses if they didn't eat them. Sure the times were different then, but the guns weren't a necessity to living in society. If a person can't be trusted with a gun or shows that he/she can't be trusted with a gun then that person does not need to be out in society. Put the untrustworthy people away and no need to ban guns to law abiding people who have broken no laws. :soda: [space] :XmasTree: [space] :rag:
Do you feel the same way about sex offenders? Theoretically, after a sex offender serves his time, he should have all rights restored rather than spend the rest of his life on an offender register. That's a tough one, eh?
I really don't see a sex offender changing their ways so my opinion is a sex offender, depending on the offence, shouldn't be let out of jail, nor should a murderer, child molester, a cop killer or a number of other violent offenders.
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

If the debt is paid to society and the individual is released from prison, that's it and all rights should be restored, or rather they should resume.

This is the mess we've created by skirting around the Constitution and proper application of law. When you allow restrictions to be applied after the sentence is served, the sentence wasn't really served because it's ongoing.
BT, you are correct. If still a danger/threat to society, the warden actually should be retaining the convict, even though the sentence was served. There is a high court ruling/opinion on this.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

A leopard dont change its spots. Punishment does not change the way you think,-- just makes you more careful next time.

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

lonerider wrote:
Not quite an apples to apples comparison. For the purposes of constitutional rights, like voting, they do get them back.

Having to be on a registry doesn't seem to violate or nullify any right as I understand it.

But I haven't put any real thought into it either.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Jeffco, yah it violates a number of rights to include freely come and go.

Fred, no we aren't going to rehabilitate most. Last numbers I saw said 70+ won't stay out of prison.
What's the alternative?

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Tbeck wrote:Jeffco, yah it violates a number of rights to include freely come and go.

Fred, no we aren't going to rehabilitate most. Last numbers I saw said 70+ won't stay out of prison.
What's the alternative?
Simple ---wanna know.?

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Got a Few idea's Fred, but we already have problems with folk's believing penalties are too extreme.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

lonerider wrote:
Not to me, same thing, if he/she isn't capable of being a good citizen, they should not be on the street.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Herb wrote:
lonerider wrote:
Not to me, same thing, if he/she isn't capable of being a good citizen, they should not be on the street.
Bravo :clap:

Many people die every day that just don't deserve it. How about adding a few to that very large list some that do deserve it.

And yes,-- ille pull the fucking lever for free. :evil: God will love me for it. he loves killing.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Fred wrote:
Herb wrote:
lonerider wrote:

Many people die every day that just don't deserve it. How about adding a few to that very large list some that do deserve it.

And yes,-- ille pull the fucking lever for free. :evil: God will love me for it. he loves killing.
Where the hell did that come from?

I am beginning to think that you belong in an asylum, always changing the subject or trying to find something that isn't there. Either your reading comprehension sucks, you are deliberately being an ass, or you are mentally ill. Nothing else makes sense.

Liberalism is a mental illness, so it appears that the last option is the most viable.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Herb wrote:
Fred wrote:
Herb wrote:
lonerider wrote:

Where the hell did that come from?

I am beginning to think that you belong in an asylum, always changing the subject or trying to find something that isn't there. Either your reading comprehension sucks, you are deliberately being an ass, or you are mentally ill. Nothing else makes sense.

Liberalism is a mental illness, so it appears that the last option is the most viable.
Is it difficult--try to let your brain wander a bit and realize many things inter twine with others. To make it simple for you try talking about shooting a gun without talking about bullets.

Have you ever tried pushing butter up a Porcupines arse with a red hot poker. That what its like talking to you.

Your senility is really setting in early man --can you smell onions.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

freddie, if your schools had taught spelling, punctuation, word meaning, reading comprehension and english composition, you failed to learn them along with geography..

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Herb wrote:freddie, if your schools had taught spelling, punctuation, word meaning, reading comprehension and english composition, you failed to learn them along with geography..
Crikey we have shifted to English education now WTF I cant keep up with all this swapping subject.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Fred wrote:
Herb wrote:freddie, if your schools had taught spelling, punctuation, word meaning, reading comprehension and english composition, you failed to learn them along with geography..
Crikey we have shifted to English education now WTF I cant keep up with all this swapping subject.
You are the one that can't carry on a reasonable discussion because you don't seem to have any kind of ability in those areas. Maybe some education would enable you to carry on a reasonable discussion.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Herb wrote:
Fred wrote:
You are the one that can't carry on a reasonable discussion because you don't seem to have any kind of ability in those areas. Maybe some education would enable you to carry on a reasonable discussion.
Well that is your opinion and fortunately that is all it is.

I always thought how wonderfull the human race would be with inherited knowledge, but with you it would not make any difference.

Prodigal_Sun
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 03 FXDWG

Post by Prodigal_Sun »

Fred wrote:A leopard dont change its spots. Punishment does not change the way you think,-- just makes you more careful next time.
People can change the way they think. You never changed your mind about something? They certainly can change the choices they make.
:evil: [emoji56]

I have a lot of opinions, some of them professional, some of them educated, most of them I just pulled out of my @$$

Some of my best stupidity is largely self-inflicted. :roll:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Fred wrote:A leopard dont change its spots. Punishment does not change the way you think,-- just makes you more careful next time.
Wrong again Freddy. You get caught enough and you start to change the way you see and do things, at least some people do. I know first hand that the threat of punishment was enough to change the way I did things, especially about the drinking and driving thing. Now I never had a wreck involving someone else while drinking and driving, but I did have a few while sober. :bang: but I thank God for that everyday and I've been sober since 8/18/03.
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:
Wrong again Freddy. You get caught enough and you start to change the way you see and do things, at least some people do. I know first hand that the threat of punishment was enough to change the way I did things, especially about the drinking and driving thing. Now I never had a wreck involving someone else while drinking and driving, but I did have a few while sober. :bang: but I thank God for that everyday and I've been sober since 8/18/03.
I was referring to bank robbers and rapist not alcohol abuse, but yes you can include yourself if you have been imprisoned more than once for the same offence.

Punishment does not change the way you think,