The thrill is gone

Keep it civil
franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club
My Bike: SUZUKI

Re: The thrill is gone

Post by franktiregod »

Good one Cuban. :cheers:

As for riding I know a few who gave it up. Several bought convertibles. I dont see me ever giving it up but then I didnt see me reaching a point where I just didnt care to dig old cars out of the woods anymore either. I still do, just not with the enthusiasm I used to do it. ALL I want to do now is ride. But in 25 years, who knows?

Do what you feel is right for you.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Mattsunn, might be able to work out a good trade? Might sound stupid to you but have you looked at the African Twin? The seat can be put low and it comes in DCT. You get the optional foot shift lever and ride it in manual mode, no clutch at all. Just another something to consider. I thought 1000cc's was going to lack go, but it's fast!

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Post by MattSunn »

Tim, I like the idea of the Africa Twin, but even with the lower seat height it's still 33.5" and won't work for me. The Z 900 seat height is 31.3 and I can get most of my foot down on both sides plus it's easy to mount and dismount. No DCT, but it's got the lightest clutch I've ever felt. I don't know how they do that with a cable clutch on a powerful bike. Peg position is good, although the Africa Twin is better, more standard. I'm still thinking about it, and the sales guy will discount the bike and give me book on the trade-ins plus a sales tax credit. It sounds attractive, and I know I should cut back, but like a hoarder, it's hard to let go. I'm still considering the Honda CTX 700 with the DCT also. If the used bike market was better in my area, I would have half of them sold by now and wouldn't be thinking in this direction. ;IDunno:

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

MattSunn wrote:I think I may getting over this motorcycle thing. ;IDunno: I'm kind of ambivalent about it this year. I really don't want to work on them anymore and I have zero desire to take any long trips on one. I find I'm forcing myself to ride because I'm invested. A 100 mile day seems to beat the crap outta me and my hands are getting worse, particularly my clutch hand. I dunno, I had this funk several years ago and only put a total of about 1000 miles on the bikes that year. I'm thinking it may be about time to pack it in and find a new hobby. :bonk:

It's a wonder sometimes the difference in one biker's thinking to another biker , all though in a different part of the country, the way they approach riding... I am just the opposite of you Mattsun....Short rides do not appeal to me as much as longer rides do.....If it weren't for my war department shutting down my long distant rides I'd be gone for 4 months out of the year....
Last 4 day ride in April to the Texas Hill Country covered 1,365 miles and I thought it was really cut short.....It was enjoyable but just not long enough.. [emoji106]
As far as working on them....I'll never become disheartened about taking them apart and putting them back again.....reminds me of my younger years...I remember purchasing two wrecked 883 Harley's and for two years I labored dismantling both and reassembling one to that year model's factory specs.... and came out with a really decent re worked bike [emoji2]
I have a friend who lives about 65 miles from my home and he knows I got the tools to work on bikes and he knows of my love of working on them....he calls and says he needs some help changing this and that, last project was interchanging his handle bars to a different higher height..

Maybe you just need a respite from Motorcycles all together.....I have known a few individuals who have quit cold turkey....sold their bike(s) and never looked back..... some say they don't miss it but everytime they come around to my place they end up sitting on my Ultra.. :eek: [emoji2]
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by MattSunn »

:lmao: "war department" I'm stealing that one Johnny. :lmao:

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by MattSunn »

Just called my ins. co. to get a quote on the Z900. Dang! A little over $1500/yr.! Welp, that one's out. That's about 2 1/2 times what I pay for the other 7 I insure. :lmao: Hell, it's more than I pay to insure, with full coverage, my 2 cars.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

It will be cheap when you get old! :lmao: I get three motorcycles and my old truck cheaper than the wife does one car!
Way back in 1983 they black balled some of the super bikes they called them.My 1983 Suzuki GS1100ES was first big four bike they got in to the 10s in the mags so it was on the list.My Ins man got it some where else after they canceled,but bet it would have been hard to deal with if I had wrecked the thing.Would have though it would not be legal to cancel after payment and three months in but they sent back money and said was legal due to big brother doing the looking in to. :fubird:

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Mattsunn, the African Twin with seat in low position is 32.something, and they have a low seat that drops the seat 1.8... Am I getting it any closer for you??? Lol!!!

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by MattSunn »

Every review, with specs, that I've read says the high position of the seat is 34.3" and the low is 33.5". If it's 32.? and it gets dropped 1.8" lower than that, that's where I need to be. Am I looking at the wrong bike?

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

The AT seat in the upper set is 34 or something like that. Lower set moves it to 33.5 or something, and they have a "low seat" which drops it lower another 1.8 bringing it to 31.7.
Don't know how much this helps you, but a trip to the Honda store might, Lol.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

My contribution to this thread.

[youtube][/youtube]

:naughty: [emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by MattSunn »

Quick update. I've reduced the fleet by two, I purchased something different than my normal bike and I joined a riding club. I'm gonna get rid of the bike I just bought, because, after putting some miles on it, it's just not for me. Can't ride it for more than 30 miles. The riding club helped, so I'm not quite ready to give up riding yet. I think I'm gonna reduce the fleet by two more(my historic and the new bike).

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »

Pics or it didn't happen! :lolfall:

OldCoot
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: SOLD Suzuki S50

Post by OldCoot »

Cuban wrote:Pics or it didn't happen! :lolfall:

^^ +1 ^^

:cheers:
SOLD: 2008 Black Suzuki Boulevard S50

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by MattSunn »

Photobucket has abandoned me, so , given my computer savvy, I can't post pics.(sigh)

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Post by tabasco »

MattSunn wrote: The riding club helped
I loved being in a riding club. We wore a patch but no rocker ... and even then, HA busted our balls and we fell apart.

I'd like to join SSMC, HA leaves 'em alone, but the dues are $65/mo. I'm sure there would be a lot of other costs ... they have a club hou$e.

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by MattSunn »

tabasco wrote:
MattSunn wrote: The riding club helped
I loved being in a riding club. We wore a patch but no rocker ... and even then, HA busted our balls and we fell apart.

I'd like to join SSMC, HA leaves 'em alone, but the dues are $65/mo. I'm sure there would be a lot of other costs ... they have a club hou$e.
They are a good group. Before I left LI, I was gonna join, but my work hours changed and I couldn't make any of the meetings.

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by MattSunn »

Sent you an email.....I think :confused:

wally w
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 1987 VS700

Post by wally w »

I stopped riding because the rewards of riding stopped overcoming the pain of riding.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

wally w wrote:I stopped riding because the rewards of riding stopped overcoming the pain of riding.
Though I understand your reasoning and it makes all good sense,....may I say that I felt sad when I read your Story.

I hope telling of Good Rides and stuff here on The Board doesn't make for sorrow on your part. ;IDunno:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!