The thrill is gone

Keep it civil
BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Re: The thrill is gone

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

I'm sorry to hear this. I always thought any ride, no matter how short, was better than no ride. I'm hoping to get at least two more years riding in. That is why I bought the forward controls off Bronx and have the motorhome to fix up. I'll know more about the forwards tomorrow as I have a 200 mile trip planned. :putput:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Also sorry to hear this Paul. They say your taste changes every 7 years, I know it has been much more than that.
If you are selling, some lucky bastard is going to be perusing a fine collectors collection.

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Post by tabasco »

Tbeck wrote:I ride mostly recreational these days, not much commuting.
I will just go for a putt solo but most of my riding is two up with the Mrs these days. I do thoroughly enjoy our long weekend or week to two week trips, but we never have a place to be, so we ride and sight see, stopping when we want each day.
Maybe you need to do what I did and get off the cruisers? One bike you really want to go out on is better than loads of bikes you aren't wanting to ride.
Just tossing it out there.
I've thought of that. I still have a lot I want to get out of my C90, and I don't think I'll ever sell the VS1400, but I'm thinking my next (will it be the last?) will be a Concourse 1400 or a Goldwing.

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by tabasco »

MattSunn wrote:I think I may getting over this motorcycle thing. ;IDunno: I'm kind of ambivalent about it this year. I really don't want to work on them anymore and I have zero desire to take any long trips on one. I find I'm forcing myself to ride because I'm invested. A 100 mile day seems to beat the crap outta me and my hands are getting worse, particularly my clutch hand. I dunno, I had this funk several years ago and only put a total of about 1000 miles on the bikes that year. I'm thinking it may be about time to pack it in and find a new hobby. :bonk:
Why commit to not riding anymore? Whittle it down to one low-maintenance bike, like I don't know ... a sport tourer ... a beemer or something ... and if you ever get the urge to ride, it will be there. Once a year take it to the shop and go have breakfast while they tune it up.

Kind of like what Tbeck is saying, I guess I didn't really add anything, heh heh.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Tom, going to a sports tour was the best thing I have done with regards to riding, brought the fun back. I can cruise or go balls out through the twisties and they are fairly lite. Can't say it will work out for Paul, but I hope he can find a way to get the fun back in riding. Maybe a nice r1200rs low with saddle bags...

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

We all find that our wants and needs are met in different ways as time goes on. If you find riding feels blah, then don't ride for a while and then when you think you might like to ride, pick a destination that you would enjoy, even if it's an ice cream stand in the next town, and make the ride the only way to get there. Take a different route back and on both routes out and back...observe everything...the people, the trees, the buildings......look for things that are new to you. I don't know what's missing about riding for you, but seems like being in the catbird's seat so far as being able to see the world, is one good reason to get out and ride.....that is it for me....a permanent wanderlust and insatiable curiosity about what is directly in front of me, and around the next bend.

RoadKing
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: Road King

Post by RoadKing »

I've always been confounded by the stories of bikes just sitting for long periods of time and no desire nor need to ride. Since I was 14 the wind has been my love and HD my addiction. Long down times disrupt my life.
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury…
Signifying nothing”

Signifying monkey, stay up in your tree. Always lying and signifying, but you better not monkey with me.

OldCoot
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: SOLD Suzuki S50

Re: The thrill is gone... and now it's back...

Post by OldCoot »

I understand what it means to lose the thrill. I lost it a couple of years ago, after 50 years of riding, when I had my second and third heart attacks... bike sat for a year without riding it. I finally sold it in March last year. Sad day. Then I got the news in July that I had to have a heart transplant or go on in-home hospice. My cardiologist didn't think I'd last 6 more months. Well... I've reached ten months so far... not breathing real well... but I got a wild hair and called the guy who bought my bike to see if he still liked it ... he said he was "saving it" for me... so I bought it back from him... and rode it home this morning...

Paid a little less that he paid me a year ago, so that covered the taxes and tags, and I broke even. (He put less that 500 miles on it and kept it in a garage. I think he really was saving it for me! Seriously, he was a very nice guy.) Don't know how much riding I'll do, or how much longer... but for me, the thrill is back, at least for a little while, and I'm really glad to have it back home....

SOLD: 2008 Black Suzuki Boulevard S50

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

OldCoot, glad to hear you are still riding. :clap:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Cuban
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Intruder

Post by Cuban »

BlacktopTravelr wrote: OldCoot, glad to hear you are still riding. :clap:
Yup. Nice to hear. And that's a great looking motorcycle. [emoji106]

OldCoot
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: SOLD Suzuki S50

Post by OldCoot »

Mattsun,
Didn't mean to hijack your thread... just wanted to show I feel for ya, and say that I'm only going to ride when I want to and really feel up to it... and encourage you to do the same. Hang in there... getting old sucks... so let's make the best of it, right?

One of my sons gave me a plaque that hangs in my garage... right over my workbench, because I need to be reminded. It says...

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Holy Cow, What a Ride!"

I love it. Wish I'd thought of it. :lmao:
SOLD: 2008 Black Suzuki Boulevard S50

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Sportsters

Post by MattSunn »

Just an update. I've been trying to sell some of my bikes to no avail. Nothing but lowballers and people that want my email address.(?) I make it clear that I'm willing to negotiate and my initial asking price is fair. Used motorcycle market here is dead. Doesn't help that we're pretty sparsely populated. I've taken all but one off the market for now. I'll relist in the Spring. I have taken a few rides and I did go check out a different style of bike; a Kaw Z 900. I kind of like it and ergonomically it sorta works. Lightest clutch I've ever felt on a motorcycle which helps with the hand. Not sure I'd pull the trigger, because I haven't been able to convince myself I should continue doing this. I think that Kaw would be fairly difficult to unload. I have been tinkering with a few of the bikes but only because they need some small stuff done to them in order to sell. Not onerous work, but not really as enjoyable as it used to be. One good thing will happen this year........I'll hit 70 and no longer be eligible for Jury Duty! [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]

lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by lonerider »

tabasco wrote:...Why commit to not riding anymore? Whittle it down to one low-maintenance bike, like I don't know ... a sport tourer ... a beemer or something ... and if you ever get the urge to ride, it will be there. Once a year take it to the shop and go have breakfast while they tune it up. ...
Yup, this is good advice! If you sell them all you will have regrets. :rag:

jeffcoslacker
Back on the Road
My Bike: Kugelblitz-Kriegshammer 2200

Post by jeffcoslacker »

I have arthritis and carpal tunnel and God knows what else in my hands from years of wrenching and exertion, and riding any distance/time has always been a problem in this regard ever since 45 years old or so, getting worse all the time.

My solid mount Sporty just KILLED my hands. Much as I loved riding that bike, I also couldn't wait to get off of it.

Then when I had that XJ650 Maxim I stumbled onto a very good solution. A friend gave me a pair of custom grips he was going to put on his big Vulcan, then went another direction. They were big fat metal o-ring grips, heavy as lead and about 1.75" wide at least...I stuffed them on there and presto change-o, totally different experience, far as the hands are concerned.

The weight eats up most of the buzz, and the large size is SO much easier to grip for a long time.

You might try, if you haven't. [emoji106]

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by JFL Live »

Cuban wrote:
BlacktopTravelr wrote: OldCoot, glad to hear you are still riding. :clap:
Yup. Nice to hear. And that's a great looking motorcycle. [emoji106]
Times three! [emoji106]

Hang in there!!! :cheers:
_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by tabasco »

MattSunn wrote:I'll hit 70 and no longer be eligible for Jury Duty! [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]
And forced 401k withdrawals if you have any

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Must be a state thing! We are still called for jury duty in Kentucky above 70. :bonk:

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by MattSunn »

old time rider wrote:Must be a state thing! We are still called for jury duty in Kentucky above 70. :bonk:
I should have worded that differently. I'd still be allowed to serve if I wanted to, I'm just not obligated anymore. I never really had any problem serving on jury duty, it was always interesting. Up until my most recent service earlier this year; I didn't feel like going this time. But it's over with and I'm done. [emoji106]

MattSunn
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by MattSunn »

Went back to the Yamakawazuki dealer today to look at that Z 900 again. Hmm.......

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Less than a year ago at 70 on jury we indited some of the local low life that most of us knew and they were out and about before our time was over! The over and over of being let go burns me so much! :hellfire: Tent prisons and chain gangs would suit me fine now. :putput:
Paul my main run against in the 77-87 in my drag strip days on suzuki fours were the 900 and 1000 KZ. The Suzuki fours with equal riders were better at hole shots for the most part. The GS 750/GS 1000 fours were so much like the Kaw 900/1000 KZ fours.You can swap carbs,banks and all from one to the other and use same depress tool to get a shim out. Lots of KZ owners put the shorter seat off the new KZR ? My mind is fading a little now. :bonk: You know the custom one with shorter seat,mag wheels,and other stuff to look more custom. The first year 1993 KZ 903 had a black motor and 28 flat top carbs.1976 the last 900 went to 26 carbs just like the 750 Suzuki for better mid range.1977 KZ 1000 replaced the 900.