Battery in SUV kills driver and child.

Keep it civil
n-trude
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: Honda GW Trike

Battery in SUV kills driver and child.

Post by n-trude »

I saw this and it made me think, just how we never know what might happen.

This SUV had the battery under the drivers area. They had a minor fender bender wreck.
The responders said the two in the SUV were passed out. When the broke the window they
smelled rotten eggs. NOW they think the battery put off a gas that killed them.

http://nbc4i.com/2016/10/04/dangerous-f ... -and-baby/

SuzyRidr2
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki VL1500

Re: Battery in SUV kills driver and child.

Post by SuzyRidr2 »

Assistant Medical Examiner Dr. Gary Utz says he suspects ....
Interesting, but why don't these people wait until they get the results of forensic analyses so they can go public with facts instead of theories?
“It’s unprecedented,” Utz says. “I haven’t been able to find another case.”
All the more reason to wait ... :uhh:
lovineveryminuteofit

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Assistant Medical Examiner Dr. Gary Utz could have told the news media we have no answers as to what the cause of death was, but instead he chose to give an opinion and that is what the article tells. My question is why put the battery under the drivers seat? Porsche couldn't find battery space under the hood? If I was a member of the family I would sue Porsche and the battery manufacturer. I am sue happy all of a sudden.
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Spyder
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: S50----

Post by Spyder »

I don't know about the newer models,but VW has been putting the battery under the rear seat for decades. (at least they did in the 50's & 60's Beetles). :notsayin:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Spyder wrote:I don't know about the newer models,but VW has been putting the battery under the rear seat for decades. (at least they did in the 50's & 60's Beetles). :notsayin:
I agree that putting this info out before it has been proved doesn't show much good sense.

There have been a lot of vehicles that put batteries under the seats and floor boards. Usually they had a sealed panel like the VW, that prevented the off gassing to enter the cabin.

Not real sure what went wrong in this situation, especially since all new batteries are not vented.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.