Got ran off the road by 18 wheeler

Keep it civil
BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Got ran off the road by 18 wheeler

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Yesterday on the way back from Tulsa to get the flea and tick spray for the dogs I got ran off the road by an 18 wheeler. I was going thru a town that had a few lights and I was behind an 18 wheeler with one on my left. When the light turned green we started off and I hung back a little so the truck in front of me could see me in his mirrors with the truck still on my left. Right after we went thru the next light the truck on my left started moving over into my lane :eek: , now I am sure he could see me because I could see him in that little mirror he had. Anyway after he gets about halfway into my lane the truck behind me hits his horn a couple of times and the truck moving over stops coming into my lane, but by that time I am already on the shoulder giving him plenty of room if he wants it. I just ease back a little to let him have my spot and get behind him and wave him on over into my lane. About 5 miles out of town I pass him and give him the peace sign to let him know there are no hard feeling from me. It's just that I an sure he saw me as he pulled up beside me so he knew I was in that lane and I could clearly see him in that little mirror when he started moving over. :blink:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

Re: Got ran off the road by 18 wheeler

Post by DevilsFan »

Ya just didn't duck your head and ride underneath his trailer like all the stunt guys do?!?! Lame!!! [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2]
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Maybe if I had been a bit younger... ok a few (3or4) decades younger. :lolfall:

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Post by tabasco »

You were wise to act friendly afterwards, while knowing what you know ... you can only lose provoking a dirtbag like that. Ride safe.

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Post by tabasco »

tabasco wrote:You were wise to act friendly afterwards, while knowing what you know ... you can only lose provoking a dirtbag like that on the road. Ride safe.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

I don't think he did it on purpose, but who knows except for him. The trucker behind me saw what was happening and let him know real quick I was there. It's strange for all the years I have been riding and, more than a few times boxed in by four trucks, this has never happened. Once on I-40 I even asked, via CB radio, a truck behind me to slow down so I could let him in front of me when I was boxed in. He was more than happy to have me behind him and not in front of him. :lol:

But I got off topic. I know that people see things but it just doesn't register or maybe he thought I was further back than I really was. Hell, I wasn't 10 ft behind his cab and could see him looking at that little mirror. Anyway, it turned out ok for everyone. :clap:

n-trude
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: Honda GW Trike

Post by n-trude »

I was riding to Maggie Valley in NC. to a IA Rally once. A semi was not slowing down to run up the mountain and he was on my bike bumper.
Scared the heck out of me. Also once on I-80 near the Windy City. I got boxed in by 4 semi's and I hope it never happens again.

Glad it came out ok John. We don't heal so fast when we get older... :blink:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Mike being boxed in has never bothered me, but to have a truck come over into my lane when he knows I am there just means he knows I have no choice but to let him in simply because of his size. As for trucks and mountains that is a totally different thing. As I said in my post about that, those guys don't slow down for anyone. :bonk:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Oh but I have, but I was in the car and behind the guy when it blew. :eek: I have been behind a truck when the retread came apart and that is not fun. I also never ride right beside the tires except for passing of course. When riding you have to have a lot of faith that those things won't happen to you and I have that faith. :bow:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Riding close to trucks scares the crap out of me.

Had too many close calls.

A friend of mine was passing a truck when a retread came off and hit his forks. Knocked the front end out from under him.

I have driven trucks and it is easy to loose a bike rider in the background clutter, especially if the bike is close to the cab. Sometimes all you can see is the riders head. Even though BT could see the driver, that doesn't mean the driver could see very much of him and what he did see was lost in the background.

A few months ago I almost hit a bike when changing lanes in my 97 Buick LeSabre. It was night and a misting rain. The headlight of the bike was lost in the headlight of the car behind him. In the inside mirror I could see the car, in the outside mirror I could see the 2 headlights of, I thought, the car. Looking over my shoulder the C pillar hid the bike. I knew there had been a bike behind me, and had lost sight him, so I ask my wife to check. From the passenger seat she could see the bike. Only the fact that I knew there had been a bike back there kept me from hitting him. If I had not been a bike rider and noticed the bike to start with, there would have been a serious crash. 4 lanes of traffic coming from the San Diego airport, could have been a major incident.

Please avoid running too close to the side of vehicles, especially on the right. Trucks are especially bad because of the height of them, looking from the drivers seat to the right, the driver can't see most of the lane next to him. Ride way to the right of the lane and pay close attention to what the driver is doing.

Even as a bike rider, who really tries to pay attention, I have come close to hitting bikes more than once. They flat out disappear in the background.

Sometimes I think it would be a good idea for the riders to wear one of those orange flashing caution lights on the helmet. [emoji2]
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

98VS1400 wrote:
BlacktopTravelr wrote:Mike being boxed in has never bothered me...
Apparently, you've never seen a tire de-tread on the highway. That will kill a guy.
Yup...I go to great lengths not to hang out behind an 18 wheeler...or even next to one.
-DBTO

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

I have been known to stop and clear the road of a retread that came apart. I hate to think of another rider that may not have a choice except to run over that piece of rubber and maybe get a flat because of it or worse end up getting hurt somehow. :OhNo;

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

BlacktopTravelr wrote:I have been known to stop and clear the road of a retread that came apart. I hate to think of another rider that may not have a choice except to run over that piece of rubber and maybe get a flat because of it or worse end up getting hurt somehow. :OhNo;
I have cleared roads of hazards, as long as traffic isn't heavy. Everything from a retread, to tobacco leaves.

When I was living in NC, I almost lost it when I hit a tobacco leaf in a tight turn. Stopped and pulled it to the ditch, pulled 8 more leaves off the road in the next half mile. Dam tobacco is hazardous to your health. [emoji2]
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.