The Dragon came about in the 90's

Keep it civil
n-trude
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: Honda GW Trike

The Dragon came about in the 90's

Post by n-trude »

The Dragon in Ten. NC was not much known, until the 90's.
Then the internet, made it a much, talked about, place to go.

I had a IA Rally to go to at the Best Western, in Asheville NC. in 2006.
So on the Monday before, I rode to Ten. to ride the Dragon, first before the Rally.
I rode on my custom, 1998, Intruder 800, over the Parkway, from Townsend, to 129 hwy.
At Deal's Gap. I ate, with Harley Dealer, and his wife, and a retired sailor, on a Zuki 109.
They invited me to ride with them, to show me some good roads. We went south, about
5 miles. I was last, and in a uphill, curve, and then a biker from Canada, laid his bike down,
in the curve, going the other way. He yelled "watch Out" I think. It happened quick.

He slid into me and took off my front wheel. I was down, in the road, in the curve, with my leg
under, my bike. I just knew, a car, or bike, might come and hit me. Canada rider came from the ditch.
Helped lift off my bike from my leg. We pulled it off the road. I said its a good day! He said why? I said
we had a wreck and we are both, standing. MY bike swept into the air and I landed on my left side.
He took off, my front end, wheel and all.

Later I could not lift my arm, to close the door on my Truck. So I went to Hospital, got checked out.
Nothing broken. But Dr. said you messed something up. Check it out when you get home. I did it was
my Rotator Cuff, torn, hardest thing I ever had to come back form.

So I went to IA Rally with my bike on a trailer.
I was 58. I loved that bike, custom, drag bars, extended foot controls, custom seat. side lic plate, no turn signals.
It had a custom, front wheel, I had paid $598 for. I rebuilt the bike, and the front wheel, cost me $950 second time.
Some here were maybe at that rally. 2006.

NE_FL
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VS1400

Re: The Dragon came about in the 90's

Post by NE_FL »

I've never ridden the Dragon, but I've been a few miles east of there on hwy 28 out of Franklin NC, and that was about all I could handle. If you're in the area, give that one a shot.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Riders coming the other way are all ways what I look for.The first time I went in the early 90s never saw so many Ducatis before.About any road close is good and lots better imo. Last few times on it was wet or raining.
Is that Dr.Bob to the right? I only met him one time at a NC rally,and he was half asleep or drunk? :cheers: He knew a lot of good suff about suzuki and liked his old Harley allso.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

I don't know what road I was on except it was in Tenn and had a lot of mountains. I also found out you can't outrun an 18 wheeler once he starts down that mountain. And he ain't about to let your slow ass in front of him. I had my little 66 Nova up to 110 by the speedo :eek: and that truck was still trying to pass me on the right side. :lol: The really scary part was when I looked up and saw another 18 wheel coming down the other mountain and I was in his lane. I could hear the horns a blowing but there was no place for me to go since the car behind the 18 wheeler I was trying to pass wasn't slowing down to let me back in. So I just kept the foot in the gas and waited for one of them to let me in. :blink: I know I pissed a couple of truckers off that day. :bonk:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

66&67 best lookin Novas ever made :cheers: .The dragon has cops on it lots more than twenty years ago so most the bad sport bikes go some where else. The cruisers thanking they are sport bikes :lmao: are most of what wreck any more.Just drive with in your skill or just cruise slow and enjoy it.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

I know I wasn't on the dragon as there weren't a lot of tight curves anyplace on this road. From now on I just stay behind the trucks and crawl up the mountain and zoom down it. :lolfall:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

n-trude
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: Honda GW Trike

Post by n-trude »

Yes Dr. Bob Laffs her Dad and the tall lady was her dad's girlfriend.

BillyJack took this picture. I have pictures at the wreck sit some where. 10 years ago.