An American Icon has passed away.........:-(

Keep it civil
Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

An American Icon has passed away.........:-(

Post by Designer »

Greta Freidman passed away a week ago at the age of 92.

Greta Friedman, the woman behind history's most famous kiss, passed away last Thursday, September 8 at age 92. Greta was immortalized in the iconic photo by Alfred Eisenstaedt, "VJ Day in Times Square" – a photo, a kiss, and a moment that defined a generation. World War II had finally come to an end, and spontaneous celebrations erupted across the country, one of the most famous happening in New York's Time Square. This moment of euphoric celebration captured in the photo features Sailor George Mendonsa and Greta, who at the time was a dental assistant. Friedman, then 21 and a dental assistant, was in Times Square when the news of Japan’s surrender to the United States was announced on a billboard, marking the end of the war.

“Suddenly, I was grabbed by a sailor,” she told Veterans History Project in 2005. “It wasn’t that much of a kiss. It was more of a jubilant act that he didn’t have to go back. The photo, taken by legendary photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt, was published in Life magazine a few weeks later. But the identities of the two people were a mystery. It wasn’t until 1980 when both Friedman and George Mendonsa, the sailor in the photo, were determined to be the couple in the photo

“The reason he grabbed somebody dressed like a nurse, was that he felt so very grateful to the nurses who took care of the wounded,” she told Veterans History Project.

http://fox6now.com/2016/09/10/greta-fri ... ead-at-92/

Rest In Peace, Greta. :( :bow:

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

JFL Live
Joined a 950cc Club

Re: An American Icon has passed away.........:-(

Post by JFL Live »

Rest in peace...

_I"T"|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**")_)

You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome...

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Another photograph of the same scene

U.S. Navy photo journalist Victor Jorgensen captured another view of the same scene, which was published in the New York Times the following day. Jorgensen titled his photograph Kissing the War Goodbye. It shows less of Times Square in the background, lacking the characteristic view of the complex intersection so that the location needs to be identified, it is dark and shows few details of the main subjects, and it does not show the lower legs and feet of the subjects.

Unlike the Eisenstaedt photograph, which is protected by copyright, this Navy photograph is in the public domain as it was produced by a federal government employee on official duty. While the angle of the photograph may be less interesting than that of Eisenstaedt's photo, it clearly shows the actual location of the iconic kiss occurring in the front of the Chemical Bank and Trust building, with the Walgreens pharmacy signage on the building façade visible in the background.

The surprised woman on the left in Jorgensen's photograph has been positively identified as Kay Hughes Dorius of Utah.

duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

She probably, or maybe, lived longer than she wanted, but if she was still in the mood for love, life for her would still have been a good thing indeed! :mrgreen:

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Suzuki Johnny wrote:Another photograph of the same scene

U.S. Navy photo journalist Victor Jorgensen captured another view of the same scene, which was published in the New York Times the following day. Jorgensen titled his photograph Kissing the War Goodbye. It shows less of Times Square in the background, lacking the characteristic view of the complex intersection so that the location needs to be identified, it is dark and shows few details of the main subjects, and it does not show the lower legs and feet of the subjects.

Unlike the Eisenstaedt photograph, which is protected by copyright, this Navy photograph is in the public domain as it was produced by a federal government employee on official duty. While the angle of the photograph may be less interesting than that of Eisenstaedt's photo, it clearly shows the actual location of the iconic kiss occurring in the front of the Chemical Bank and Trust building, with the Walgreens pharmacy signage on the building façade visible in the background.

The surprised woman on the left in Jorgensen's photograph has been positively identified as Kay Hughes Dorius of Utah.

Now this is good info!

I didn't know there were two pictures taken. And you post some good info about the people and the background in the photo you posted...the one I am most familiar with.

Thanx! :cheers: [emoji106]

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Hey wait a minute..... :evil: .....Didn't he brutally hold her against her will and violently molest her? Just sayin'! [emoji2]

Yo-

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

YoDude wrote:Hey wait a minute..... :evil: .....Didn't he brutally hold her against her will and violently molest her? Just sayin'! [emoji2]

Yo-
That was before the pic and them became famous. :OhNo; [space] :soda:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by YoDude »

Yeah, try to do that sorta thing these days and see how long you end up in jail. :uhh:

Yo-