"Just tired of it all" (Part 2 - the job)

Keep it civil
DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

"Just tired of it all" (Part 2 - the job)

Post by DevilsFan »

I've been teaching elementary school for 10 years now. Had an incident this past week that's really put me into a realm I never thought I'd be in regarding my profession.

I won't get into details but this is the first time in these 10 years that I really just don't get our education system, the demands they place on the teachers all the while placing handcuffs on us and limiting our ability to actually CARE about our students - those same kids that seem to spend more time with us than they do with anyone else.

Never ever thought I would feel like, literally, calling it quits on Friday evening. But I was so close to just saying, "That's it. I'm done."

No one was hurt, forgiveness and apologies were thrown by everyone - parents, teachers and administration. Incidents were explained and quelled. But the aftermath has left me feeling disgusting.

It highlighted like never before how our parenting, education system, HUMANISM, has gone in the shitter. We can no longer do things out of love or caring that we as kids once grew up to respect and admire. We can no longer teach our kids what caring is about because we're too busy making sure we follow the media headlines and the "10-minutes-of-fame" mentality that has corrupted this country in a way that is setting our future generation up for total chaos. We continue to raise our children as if there's a serial killer that lives in every other house on the street. We try and justify that if "A" happens "here" then it's OK but if "A" happens over here then it's not! We, the adults in the room, teach our kids that they can do whatever they want until it "hurts their feelings" and then they can claim that their actions were not their fault, and blame someone else.

We no longer teach...OR ALLOW...our children to be..........kids!

So, what does one do when they get to this point??? I know we've all been there before so would love to hear your thoughts.

(And yes, I already know what Tbeck would do!!! :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: )

I will follow this thread up after reading everyone's take with a nice, warm, fuzzy story...like 98 did!!! [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2]
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Re: "Just tired of it all" (Part 2 - the job)

Post by enforcer »

Our educational system has always been in the shitter, at least where I live. And after seeing how disrespectful some of the teachers my daughter has had over the years can be, I can see why it has become so PC.

Don't get me wrong, teaching is a thankless, demanding job but once you feel like you don't give a shit what happens, it's time to find a new career or a new grade level of students. Perhaps college?

There's no warm fuzzy to be had here. I had some great teachers and some piss poor ones. When the educational system bothers you in your current position, it's time to seek employment in another district, state, country, grade level, etc. Monotony and repetition coupled with restrictions will make you miserable.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

I retired from IBM with a early buyout in Nov. of 1992.Two years pay and $24,000 ,insurance ,and full retirement when I would have had 30 years in so three years for me with 27 in.After ten months in best job I ever had in a wind tunnel testing cars .Lots of them the public would not see for two years.Ford pulled works from some tunnels and they were 80% of our work.I was oldest in age but less time than anyone so went in first lay off.Only time ever laid off a job. Went in to school bus training and started as a temp.First day of school filled in for a sick gal and she never came back so never missed a day of work and got the full time a few months later.
I love kids so much and some days best job I ever had. Other days like yours and all most walked off.School had more brown nose and dumb people that think you are dirt than the four factories I worked at.Enough good and fun people mixed in to keep going.Tried to be fair and treat all of the kids good.Lord knows some sure had it rough.Two brothers I hauled at three places in five years were like some.Move when the rent was way over due or kicked out.Dad and mom not stable but at least they had both most the time.Around ten years later was in a fast food and a kid working in the back came up front when I was getting the take out. " You were the best bus driver I ever had ",he said.'We did not have anything but you all ways told me good morning and good by when I got off and treated me like I was someone." I called him by name and told him ,"thank you"He was so young when I hauled him all most forgot his name.Little things like that make you feel good years later.Got a lot of letters from little kids telling me they missed me and hope I enjoyed my Alaska trip I told them I was going on my last day of work.The run up hugs I still get from time to time are nice all so.Fuzzy not as good as the cops but still about kids. :kiss:

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by DevilsFan »

Enforcer...I agree and I know there are some bad teachers. None of us ever want to admit that we are one of those "bad teachers" but I will say this, for years I've been bucking their system. I get reprimanded...until my end of year test scores come back. My students for the last 8 out of 10 years I've been teaching have made the highest scores than any other teacher - of any grade! But as stated in my OP, I like to have fun in my classroom, clown around and make the kids feel like we're all a big family. The district hates that because it doesn't follow their curriculum in making elementary students into high schooler's.
And I also know, as my dad's always told me the same thing...if you just don't care anymore, then it's time for a career change. I do still care about the kids so I will definitely be doing some soul-searching in the next few weeks and go from there. I don't like quitting anything so I'd prefer to see the year through.

Old Time Rider...I have a few kids and parents that still stay in touch with me, some I would have never thought I fought with them night and day to get their work done! That's the reward of teaching is when the kids see you years down the road and remind you what an impact they've made on you.
Good for you in changing the way that young man's feelings to a positive! [emoji106]
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

DevilsFan wrote:Enforcer...I agree and I know there are some bad teachers. None of us ever want to admit that we are one of those "bad teachers" but I will say this, for years I've been bucking their system. I get reprimanded...until my end of year test scores come back. My students for the last 8 out of 10 years I've been teaching have made the highest scores than any other teacher - of any grade! But as stated in my OP, I like to have fun in my classroom, clown around and make the kids feel like we're all a big family. The district hates that because it doesn't follow their curriculum in making elementary students into high schooler's.
And I also know, as my dad's always told me the same thing...if you just don't care anymore, then it's time for a career change. I do still care about the kids so I will definitely be doing some soul-searching in the next few weeks and go from there. I don't like quitting anything so I'd prefer to see the year through.

Old Time Rider...I have a few kids and parents that still stay in touch with me, some I would have never thought I fought with them night and day to get their work done! That's the reward of teaching is when the kids see you years down the road and remind you what an impact they've made on you.
Good for you in changing the way that young man's feelings to a positive! [emoji106]
Don't think of it as quitting. Think of it as moving on. If you still care, there's still hope, perhaps in a different district where your methods are praised instead of sanctioned. There has to be more than one school district in Florida, right?

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by DevilsFan »

Don't think of it as quitting. Think of it as moving on. If you still care, there's still hope, perhaps in a different district where your methods are praised instead of sanctioned. There has to be more than one school district in Florida, right?
Yes, there are many. Unfortunately, the one I currently work in is one of the highest paying. I'd be losing a lot of money going to another. That's the pay off with the education system - the more resources ($$$), the more systematic they are. Maybe it's time to really get serious on moving to Georgia. Been thinking of that for a while. There's a November Teacher's Job Fair that I can sign up for. I think this week is karma's way of pushing me to at least research the Georgia school districts.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

DevilsFan wrote:
Yes, there are many. Unfortunately, the one I currently work in is one of the highest paying. I'd be losing a lot of money going to another. That's the pay off with the education system - the more resources ($$$), the more systematic they are. Maybe it's time to really get serious on moving to Georgia. Been thinking of that for a while. There's a November Teacher's Job Fair that I can sign up for. I think this week is karma's way of pushing me to at least research the Georgia school districts.
[emoji106]

All joking aside, between money and happiness, happiness is more important.

HARRIS
FLAT TIRE!
My Bike: VS 800- HONDA VALKYRIE- MAGNA

Post by HARRIS »

IT'S BEEN IN THE SYSTEM FOR A VERY LONG TIME, REPROGRAM AND INDOCTRINATE CHILDREN INTO A WHOLE DIFFERENT WAY OF LIFE AND THOUGHTS THAN EVER WERE AT ONE TIME, THE RIGHT AND PROPER WAYS OF LIVING. FAR TOO MANY STANDARDS HAVE BEEN REDUCED TO ACCOMMODATE THE LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATORS ON A POLITICALLY CORRECT WAY OF LOOKING AT LIFE, THOSE WHO CAN THINK, ARE FRUSTRATED WITH THE " NEW " WAYS OF LIFE. MORAL AND ETHICAL. I KINDA IGNORE THE NEW DICTATES AND CONTINUE ON DOING WHAT I THINK IS RIGHT AND REFUSE TO CAVE IN. DON'T CUT OFF YOUR NOSE TO SPITE YOUR FACE. HELP GET THINGS BACK ON THE RIGHT TRACK, MUCH WILL BE CHANGING AFTER NOV.....
Luck & Experience:
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by DevilsFan »

Thanks all. I enjoy the advice and experiences you've shared. Helps to narrow things down in the decision process! [emoji106]

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

Raise? What the hell is that? I haven't had one in almost 6 years. Boo hoo. I'm still making more now than I would at other jobs. And I don't necessarily like my profession either. But it beats unemployment. Content would be the word I'd choose, for now.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

98VS1400 wrote:
enforcer wrote:Raise? What the hell is that? I haven't had one in almost 6 years. Boo hoo. I'm still making more now than I would at other jobs. And I don't necessarily like my profession either. But it beats unemployment. Content would be the word I'd choose, for now.
You not getting a raise has nothing to do with me not getting a raise. If your profession was like mine, then you'd get yearly raises. When I started in 2000, the county gave us 5% raises every year until 2007. That stopped until 2015. That's 8 years with no raises, while EVERY agency around us continued to get them. Mind you, my specific agency is underpaid in comparison to other agencies of equal size in this area to start with. In 2011, I was making $11 and change per hour! That was our starting pay then; pretty sick comparatively. In the 8 years we didn't get raises, we fell even further behind. As late as last year, a deputy with my department could go to Tampa and start $12,000 per year MORE than we pay. That also affords a 20 year retirement, and unlimited (relatively speaking) off duty employment opportunities, like working football games, etc.

I don't know what you do for a living, or what it's worth. But I do know my profession and I can tell ya, with or w/out regular raises, we're woefully underpaid considering all that's involved. And that wasn't even the point of my prior post!
I didn't blame you for not getting a raise. Up until 6 years ago, we did get yearly raises. We were union and it was in the contract to get a 3% cost of living raise. When were bought out by a larger conglomerate, that went out the window. Along with our company 401K match and other benefits, like nearly paid health insurance. I will tell you I don't make $11 and change, but I have no retirement package to speak of anymore, unless I fund it 100% myself. And I don't see any raise in my future.

I know that wasn't the point of your post, but it sounded like it was a bit about money. I'll tell you, happiness can't pay my bills. My job really is the only aspect of my life I'm disappointed with and with the economy being what it is, I'm not going to find a better paying one in the industry I'm currently in.

Point being, if I were Devilsfan, I wouldn't sacrifice too much money for happiness.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

98VS1400 wrote: Just like getting more money didn't cure the issues for my LEO friends. They all thought the lower pay was the issue, in reality, it was just a contributing factor and not the real problem.
Do you honestly believe that? I think it could have very well been the problem, if it was addressed without them having to switch jobs. Don't you think?

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

98VS1400 wrote:Generally, that means the expectations of this profession don't necessarily align with their Millennial outlook. For them, getting more money didn't fix the problem because their outlook remained the same.

But like in NY, the guys in Tampa roll up to a call with 4-5 other cars. They literally have to fight over who is going to take the call because there are so many of the guys on scene. The trade off is that with so many other cops on the street, advancement is harder there. You have to really stand out to make a name for yourself and get promoted. But, the guys who left my agency with many years under their belt, they enjoy the work because there is less of it, and they get paid more money to do it.
Outlook not withstanding, a career change that early could be a blessing in disguise.

Doing more for less sounds like a no brainer. Being promoted shouldn't mean much if you're already going to make as much or more than if you were promoted by a smaller department, right?

Being further invested and closer to retirement bolsters its own incentive to stay invested and then move to Tampa and do as your former NYPD coworker and double dip your retirement fund.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

I could not teach kids, I went to school with loads of them, they were all arse holes.

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by DevilsFan »

I know what you're saying Keith. And that's exactly what I'm thinking.

What I need to do is research school districts. I'll also look into some of the charter schools, although I'm not a big fan of them. If I find something that fits my style, modes and ethics of teaching then I'll give it a shot.
If not, then I need to think about another career field.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

Fred wrote:I could not teach kids, I went to school with loads of them, they were all arse holes.
They probably thought the same thing about you! :mrgreen:

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by DevilsFan »

98VS1400 wrote: The Pasco Sheriff's Office is hiring! I can put in a good reference, too! :lmao:

Plus, its still FRS. And you'd be able to do something else besides law enforcement here. We always need analysts, and Child Protection Investigators.

Yeah...I'd last about a day at the Sheriff's unit before being relieved of duty - WITHOUT paid administrative leave - for beating some idiot's ass!!! :evil:

But I will look at their website and see if there's any positions posted. Keep me in mind if there's something decent! :cheers:

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by DevilsFan »

YoDude wrote:
Fred wrote:I could not teach kids, I went to school with loads of them, they were all arse holes.

Yo-

:funnylast: :funnylast: :funnylast:

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

YoDude wrote:

Yo-

:lmao: :lmao: Hillarious how do you think this up. :clap:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Hey Fred, you sometimes remind me of the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz.... he didn't have a brain either. :lolfall:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree: