Chrome

Keep it civil
azazelakira
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: VS1400 2002

Chrome

Post by azazelakira »

So I notice that things that get old start getting rust, I hate rust.
I was thinking on buying a kit to re-chrome bolts and small parts but they contain acids and I need polishing wheels and motors for this polishers.
Sending this to re-chrome will be another $2k and months of waiting.
What do you guys would do?
Buy individual screws and little parts?
Get the re-chrome kit?
Send to a Chrome shop the parts?
More RPMs please :putput:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: Chrome

Post by Designer »

That is an issue with chromed bolts/screws. The tools used to tighten them crack off the Plating...then the rust you mention sets in..

I switched all my fasteners to Stainless Steel. And in keeping with the European High-Tech styling I wanted, ..socket heads.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1193&start=125

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

I remember seeing a VS1400 stainless steel bolt kit one time. It was a couple hundred bolts that were supposed to replace all the noticeable ones on the Intruder.

Redoing the chrome is not really worth the expense.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Concours 1400

Post by Tbeck »

Yoshimura "stain magic" and some clean cloth and/or a Dremel polishing wheel.
A tube of the stain magic is very expensive but it removes just about anything and polish's up very nice. I'm sure everyone has seen the brown and black/blue pipe headers on BMW motorcycles, and this stuff was created to make it go away and restore the pipes to their original stainless or chrome color.
I've used it to clean up the headers on both of my beemers and I only use a cloth to apply and buff them clean. I believe there's a video showing how well it works on YouTube.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Not sure about rusty bolts, but Turtle Wax chrome polish with rust remover cleans pitted chrome pretty good.
For blue headers, I use Blue Job.

azazelakira

Post by azazelakira »

Designer wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:14 am
That is an issue with chromed bolts/screws. The tools used to tighten them crack off the Plating...then the rust you mention sets in..

I switched all my fasteners to Stainless Steel. And in keeping with the European High-Tech styling I wanted, ..socket heads.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1193&start=125
I will look for them

azazelakira

Post by azazelakira »

sgtcall wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:55 am
I remember seeing a VS1400 stainless steel bolt kit one time. It was a couple hundred bolts that were supposed to replace all the noticeable ones on the Intruder.

Redoing the chrome is not really worth the expense.
Yeah it gets up there just for the bolts to look pretty

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

You can get stainless engine bolt kits on eBay pretty cheap:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/26327247682 ... R_LQ1bneYw

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:48 pm

I'd say that would be a good deal.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

sgtcall wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:27 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:48 pm

I'd say that would be a good deal.
Yep - 80 bolts for just under $40. Cheaper than you could buy them for from a bolt supplier.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

The problem is that as soon as your tool starts applying torque to those stainless bolt's, you'll be no better off because they will rust. I don't believe they've come up with an anti rust bolt yet.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Tbeck wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:01 am
The problem is that as soon as your tool starts applying torque to those stainless bolt's, you'll be no better off because they will rust. I don't believe they've come up with an anti rust bolt yet.
T - they are stainless steel, not chrome plated.

Tbeck
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Tbeck »

Yep and they will rust hills.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Stainless Steel resists rust mainly because of it's high Chromium and Nickel content.

Halides are one of the most serious causes of stainless steel rust. Halides include chloride, fluoride, bromide, iodide and some inter-halogen compounds. Chloride is the most common in nature and daily life and as we know, is widely present in salt, sauce, physiological saline, bleach, disinfectant, salt water lake, and sea water, etc. If stainless steel is polluted by these factors for a long time and is not cleaned in time, it will rust or tarnish. Other things such as long-term exposure to inorganic acids such as nitric acid, sulfuric acid, hydrochloric acid, hydrofluoric acid, etc. Organic acids such as acetic acid, formic acid, Alkaline such as sodium hydroxide (NaOH), can cause it to rust.

There are some grades made that have low chromium/nickel content that tend to rust easier that others when exposed to these harsh chemicals. However, the overwhelmingly vast majority of Stainless Steel fasteners are not of that grade and are not usually exposed to those chemicals on a motorcycle,...unlike say, on an ocean-going vessel.

So,....the overwhelmingly vast majority of Stainless Steel fasters on a Motorcycle Will Not Rust.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

Designer wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:42 am
Stainless Steel resists rust mainly because of it's high Chromium and Nickel content.

Halides are one of the most serious causes of stainless steel rust. Halides include chloride, fluoride, bromide, iodide and some inter-halogen compounds. Chloride is the most common in nature and daily life and as we know, is widely present in salt, sauce, physiological saline, bleach, disinfectant, salt water lake, and sea water, etc. If stainless steel is polluted by these factors for a long time and is not cleaned in time, it will rust or tarnish. Other things such as long-term exposure to inorganic acids such as nitric acid, sulfuric acid, hydrochloric acid, hydrofluoric acid, etc. Organic acids such as acetic acid, formic acid, Alkaline such as sodium hydroxide (NaOH), can cause it to rust.

There are some grades made that have low chromium/nickel content that tend to rust easier that others when exposed to these harsh chemicals. However, the overwhelmingly vast majority of Stainless Steel fasteners are not of that grade and are not usually exposed to those chemicals on a motorcycle,...unlike say, on an ocean-going vessel.

So,....the overwhelmingly vast majority of Stainless Steel fasters on a Motorcycle Will Not Rust.

https://www.forgedproduct.com/forging-m ... ily%20life.
-DBTO

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Thank you MadCow for posting the link to the Professional Article on this subject. :bow:
Being in a hurry at the time, I'd not done so,...as I usually I do so as to provide an Experts Definitive information on a topic of discussion.

This sort of Chemical/Technical info is what I'd researched before converting all the fasteners on my Chopper to Stainless Steel back 19 years ago.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

It's funny how stainless has been to go to metal in marine applications for decades.

Of course, as pointed out, there are different grades of stainless - and usually the cheaper stuff can contain corrosive elements.

Generally speaking though - stainless hardware in auto applications doesn't rust.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:24 pm
It's funny how stainless has been to go to metal in marine applications for decades.

Of course, as pointed out, there are different grades of stainless - and usually the cheaper stuff can contain corrosive elements.

Generally speaking though - stainless hardware in auto applications doesn't rust.
Most of the exposed bolts on my Triumph are stainless. One thing about that, stainless doesn't mix well with aluminum. My neighbor is a machinists that has made custom parts for jet fighters and even the space shuttle. I was changing out the shift peg on the Triumph one day, easy job right, stainless bolt going into a aluminum arm, and the bolt was completely stuck. I ended up snapping it off. He told me aluminum will bond to stainless over time and make getting the two apart hard. But then he took my shifter arm home and an hour later had it good as new and even cut me a new bolt to go with it.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

sgtcall wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:40 pm
hillsy v2 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:24 pm

Most of the exposed bolts on my Triumph are stainless. One thing about that, stainless doesn't mix well with aluminum. My neighbor is a machinists that has made custom parts for jet fighters and even the space shuttle. I was changing out the shift peg on the Triumph one day, easy job right, stainless bolt going into a aluminum arm, and the bolt was completely stuck. I ended up snapping it off. He told me aluminum will bond to stainless over time and make getting the two apart hard. But then he took my shifter arm home and an hour later had it good as new and even cut me a new bolt to go with it.
There's Never Seize for the ones you want to get out again....and red Loctite for the ones you don't.... :ShitGrinandThumb:

And for anything else that's not a bolt....

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

My neighbor said to use no-lock or never seize but I could also use blue Loctite . The blue gives it a firm hold but keeps the two from bonding.